Where did this narrative of Dj not being a bigger star due to ufcs failure to properly promote begin

I believe you're wrong. It's not that people aren't willing to pay, it's that there are easy to find free alternatives if you know what you're doing. And, in MM case especially, younger fans (who watch twitch and go on reddit and shit) who are newer to the sport and don't know of a time where FlW didn't exist are knowledgeable and acclimated enough to have access to that free option.

MM fanbase just doesn't translate to the PPV model.

Why does every single stream on the planet suddenly stop working for Conor's fights?

And besides, that doesn't really matter. If his fights don't generate money, his value goes down. The cause doesn't really matter. We aren't talking about popularity. We are talking about economic productivity.

People really need to get out of the idea of a just-universe. Mighty Mouse is arguably the best P4P fighter in the game today, and arguably a top 5-6ish fighter in MMA history. That has *no* bearing on these topics.

Even though once again, we are talking about *PROJECTED* value, and not real value at a point in time, let's bet on it.

I'll let you pick the measurement period. I'll let you pick the benchmarks (assuming they are indeed reflective of your projection). I'll give you odds.

Deal? Or are you a coward?

I'm a 'coward' because I don't want to put the fate of my account in the hands of someone else entirely? Okay. For all I know, Mighty Mouse could retire tomorrow and never fight again. I don't need to take your account, anyways. I'll just be satisfied knowing that Mighty Mouse is getting the love he deserves.

"What *specifically* is going to change the trend of Mighty Mouse's buys/viewership/etc? Be specific."

No vague generalities please.

Hitting what some are calling the greatest submission in UFC history on the same night he broke the title defence record. His value went up over night.

More are going to tune in not just to see if he'll win, but in what amazing way he'll do it. DJ had people's curiosity but now he has their attention.

Last edited:
I'm a 'coward' because I don't want to put the fate of my account in the hands of someone else entirely? Okay. For all I know, Mighty Mouse could retire tomorrow and never fight again. I don't need to take your account, anyways. I'll just be satisfied knowing that Mighty Mouse is getting the love he deserves.

Just stop. You are acting pathetically.

Being a coward isn't a permanent feature. It just something to be mindful of going forward so you can address it and (hopefully) fix it.

He'll get there. He got a ton of mainstream coverage for his suplex-armbar. Also, all of the the hype about breaking Anderson's record is going to help a lot, too.
I hope so. At first I wasn’t a fan, but he’s so good it’s hard to deny. I’ll still make jokes, but it is all in good fun. Dude is great.

Hitting what some are calling the greatest submission in UFC history on the same night he broke the title defence record. His value went up over night.

DJ had people's curiosity but now he has their attention. More are going to tune in not just to see if he'll win, but in what amazing way he'll do it.

Let's track PPVs over his next three leading events and see what happens. My guess is that he will see a marginal upward shift (somewhat more so if he fights an elite 135er), and then slightly regress to his mean.

For the record, I hope I'm dead wrong. If I could wave a magic wand and swap Conor and MM's economic fortunes, I would definitely do it.

What specifically has the UFC not done to promote him that they could be doing?

Be specific.

What they have done or not done is completely irrelevant. What matters is whether what they have done is working. It isn't.

I hope so. At first I wasn’t a fan, but he’s so good it’s hard to deny. I’ll still make jokes, but it is all in good fun. Dude is great.

Damn, hearing that just brought a tear to my eye.

What they have done or not done is completely irrelevant. What matters is whether what they have done is working. It isn't.

It is relevant in the sense of intelligently allocating resources.

If I've tried everything in the book to move someone's popularity and it has (essentially) not budged, those resources could be better spent in other areas where there is more potential for growth.

Edit: The main point being is that the situation could very easily be a situation where no one is really *at fault*...and is simply a matter of people not being interested in the product. I think that conclusion is more reasonable than the idea that the UFC is at fault for lack of promotion or that Mighty Mouse is "at fault" for being small, or even that MMA fans are *dumb* for not watching him in droves.

The UFC promoted the fuck out of MM the last Fox card & it bombed.
Commercials were all over Fox calling him the P4P greatest fighter.
They tried

A champ that I think they fucked up with is Stipe

Let's track PPVs over his next three leading events and see what happens. My guess is that he will see a marginal upward shift (somewhat more so if he fights an elite 135er), and then slightly regress to his mean.

For the record, I hope I'm dead wrong. If I could wave a magic wand and swap Conor and MM's economic fortunes, I would definitely do it.
Sure about the buyrate, but for now I'll just say crowds chant his name, he's finally getting media attention from ESPN (FOTY), he' s getting invited to gaming conventions, now has 125,000 people who follow him on twitch, he's being put in commercials, he's become the 3rd most discussed fighter on sherdog, and he has now trickled out into the casual world with that armbar. Lot of things (big or small) adding up.

There's one poster back who said they need to give up trying to make DJ a thing. And to that I'd say why? Things finally came together for DJ at 216 and if there was ever a time you could start promoting and profiting off him it's now. Plus things are just going to get crazier from here. He's a excellent long term investment.

It's more to do with the lack of popularity in the division.

As mentioned, 135 and 145 pounds had following. But the thing is, those didn't happen overnight. Faber and Torres were the ones who initially brought any sort of significance to those divisions.

Those guys helped create the stars around them too, usually due to the guys who beat them. MTB, Bowles, Cruz, and Aldo all came in the wake those guys initially created.

125 never had the steady development 135 and 145 had. The UFC just launched it. Hence, MM doesn't exactly have a lot of names to aid him in building his brand.

I don't think the UFC lacked push of MM. I think they didn't push 125 enough beyond the initial tournament.

I don't hate MM. I'd say I like him more than your average Sherdogger.

Ever heard of sarcasm?

Ahh yes the old "Can you see my sarcasm that isn't plainly obvious through my short sentence, guy who has never seen a post from me before"?

I wish you kids understood how sarcasm works, especially when text has no tone.

Brock Lesnar was the most popular name on the card and most of the marketing (after Jones was forced out) centered around him. Good try, though.

Just saying co-main can be the main draw.

Sure about the buyrate, but for now I'll just say crowds chant his name, he's finally getting media attention from ESPN (FOTY), he' s getting invited to gaming conventions, now has 125,000 people who follow him on twitch, being put in commercials, he's become the 3rd most discussed fighter on sherdog, and has trickled out into the casual world with that armbar.

There's one poster back who said they need to give up trying to make DJ a thing. And to that I'd say why? Things finally came together for DJ at 216 and if there was ever a time you could start promoting and profiting off him it's now. That's how I look at it anyway. Things are just going to get crazier from here.

The question is whether those things translate into economic productivity that can be leveraged in future negotiations, and to what degree. A chant doesn't pay bills. But if the chants inspire people to part with their money for a fight, merchandise, twitter followers (which helps grows the company through brand recognition), etc...that's different.

I tend to think it's much more likely that he is capped by his physical status and personality than it is he shoots off and becomes a leading star (economically). But like I said earlier, I actually hope I'm wrong. I admire and appreciate him very much.

Ahh yes the old "Can you see my sarcasm that isn't plainly obvious through my short sentence, guy who has never seen a post from me before"?

I wish you kids understood how sarcasm works, especially when text has no tone.

<31>

Edit. the claim that I made is so obviously false it should be understood as sarcasm but I guess on Sherdog you got to always assume someone is trolling or just dumb as hell.

Back