When you get the cold or flu are your symptoms harsh or just mild?

Definitely. The whole thing is trial and error. The craziest thing is that water triggers me more than soda or tea. I have to eat at night whenever I drink water or I'll start getting some mild cramps.
yeah the water is probably passing through to your colon more, there are people who actually get more constipated when they drink and guzzle down lots water because they are pissing it all out and getting dehydrated, I think the best rule when taking in liquids is to sip not chug, I remember drinking lots of cold water when it was hot and humid and getting constipated with hard stools, then someone told me just to sip the water through out the day take a few sips every so often and you will hydrate, if you guzzle down liquids fast you just piss them out faster, like if you drink a whole thing of bottled water within 30 minutes your body wants to take a piss.

My friend said the worst part is a lot of times he cant really do much because he wants to take a dump but has to wait, like he wakes up early morning eats something and takes one dump and then after that first dump 40 minutes to an hour later the rest of the crap will come out. He thinks he got Chrons from taking a lot of Creatine and other supplements for years.

A lot of healthy people are getting UC and Chrons, Ive noticed this on those fitness forums if I had to guess it could be from chemicals in foods like artificial substances many of them take supplements and powders.

I get a cold or flu maybe once every couple of years. I think I've taken an actual sick day for being sick once in 5 years. But when it hits it hits hard af

I rarely if ever get the flu, my colds are average. Nose gets runny as hell, sore throat and raised heart rate. Don’t get body aches or anything like that, I’ll usually miss one or two gym sessions (usually to 6 times a week) max so never too thrown by them. Rarely get sick due to vegetable/fruit/yogurt consumption though (a cold every second year or so).

I get a cold or flu maybe once every couple of years. I think I've taken an actual sick day for being sick once in 5 years. But when it hits it hits hard af
Yeah right now im sweating like crazy and my legs and body are not as aching as before, my appetite came back and was able to eat something, i got tuesday off and work on wednesday so I should be good, but what usually happens whe i get better im ended up with a bad cough for a week. ill have a horrible cough the type that keeps you coughing and you need to keep drink water.

i worked in a bar for 10 years, now for the last 4 i work with students with autism. ive been explosed to every possible germ mankind has to offer, i dont get sick any more.

Usually pretty mild. Colds are more annoyances than anything else, I get a stuffy and/or runny nose and a scratchy throat and that's about it. I can function just fine, do workouts, eat like usual, I just need to sleep an extra hour or 2 each day. A flu kinda sucks but isn't the end of the world, get some nasty congestion, a good cough, maybe a mild fever, and I'm tired and sleep a lot. Sleep it off for a couple days and I'm down to the level of a cold where it's more annoyance than suckage.

I havent been proper sick for a couple of years, I usualy only get blocked sinuses wich I clear by flushing with salf water and decongestive nasal spray and sore throat thats fixed with some aspro clear and salt water. If im feeling like real shit Ill steam out the shower with tiger barm or vix on the floor of the shower and the base of my feet.

I have a cough fora couple days and that's bout it. I get my wife sick and she's sick as a dog for a week or two generally tho.

Is Sambucol good?
98057-blister_600x.jpg

I've heard zinc works for some. Tried it myself to no avail. Nothing but time heals a cold or flu for me and it's always a miserable week. Chalk it up to the injun in me.

@El Chimpo

When you get the flu, how do you take care of yourself? Like do you have to go to the hospital for I.V. fluids, or do you just stay at home and rest? Or what? How long does it usually take to pass, to where you start feeling better?

I remember the last time I had stomach flu (or maybe it was food poisoning) but not the regular flu. It only lasted 24 hours. I was vomiting and shitting like every half hour and thought I was gonna die. Literally just standing up and taking a couple steps felt like it was nearly impossible.
Sleep and rehydrate when possible

Last time i got the flu it lasted gor 3 days..i slept almost 48 hrs total..just wake up..sip gatorade or something equivalent and go back to sleep

I've heard zinc works for some. Tried it myself to no avail. Nothing but time heals a cold or flu for me and it's always a miserable week. Chalk it up to the injun in me.
Zinc only works as a preventative measure, once i get sick it does nothing,

Zinc only works as a preventative measure, once i get sick it does nothing,

How do they test a preventative? Maybe you weren't getting sick in the first place. I do use zinc lozenges at the first sign of a sore throat or sniffles but I've always wondered if I would have gotten sick without them.

How do they test a preventative? Maybe you weren't getting sick in the first place. I do use zinc lozenges at the first sign of a sore throat or sniffles but I've always wondered if I would have gotten sick without them.
Preventative measures is basically taking your vitamins year round like vitamin C and antioxidants year round build up the immune system so you dont get sick, taking a zinc when the virus is already inside is not going to rid you of it especially if its a strong cold of flu virus.

Ive taken some of those elderberry zinc lozenges a few times when I had the sore throat and they helped but it was just a weak cold, but when I was having a bit of drowsiness and a sore throat coming on and I took one every 2 hours it did nothing for me and I still wound up getting super sick and weak.

I do remember when I used to workout regularly and drink my vitamin C every single day, I used to have a orange tree in my back yard, and a kiwis and I would eat those daily and never got sick,

Here is an article I found on Zinc
Will taking zinc for colds make my colds go away faster?
Answer From Brent A. Bauer, M.D.

There's been a lot of talk about taking zinc for colds ever since a 1984 study showed that zinc supplements kept people from getting as sick. Since then, research has turned up mixed results about zinc and colds.

Recently an analysis of several studies showed that zinc lozenges or syrup reduced the length of a cold by one day, especially when taken within 24 hours of the first signs and symptoms of a cold.

Most colds are caused by a type of virus called rhinovirus, which thrives and multiplies in the nasal passages and throat (upper respiratory system). Zinc may work by preventing the rhinovirus from multiplying. It may also stop the rhinovirus from lodging in the mucous membranes of the throat and nose.

Zinc may be more effective when taken in lozenge or syrup form, which allows the substance to stay in the throat and come in contact with the rhinovirus.

But the recent analysis stopped short of recommending zinc. None of the studies analyzed had enough participants to meet a high standard of proof. Also, the studies used different zinc dosages and preparations (lozenges or syrup) for different lengths of time. As a result, it's not clear what the effective dose and treatment schedule would be.

Zinc — especially in lozenge form — also has side effects, including nausea or a bad taste in the mouth. Many people who used zinc nasal sprays suffered a permanent loss of smell. For this reason, Mayo Clinic doctors caution against using such sprays.

In addition, large amounts of zinc are toxic and can cause copper deficiency, anemia and damage to the nervous system.

For now, the safest course is to talk to your doctor before considering the use of zinc to prevent or reduce the length of colds.

i worked in a bar for 10 years, now for the last 4 i work with students with autism. ive been explosed to every possible germ mankind has to offer, i dont get sick any more.

I have news for you. You have contracted autism.

it's pretty hard to determine this because for one a large number of cases of these communicable diseases are asymptomatic or with symptoms so light that they could be confused with allergies or inhaling something noxious or whatever.

Also confounding the results is that self reported data is worthless. People's memories suck, and they might have a motivation for remembering things a certain way too. For instance, people like Joe Rogan who think that diet and supplements cure everything might dismiss every sold they had as mild or simply hand wave it away. Or there may be people who don't deal well with being sick so they overestimate how many times they've been sick or the severity.

I haven't had a cold/flu in around 10 years. Once I began sunbathing sensibly, and in the winter time using a vitamin D light a couple times a week, I seem to have stopped developing colds/flu. There was one time though where I guess I have very mild cold like symptoms over the last decade. Hard to say if that was a cold or not but if it was a cold, it was easy to handle.

This is interesting in light of how the levels of vitamin D in the body seem to correlate with the severity of coronavirus from very early on. People with low levels of vitamin D seem to suffer more. There are finally some studies being done in the medical community.

Just as the pandemic started, George Mason college released a study on vitamin D levels in people in their athletic programs and finding low levels.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200309110242.htm
Several similar studies have been done in the past at other places which also found low levels of vitamin D.

Cancer studies have been done that warned people to use sunscreen to avoid skin cancer. Since sunlight causes the skin to create vitamin D, sunscreen and less exposure to sunlight might lead to lower vitamin D levels. In the US, vitamin D has been added to milk since the 1930s in the US to reduce bone problems in children. Vitamin D is not added to ice cream or cheese. As people get older, they drink less milk so they get less of the vitamin D which may cause their bones to get brittle. As a population, we spend less time in the sun so we get less vitamin D from sun exposure.

Some medical professionals have advised taking vitamin D supplements since the pandemic started. The levels of vitamin D considered adequate in the past may not be. I have been taking Vitamin D since March.

This is interesting in light of how the levels of vitamin D in the body seem to correlate with the severity of coronavirus from very early on. People with low levels of vitamin D seem to suffer more. There are finally some studies being done in the medical community.

Just as the pandemic started, George Mason college released a study on vitamin D levels in people in their athletic programs and finding low levels.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200309110242.htm
Several similar studies have been done in the past at other places which also found low levels of vitamin D.

Cancer studies have been done that warned people to use sunscreen to avoid skin cancer. Since sunlight causes the skin to create vitamin D, sunscreen and less exposure to sunlight might lead to lower vitamin D levels. In the US, vitamin D has been added to milk since the 1930s in the US to reduce bone problems in children. Vitamin D is not added to ice cream or cheese. As people get older, they drink less milk so they get less of the vitamin D which may cause their bones to get brittle. As a population, we spend less time in the sun so we get less vitamin D from sun exposure.

Some medical professionals have advised taking vitamin D supplements since the pandemic started. The levels of vitamin D considered adequate in the past may not be. I have been taking Vitamin D since March.
hopw much D are you taking every day bro?

im taking 5000iu

Back