Where do you find your music?

RJ43

The Baddy
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm in a serious music drought right now. Currently rely on Spotify, Iheartradio, and Pandora to find music. I scour you tube sometimes as well but I'm still running low.

Where is all the good music?

Basically this. I do the Spotify stations and run across bands that are "new to me" that catch my ear. Sometimes I'll hear a song in a show/movie/video game and look into the group further. For example I found "The Heavy" after digging their song Short Change Hero from Borderlands 2 opening credits.

If it hadn't come from growing up, or from friends and family whose opinion I value, a lot has come either from long Wikipedia binges, or Allmusic binges back in the day.

I'd start with something I knew and just see where all the links took me. If something sounded interesting, I'd look it up on YouTube or MySpace.

Tend to go down the rabbit hole clicking youtube links. Start off with music I like and see what is in the sidebar. You have to wallow through a lot of crap but I have found some real gems that I never would have found any other way. Another way is going to the record label of music I like and checking out their other artists. A lot of labels have youtube accounts so that makes it easy.

i ask my brother in law,he's kind of a musical encyclopaedia.

Spotify - "similar artists" (doesn't have to be Spotify, but any service of the kind). And by reading reviews of music in the genres I prefer. Looking at "best of the year" - lists at the end of the year. Reading/writing at music related message boards.

I guess that's basically it.

Sometimes on here, sometimes through YouTube or Spotify suggestions, sometimes through looking at influences or other bands of my favorite bands, sometimes through websites dedicated to music genres that I like... it varies.

Looking through the What Are You Listening To? thread is a great place on here.

My go-to has always been allmusic.com. Type a band you like and look at the "Influenced By" and "Similar Artists" tabs. Allmusic usually has a "Album Pick" which they consider the artist's best album so from there, I just load that up on YouTube and check them out.

They are really spot on and have led me to a lot of good new bands.

My go-to has always been allmusic.com. Type a band you like and look at the "Influenced By" and "Similar Artists" tabs. Allmusic usually has a "Album Pick" which they consider the artist's best album so from there, I just load that up on YouTube and check them out.

They are really spot on and have led me to a lot of good new bands.
Allmusic is pretty good also in regards to their review and album ratings too. Another good site is sputnikmusic.com. It is a user based site that it biggest feature is its rating system. Users can rate band albums on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being classic. As well users can write reviews of each album and others can vote on said reviews to be the featured review for each album. The rating system is pretty damn good and I've noticed a lot of the music I listen to the ratings for the albums are in par with what I would rate plus I've found some bands I'd otherwise not known about on that site.

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/user/satanicaleve <--- This is my profile

As per my main ways of listening it is either with my ever growing record collection, Spotify and Winamp with the Ozotope Ozone plugin and my digital music collection (Majority of it is in lossless FLAC)

I turn my smart tv onto youtube, search for something I like, and eat. I usually doze off and wake up to something I have never heard.

That's how I found these guys, band maid, kontrust.....etc.

Also, somewhat related, I use Recordbird, which allows you to create a list of the bands you like and then get notified when they release new stuff. You get kinda the same thing if you're subscribing to some of the streaming music services (such as Spotify, Apple Music etc), but it's a good thing to keep it all in one place if you're constantly changing your source of streaming music.

I've got like 250 bands I follow atm, and it's fucking GREAT to be able to keep up with their releases.

I usually just look at Metacritic and if some band gets a high score I'll look them up on YT

Growing up I found most of my new music from skateboarding VHS's and watching "The Wedge" on Much Music. Then In my later teens I found a Mars Volta forum that had a sub-section devoted to other music and discovered a lot of interesting shit there as well as discovering music blogs and last FM for the first time.

Nowadays I just use a Google Play recommended playlists and recommended videos on Youtube.

Is last.fm still a thing? I haven't used it in years. Seemed like a good place to find bands/acts related to what you are currently listening too.

Currently just scour Spotify YouTube SoundCloud and that's it.

I put on an audio music channel when i work out. It plays new alternative music. If i like a song i'll look it up on youtube and from there i'll try out suggested videos that are like it. I've had some good luck finding good stuff that way.

There is a great series on Amoeba records youtube channel called "what's in my bag". Artists/bands/celebs go through the store and buy records/etc they like while the albums are played to highlight them. It's edited really well and they person explains why they chose each item. I've found a few groups that way.

Don't let the person(s) choosing the records prevent you from watching a particular episode, you may be surprised by what they choose...

Back