When do you stop lifting weights before an MMA fight?

Italianissimo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
When do you usually stop lifting weights, before a PRO MMA fight?
I am currently lifting 3x week 4 series x 2 rep (bench and squat// deadlift // bench and squat).
I heard people lifting even the day of the fight. That sounds crazy to me: sometimes I feel sore after a hard week of sparring, technique and lifting.

Last edited:
Depends on your programming and what you do in camp. I used to use the starting strength template between fights and I would cease all heavy lifting during camp which usually were 4-6 weeks. My trainer had me to some light strength training (dumbbell swings, pullups, light squats, etc) as part of my training during camp but this is more for conditioning. Mind you I did boxing where strength isn't as important as in MMA. You would have to experiment with what works for you but I would phase out heavy lifting pretty early if you have a fight set up. Technique and conditioning should come first and heavy lifting can tax your body's resources and take away from what you really need.

Thank you.
I heard that some fighters work with weights even just a few days before the fights.

Track your recovery out of camp and during camp. Compare. I typically stop 2 weeks prior. You've made all the gains you can by then realistically

Track your recovery out of camp and during camp. Compare. I typically stop 2 weeks prior. You've made all the gains you can by then realistically
Not only that but your recovery period after supercompensation takes a little while. You are probably peaking strength wise 1-2 weeks after quitting the weights as long as you grove the patterns.

@Italianissimo Ultimately it depends on the intensity and volume. I mean, if you are doing 2 rep sets the intensity is probably very high. Definitely stop a few weeks out.

Your regimen in the last 4 weeks? 3xweek?

Last 4 weeks of a training cycle for comp is probably 2x a week for me until two weeks out. Focusing more on drilling at that point.

You build most of your capacity during your in between comp phases, competition camps you retain/perfect, stay healthy, drill, recover, prepare mentally, cut if necessary.

I always like to know specifically where each of my athletes are in terms of power, speed, endurance (lungs and muscles), agility and reaction, recovery etc.
Log it. Whichever areas they perform well at they can be on the retain focus, weak points are brought up.
It can take 4 to 6 months to make decent cardiovascular changes as rbcs have a lifespan of about that range.

Strength and power can be increased quickly with the right program and recovery.

I walk to the cage doing alternate dumbbell curls

When I was weaker I stopped later and as I got stronger I stopped sooner. Now I just post on sherdog.

Back