When fighting a bigger opponent , should you change the way you fight completely?

maddog0798

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
For example If I like to fight on the inside and I'm good at it should I still fight this way if I'm fighting someone bigger or Should I take a completely different approach since it could be risky?

Same question for if someone is better than you in any other certain category. Should I stick with the method That i know best or try a different approach?

Regardless of your opponent try to adapt to counter how they fight. For amateur fights in particular in my opinion fight plans are pointless unless you know how your opponent fights. Fight to your strengths and attempt to capitalize on their weaknesses. I was an outside fighter mostly but there were times when I had to mix it up and fight on the inside because my opponents didn't react well to it.
Fighting is a thinking mans sport, not everyone can be Mark Hunt and just hope to knock people out each time.

Yeah I think at the lower levels you just get in there and do your best to figure it out. That’s how you develop fight iq.

If your A game like inside doesn’t work, then you start trying other stuff like outside or whatever.

Sparring is for figuring out how to beat your training partners ass as efficient and effective as possible

For example If I like to fight on the inside and I'm good at it should I still fight this way if I'm fighting someone bigger or Should I take a completely different approach since it could be risky?

Same question for if someone is better than you in any other certain category. Should I stick with the method That i know best or try a different approach?
In my experience if you fight a reachier / bigger apanent you are out if you try to fight on the outside. You need to impose your distance and get on the inside.

I'm an outside fighter, I find low kicks and teeps to be my friends with bigger guys. Just have to be really mindful of your distance since any footwork mistakes are easier to get punished for with the size difference.

That being said I imagine you want to be well-rounded, so if some training partners force you to change your game to handle them - embrace it!

If opponent is bigger...there streght/power/ technique leve, agility, mobility and speed should be taken in account. + skills level he does have.

In smaller circles ppl does know enough about possible opponents. Large cricles; it is different world.

If he is larger and heavier but not stronger than you, is slower than you and doesn't have tech advantage?
Then brutal power game might work well and surprise him a lot.

If he is larger and stronger ....usually flowchart is to provoke him to do certain striking / grappling attacks and catch him in trap with prepared counter technique...

If this is for SD not sport...if he is heavier and larger...dirty stuff usually is used......

I don't advise to spar with not normal ppl who are larger and stronger than you, doesn't have some other predictable disatvantages.

For boxing some from most effective methods are different;
to provoke him execute straight power punch and counter this. If well done, effect might be devastating.
The same with provocations attempt to do power hooks.
Ofc then lad should have...some real advantages vs bigger guy in technique, speed etc.

For grappling well works provocations to attempt do throws, foot sweeps.

KB: for me best working stuff was provoke them to do head kicks... this ofc is individual thing here.

These bigger stronger guys too are different: some might be effective in short distance, some are effective only if they does have really a lot of space to move and distance to generate power.
Some...might be terrible opponents even if they doesn't punch or kick, just are holding you for example....

I mean I usually do. If I'm fighting someone around my weight I usually like going for take downs more because i'm confident in my strength and wrestling against guys my weight. If I'm fighting someone bigger I usually try to strike with them instead and keep distance with big head/body kicks and my Jab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back