When exactly was the turning point for Bob Sapp?

Readybodisready

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think those who aren't blinded by hate(not that he doesn't deserve it) and have been around long enough know that Sapp basicely had two careers: one where he was fighting for real and was a big threat in K-1 and MMA, and the second act when he decided he would take a dive 9/10 times to avoid taking damage.

Looking back at his record:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sapp

In K-1 in 05 when he faced Musashi, I think that was the last kickboxing fight where he fought to win. From 07 onwards against Aerts it was all dives. On the other hand he had two MMA fights in 08 where he was trying hard to win. Another note which I didn't realize is he took a break in all of 2006, what was that about and did that have anything to do with his change?

Please add your scientific theories on this mystery.
bob_sapp_display_image.gif

As soon as he found out that people gave him to-show-money anyway no matter how he performed in the ring.

As soon as he found out that people gave him to-show-money anyway no matter how he performed in the ring.

(Scientific backup: statement performed in duplo, so replicated with same outcome, therefore true. Minor revisions: not an independent replicate. Needs further statistical scrutiny.)

Cro Cop certainly scared him, but I think Sapp's beatdown and humiliation at the hands of Fujita traumatized him much worse:

Those many soccer kicks and knee stomps to the head were brutal and he got dominated and destroyed from the opening seconds. I suspect this fight was the catalyst for Sapp's dive-career.

I think the turning point was Cro Cop. it was when he found out what professional fighters could do to him and he he wanted none of it. Up to that point he was confident that his strength and size were a match but after that he realized he had no business fighting high level competition

He was still trying after the Cro Cop fight, he had a brief retirement and dispute with k1 in around 07 I think. When he came back from his hiatus the flopping started.

I think the turning point was Cro Cop. it was when he found out what professional fighters could do to him and he he wanted none of it. Up to that point he was confident that his strength and size were a match but after that he realized he had no business fighting high level competition

The one against Ray Sefo a year later was a really bad one too. Sapp was terrified and took a lot of shots, was completely humiliated.

Back