Where to Start with Deadlifting

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by gocubs1815, Jan 6, 2018.

1. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

Boy has it been a long time since I posted anywhere.

I recently started weight lifting a bit more thanks to Robertfrank615, I've mainly just been going to the gym and doing 30min cardio and 3 weight training exercises without really upping the weights much. I gained a TON of weight after quitting BJJ.

So I'm wanting to work deadlifting into the routine, I've already done squats and bench and have seen gains there.

My question is, for a beginner, what should you do with deadlifting? Not just what weight, but how many reps? how many sets? how many times a week? etc.

As far as goals go, I'm not trying to be a body builder, but would just like to build strength.

2. pokerandbeer

pokerandbeer Green Belt

start off with 1 set of 5 2-3x a week and take big jumps....eventually you are going to have to tally that down to 1x a week...do it until it stops working

gocubs1815 likes this.
  3. corpse

corpse Random Belt

4. 4daLuLZ

4daLuLZ Purple Belt

From the ground up.

<Gordonhat>

wufabufa and Liquid Smoke like this.
  5. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

I see what you did there...

4daLuLZ and Liquid Smoke like this.
  6. UFC Truck

UFC Truck Brown Belt Platinum Member

Have you done any hinge movements before? Honestly, if not I would really focus on thise and lifting light and ensuring your form is correct and don’t hunch or doggyback.

I did one doggylift yesterday on a working set and am still feeling it today.