When did beards get popular all of a sudden?

Beards are for ugly people and bald people.
If you are an actual mountain man or do some type of manual labor, then its fine to wear one.

AB stands for Awesome Beard.

5iYVE0IQJ2oLRh1A7gqgEP_I4OmPv5drcJn9V7vEk2YTUgicjpnq-4BT6Qgiao3LET2GBfqfBLCHzyOept_i-UllElrJ0RfpDqaCzWjbHaO1y0HFw8Y=w2120-h1368-p-rw

I've had facial hair for 15 years and the beard trend piss me off especially douchebags like the picture you posted. And every motherfucking craft beer brewer feels the need to have a wild beard.

That said, i look stupid and weird fuck without one.

It's funny cause there was the dual rise of the hipsters and the vet beard.

Lots of vets, who hate hipsters, grew beards to emulate SF dudes and then got pissed about hipsters growing beards.

A beard on a vet is like standard issue to follow their DD214.

So no one is gonna post a pic of their beard. I came for the pics.

I just rock the stubble. I can't go full on beard because the itchiness becomes a total ordeal after a couple of weeks

I'm with Zer. I can't stand how it feels at about the 5 day mark so I trim it down to a 5 o'clock shadow every week.

Some girls are into beards but every girl is into the 5 o'clock shadow. Rock it, get laid, then log in and thank me.

I think they're most popular with guys who have tiny feminine facial bone structure.

THIS.
Thought I wouldn't mind to grow one if I could just to see how it looks. But I'm just not that hairy- can only grow solid mustache and goatee. Sides end up looking scruffy and not cool enough.

I know beards have historically been a biological (and social) sign of masculinity, and a secondary sexual characteristic probably indicative of testosterone value.

It seems in modern times, beards for a while weren't too popular. People ditched them, to instead go for a clean-cut, freshly shaven look.

It seems, about 5 or so years back, there emerged some huge desire in beards. Women started becoming obsessed with bearded, lumberjack men... In some cases, even guys looking a bit homeless (read hipsterish). Naturally, guys became obsessed with beards too. Started trends like #beardgamestrong and #beardgang.

With everything equal, I feel like a woman in the 90s would've snatched up a shaven man without hesitation, and a modern woman would snatch up a bearded dude.

When did this happen?

Why did this happen?

How did this happen?

men-looks-beards-flannels-lumbersexuals.jpg

Are you from a time that they just got popular? Have you been in hiding for the last 7 years? If anything people already went through their beard phase and moved on. This is the downswing of the “trend”.

There was speculation that women prefer beards which is a more traditionally masculine trait during economically hard times. I think it parallels the return of suits for men for the same reason.

This actually makes sense, so that's a good speculation. Studies also say, if I remember correctly, that women prefer masculine faces in developing nations. "Pretty boys" and metros are a 1st world luxury.

This actually makes sense, so that's a good speculation. Studies also say, if I remember correctly, that women prefer masculine faces in developing nations. "Pretty boys" and metros are a 1st world luxury.
The financial crash in 2008 probably jump started the trend but there could also be an anti corporate clean shaven look that fit the period of protest which is still going on. I remembered more people in banking started wearing suits right after that time because their industry as a whole was seen as the ones who fucked it up.

It's funny cause there was the dual rise of the hipsters and the vet beard.

Lots of vets, who hate hipsters, grew beards to emulate SF dudes and then got pissed about hipsters growing beards.

A beard on a vet is like standard issue to follow their DD214.
Lol, nailed it! If you watch Forged in Fire, the guys with the long groomed beards are always vets. The one guy had so much beard oil it glistened. I was afraid he was gonna burst into flames standing next to the forge.

So no one is gonna post a pic of their beard. I came for the pics.

I'll post some tomorrow but have to find some without my face or block out my face. No way I'm giving you sons of bitches any photoshop material!! ;)

I know beards have historically been a biological (and social) sign of masculinity, and a secondary sexual characteristic probably indicative of testosterone value.

It seems in modern times, beards for a while weren't too popular. People ditched them, to instead go for a clean-cut, freshly shaven look.

It seems, about 5 or so years back, there emerged some huge desire in beards. Women started becoming obsessed with bearded, lumberjack men... In some cases, even guys looking a bit homeless (read hipsterish). Naturally, guys became obsessed with beards too. Started trends like #beardgamestrong and #beardgang.

With everything equal, I feel like a woman in the 90s would've snatched up a shaven man without hesitation, and a modern woman would snatch up a bearded dude.

When did this happen?

Why did this happen?

How did this happen?

men-looks-beards-flannels-lumbersexuals.jpg
Ricki Hall is when the metrosexual hipster fully embraced the beard, but taking the longer view, the man who I think ushered in the era of the full beard was Jake Gyllenhaal. I still remember one of those fashion bloggers who will offer commentary on fashion at places where it isn't normally critiqued, like the ones they bring in for the Kathy Lee viewers during the Super Bowl, writing about Jake who was sitting courtside at an NBA game sometime around 2006-2008 by declaring, "Clean shaven is out. The full beard is in." It was definitely when the Lakers were still good. Maybe it was for the launch of Grantland, but I think it was earlier. The blogger then listed another dozen of the heaviest hitting A-celebrities out of Hollywood also rocking full beards (including Leo). There were enough celebrities and it was jarring enough a look at the time that I found the article compelling, and not the typical gab-driven gas you get from fashionistas. He traced the noticeable trend to Jake as the source including dates.

I can't recall anything earlier. This was the closest I could find (from 2007):
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&q=jake+gylenhaal+full+beard

Legit had no clue that people had such strong opinions on beards. Don’t see the issue of having a beard if you can actually grow one and don’t have the patchy cheeks and moustache combo.

I swear I saw a noticeable uptick in all this beard stuff when those duck dynasty wanksters were really popular. I don't mind guys growing beards but it gets annoying listening to guys talk about how beards are the epitome of manliness and shit. Like those douches that go on and on about the awesomeness of bacon.

Lol, nailed it! If you watch Forged in Fire, the guys with the long groomed beards are always vets. The one guy had so much beard oil it glistened. I was afraid he was gonna burst into flames standing next to the forge.
I definitely watch Forged in Fire. Some of the vets in there crack me up.

Will Willis is a Ranger and PJ vet. He rocked a man bun for a while.
Here he is with man bun and beard combo teaching trauma care techniques.

When I could grow a beard properly I wanted to see what it was like, everytime since then when I've shaved I've missed it.

I started platting it since I had my twins and as babies they would pull hairs out and I like the look. Always feels tidy, like getting ready for war. I think I saw a MTV video in the 90's where a singer or guitarist in a rock band had a platted beard with beads on and as a 14yr old I thought that looked super cool. Guess I've just been self actualising all my life.

Had a full beard this last couple of years just to see what I think but just went back to gotee tonight. Like seeing my younger self!

I quite like that everyone's gone beard again.

I just rock the stubble. I can't go full on beard because the itchiness becomes a total ordeal after a couple of weeks

That's the hairs curling around and hitting the skin. In a week or two it stops.

Back