when is one considered a good striker

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
to you guys at what level do you consider someone a good striker?

since boxing or kb have no ranking system other than am and pro i dont think just saying if u win 3 pro fights means your good but besides asking for fight records how can you rate someone as good?

outside of a fight record, the only thing would be to see the person train to get an idea of the skill level.

when your not getting hit as much as the other guy, and your hits are harder.

Problematic definition. You can still be the one getting chased around. Ring control is a point in and of itself.
getting chased around is what you want if your a defensive boxer, that way they aren't cutting the ring off. the ol' matador and the bull routine. the idea is you have to start catching them with the straight right and make them cautious of closing the distance, then you can really box them up.

getting chased around is what you want if your a defensive boxer, that way they aren't cutting the ring off. the ol' matador and the bull routine. the idea is you have to start catching them with the straight right and make them cautious of closing the distance, then you can really box them up.

It's percieved as a weakness though if the other guy has power. One of the strange things I found is that just a simple change of guard, utilizing my reach more, can make all of the difference in the world. His attacks look more telegraphed when he has to pass the reach, and it gives me precious seconds to counter strike. I was even able to get aggressive on this younger guy. I feel my reflexes are way worse with age, and I'm just 28.. My reflexes were measured as very good age 18 at a fun place our school visit, so I know for a fact they were quite good. Not anymore...

It's percieved as a weakness though if the other guy has power. One of the strange things I found is that just a simple change of guard, utilizing my reach more, can make all of the difference in the world. His attacks look more telegraphed when he has to pass the reach, and it gives me precious seconds to counter strike. I was even able to get aggressive on this younger guy. I feel my reflexes are way worse with age, and I'm just 28.. My reflexes were measured as very good age 18 at a fun place our school visit, so I know for a fact they were quite good. Not anymore...
you can still be the defensive boxer and the harder puncher, you just have to plant your weight on the back foot and drive through as they step at you. punch then move don't try to do both at the same time or you lose the weight off your punch going backwards. it is actually a lot easier to hit someone hard that is coming at you as they are establishing range and stepping into the punch.

boxing is the art of action and reaction, the more distance you have the longer you have to react to anything, it becomes nearly impossible to block combos in close if your opponent is any good.

you can still be the defensive boxer and the harder puncher, you just have to plant your weight on the back foot and drive through as they step at you. punch then move don't try to do both at the same time or you lose the weight off your punch going backwards. it is actually a lot easier to hit someone hard that is coming at you as they are establishing range and stepping into the punch.

Yes of course. But if he goes after me constantly it will still be percieved as if he is dominating me. You can blast hard shots without the guy flinching. It's so much adrenalin involved. But yeah, as a general principles, if you get hit less than your opponent, you are better.

boxing is the art of action and reaction, the more distance you have the longer you have to react to anything, it becomes nearly impossible to block combos in close if your opponent is any good.

But boxing advocates a tucked in guard, and this gives me zero time against more experienced guys. If I stretch my arms out however, I can see his attempts differently and just smack him. He smacked me back a moment later but I could charge forward after this as the agressor and hit him again without counterstriking.

But boxing advocates a tucked in guard, and this gives me zero time against more experienced guys. If I stretch my arms out however, I can see his attempts differently and just smack him. He smacked me back a moment later but I could charge forward after this as the agressor and hit him again without counterstriking.
this is why some boxer keep a lower more relax guard. lennox lewis advocated keeping the jab hard closer to the target. it's really a matter of finding whats works best for you and offers the best blend of offence and defence.

this is why some boxer keep a lower more relax guard. lennox lewis advocated keeping the jab hard closer to the target. it's really a matter of finding whats works best for you and offers the best blend of offence and defence.

This was against a swarmer who gave me a ton of difficulties. I usually like facing them, but not when they are that explosive.

Yes of course. But if he goes after me constantly it will still be percieved as if he is dominating me. You can blast hard shots without the guy flinching. It's so much adrenalin involved. But yeah, as a general principles, if you get hit less than your opponent, you are better.
hit 'em properly and they don't keep charging through your shots, unless your fighting marciano. do you hit the bag much? i recommend working the jab cross, block the right hand counter and step back to your right. if your countering and not getting hit it is hard for the judges to rob you.

I look at whether and how well they understand & use the various concepts found in striking. Do they have a good stance & footwork for what their style is, is their distance & positioning good, can they strike with decent form & balance, do they know how to make reads and setups, do they have defence & composure under fire, and so on.

I would say when you can spar against any level of competition in boxing/striking and not get completely outclassed, you are a good striker.

Back