When you sell guns to a gun store

TeTe

🤡🌎
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
How much do you usually get? 50 percent of the new value assuming the gun is in good shape?

I'd really prefer to sell to someone privately for a bit more, but if I have no other alternatives, I guess I'll go the store route.

What is your guy's experiences?

I sold one of my rifles to a gun store once. It was a remington 700 sps tactical, I was going to get the AAC/SD instead and I didn't feel like trying to find an individual and go through all that hassle.

It took like a half hour, I bought the rifle for about 620$ the year prior and I got 490$ for it so I thought that was pretty fair.

How much do you usually get? 50 percent of the new value assuming the gun is in good shape?

I'd really prefer to sell to someone privately for a bit more, but if I have no other alternatives, I guess I'll go the store route.

I've never sold to a store but I've seen people do it and know people who have. Seemed like 35-75%

Depends on what it is, age, demand, orginal value vs used street price, etc.

Some will give you more on trade since they will be profiting on both ends.

@Roaming East

That sound about right?

Last edited:
I have a SW AR15 sporter and a Century Arms AK47

They will try to break it off in ya.

Likely reason, there's an over abundance of guns in stores since Hillary Lost. (seriously)

Because you're not communist?

<TheWire1>

I do have a Saiga 12 though.

When I bought my first AR a buddy said he figured me more as an AK guy. Been an AR fan since watching this show.

SouthernComfort.jpg

biggest determinator of what youre gonna get is local market, availability, and condition. you wont get much for a sweet hunting rifle here in Eastern VA because most of the hunting is bow or shotgun for example, whereas a good condition Browning Auto 5 will bring in a solid return. availability is a good one, some firearms arent as common anymore so stuff like worn HK-91 will bring a good price while a mint Bushmaster gets tossed on the pile at 30% value.
stuff thats not imported anymore, stuff thats not MADE anymore either as a type or as a variant will generally bring a premium, like 70+ % value. im talking gen 3 glocks and VG condition, older pre-S&W Walthers etc
cccccccccccccccccccccc

It's tough to put a percentage on it, but I'll say that every time I've sold a gun to a store I've felt ripped off big time.

It's tough to put a percentage on it, but I'll say that every time I've sold a gun to a store I've felt ripped off big time.
the market has swapped. There was a huge demand, moderate supply scenario that gun stores favored from heavily the last decade or so. Now, the supply is glutting but demand is super low. gun shows, or online selling is doing very well for both sides of the sale right now.

I have a SW AR15 sporter and a Century Arms AK47
Imported or built by Century? World of difference. Most gun stores (unfortunately) have a rack full of RAS47s.
I've been trying to talk myself into buying an AK for years. Not sure why I haven't done it.
Do it. Fair warning... its an easy bug to catch. You will likely end up with a few. Just stay away from I.O. and Century (built) rifles. Century does import the WASR, an absolute tank of an AK that your grandchildrens grandchildren can run hard. It also happens to be around the same price as the rifles I.O. and Century build ($530-650), so it won't break the bank if your not fond of it. My bet is before long your collection will include a Sar-1, Mak-90, OPAP, Arsenal, and 2 Saigas you converted yourself... heh.
Because you're not communist?
Rifle is mighty. Wood and steel baby!

Do it. Fair warning... its an easy bug to catch. You will likely end up with a few. Just stay away from I.O. and Century (built) rifles. Century does import the WASR, an absolute tank of an AK that your grandchildrens grandchildren can run hard. It also happens to be around the same price as the rifles I.O. and Century build ($530-650), so it won't break the bank if your not fond of it. My bet is before long your collection will include a Sar-1, Mak-90, OPAP, Arsenal, and 2 Saigas you converted yourself... heh.

Thanks for the advice. I'm the only gun collector with no real interest in Glocks are AK's. Must be some weird mental deficiency or character flaw. For 7.62x39 I own a VZ-58 and recently bought an AR upper that I've yet to try out.

I'd love an AK in trade for something I already want to get rid of though. :cool:

Imported or built by Century? World of difference. Most gun stores (unfortunately) have a rack full of RAS47s.

Imported... Romanian

1968654_01_century_international_arms_rom_640.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I'm the only gun collector with no real interest in Glocks are AK's. Must be some weird mental deficiency or character flaw. For 7.62x39 I own a VZ-58 and recently bought an AR upper that I've yet to try out.

I'd love an AK in trade for something I already want to get rid of though. :cool:
I'm not particularly fond of Glocks myself, nor ARs/M4 truth be told. I respect them, I appreciate them. I just don't get excited about them like I do Kalashnikov types, or Milsurps. I'm more likely to take out the Tokarev and SKS than the polymer stuff, despite knowing its worth and utility. It's all about what makes you happy, everyone else be damned.

Rifle is fine comrade! Give that Romanian bitch a pretty red dress, take her out and use her roughly.
LOL, I have. I've put thousands of rounds through that thing over the past 12 years and it's never jammed once.

Back