When you sell guns to a gun store

Being completely honest I'd love to get an old school wood furniture AK and a modern furniture Saiga.
Yes! I honestly prefer the rear-only converted Saigas. There's a guy in Minnesota (Lucky Shot Wood Stocks) that makes beautiful stocks for rear converted Saigas, for literally half the price of Ironwood designs. I don't want them to look like the other AKs. Installing a bullet guide, opening the spot for the FCG, put pistol grip on, dropping in a new trigger is enough for me. After buying her a fancy new dress that is!

LOL, I have. I've put thousands of rounds through that thing over the past 12 years and it's never jammed once.
I believe it! The round counts reported from BFLV are crazy. They've had WASRs go over 80,000 (not gently, these are rentals) rounds before any catastrophic failure. Even then, it's usually a cracked trunion. They just pull a new one from a parts kit, rebarrel and rerivet and put them back in the line up. Also interesting to note... they have MP5s with 500,000 rounds without catastrophic failure. They go through a lot of extractor springs and the receivers crack at the meeting between trunion and internal rail. But they are easy to keep running as well.

Yeah I hate selling used guns to a LFS. I'd rather put it on consignment.

Selling pistols on gunbroker sucks because it's like $100 to ship overnight.

I've been trying to talk myself into buying an AK for years. Not sure why I haven't done it.

s6dKj51.jpg

AK GOOOOOD....

jdGOj_s-200x150.gif

I've sold at least 5 guns on armslist in the pst five years. I've gotten near full retail price for the guns new. I've had no issues with anyone trying to rob me or be a jerk in anyway. I've actually found it a much easier experience than selling crap on Craigslist. I sold an old microwave I had in the basement on Craigslist a few weeks ago, buyer agreed to the price, then tried to haggle me down once we met in person. Never had anything like that on Armslist.

I've sold at least 5 guns on armslist in the pst five years. I've gotten near full retail price for the guns new. I've had no issues with anyone trying to rob me or be a jerk in anyway. I've actually found it a much easier experience than selling crap on Craigslist. I sold an old microwave I had in the basement on Craigslist a few weeks ago, buyer agreed to the price, then tried to haggle me down once we met in person. Never had anything like that on Armslist.
Folks know you're more likely to be well armed if you're wheeling and dealing on Armslist. An armed society is a polite society.

I've only bought one gun from Armslist and it was easy as pie.

I've only bought one gun from Armslist and it was easy as pie.
Yeah in addition to selling 5, ive purchased at least 4 and made 2 trades. All were nothing but polite and straightforward transactions. I don't see myself ever buying or selling a gun outside of armslist.

Yeah in addition to selling 5, ive purchased at least 4 and made 2 trades. All were nothing but polite and straightforward transactions. I don't see myself ever buying or selling a gun outside of armslist.

Interesting... Never considered selling there before. I will look into it. Got some stuff to unload that I haven't shot in a while.

Edit: Never bought guns there because they are always near new prices.

Last edited:
Interesting... Never considered selling there before. I will look into it. Got some stuff to unload that I haven't shot in a while.

Edit: Never bought guns there because they are always near new prices.
They are not always near anyrhing. It's a total mixed bag. You're gonna find guys that are selling at new prices for used guns, you're gonna find home FFLs selling new guns at below store prices. What I found is you can usually buy guns that are basically brand new, but the buyer purchased new on impulse, and regrets purchasing. So now his wife is mad and making him sell the gun, or he needs the money, or whatever. I bought a brand new Glock 27 Gen 4 for $500 cash OTD (no taxes, no fees); and a brand new CZ P10c in FDE for $510 OTD.

They are not always near anyrhing. It's a total mixed bag. You're gonna find guys that are selling at new prices for used guns, you're gonna find home FFLs selling new guns at below store prices. What I found is you can usually buy guns that are basically brand new, but the buyer purchased new on impulse, and regrets purchasing. So now his wife is mad and making him sell the gun, or he needs the money, or whatever. I bought a brand new Glock 27 Gen 4 for $500 cash OTD (no taxes, no fees); and a brand new CZ P10c in FDE for $510 OTD.
True. Just have to be diligent and patient in the search. You have guys on there selling their firearms for far more than a smart buyer could find it for BNIB. Thats because they made a horrible purchase and didn't know it could be found online for 3/4 what they paid at their local raping hole. Then they want to tack on for all the accessories they also grossly overpaid for. But every now and again you find a steal. Problem is the old retirees that browse arms list all day snatching up the good deals. I found a Vepr 3 days after they were banned from import. Every place that had them in stock had raised the price by a couple hundred dollars. This guy was selling for preban prices! $750 with a nice case and a few magazines. It was gone within an hour of being posted.:mad:

True. Just have to be diligent and patient in the search. You have guys on there selling their firearms for far more than a smart buyer could find it for BNIB. Thats because they made a horrible purchase and didn't know it could be found online for 3/4 what they paid at their local raping hole. Then they want to tack on for all the accessories they also grossly overpaid for. But every now and again you find a steal. Problem is the old retirees that browse arms list all day snatching up the good deals. I found a Vepr 3 days after they were banned from import. Every place that had them in stock had raised the price by a couple hundred dollars. This guy was selling for preban prices! $750 with a nice case and a few magazines. It was gone within an hour of being posted.:mad:
Yep. If I'm looking for something specific, I can usually find it within a couple weeks by just checking it daily. I haven't had really any issues getting a deal. I enjoy gun shopping though, and don't mind waiting a few weeks to find it.

Yep. If I'm looking for something specific, I can usually find it within a couple weeks by just checking it daily. I haven't had really any issues getting a deal. I enjoy gun shopping though, and don't mind waiting a few weeks to find it.
Estate sales are another occasional treasure trove. You never know what you will dig up on armslist though. I once traded a rare (ish) scope mount for a 3 spam cans of 7.6254r. I wasn't even looking to make the deal. I had actually contacted the guy for an Iver Johnson M1 carbine. One conversation just led to another. I've also come across multiple listing from the same person who clearly inherited the guns, you can often talk them into a lot price. Armslist gets a bad rep sometimes, but my collection would be paltry without it.

I put mine on consignment at the local gun shop. They take a small percentage of the sale, but it worth it for me not having to deal with it.

How much do you usually get? 50 percent of the new value assuming the gun is in good shape?

I'd really prefer to sell to someone privately for a bit more, but if I have no other alternatives, I guess I'll go the store route.

What is your guy's experiences?

If they are pre ban, you might make some coin in a ban state like CT.

I put mine on consignment at the local gun shop. They take a small percentage of the sale, but it worth it for me not having to deal with it.
I'll have to check the local stores and see if that's an option, I hope so, because that's a good idea.

I'll have to check the local stores and see if that's an option, I hope so, because that's a good idea.
The store I use takes 10% of the sale price. I find that reasonable. I'm not selling guns that are worth thousands of dollars so a small hit doesn't bother me. It's in their best interest to sell the gun at the highest price so they get the most money, but to also be fair to the buyer so that they become a repeat customer.

Back