Which boxers you would favor over peak Mike McCallum more often than not?

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
In series of 10 fights, who from MW and LHW do you favor over peak McCallum more than in 5 fights of 10?
Peak Roy Jones? Toney? Ward? Foster? Maybe peak Hopkins ,Spinks ,Hagler, Monzon, GGG , Canelo, Leonard? Others?

As many of you know, Mike is at the Mayweather Boxing Club most days. It is commonly discussed how many of the biggest names, like SRL, wanted no part of Mike in his day. The risk wasnt worth the reward as he was considered too dangerous with not quite enough name value.

on the other hand, I love the story Mike tells about his fight with Julian Jackson. He said he worked to KO him so fast because Julian hit so hard, he didnt want to be with him in the ring too long. He also said that he was hit so hard a couple times that it made his entire back leg shake.

i will probably do some interviews with him over the next couple of weeks about some of this stuff

Calzaghe?

Not sure why ray Leonard is a maybe, same as hagler.

There have been a lot of tough and skilful guys kicking around between 160-175. Canelo and GGG will be interesting to look back at when they hang them up. Someone will also come in throwing names out of people who fought at these weights through necessity, not because they were particularly suited to it.

Roy Jones is a lock to win the series, a bunch of others would be competitive, but McCallum is a really, really tough out for anyone.

When you name so many options it sort of sabotages the thread.

When you name so many options it sort of sabotages the thread.
Well he missed out Clinton woods. Hasn’t got sugar ray in there. Hasn’t got all of the old dudes that get someone’s panties in a mess if you dare say they could beat a modern fighter, has ignored a lot of lineal champions and undefeated fighters but apart from that it’s a solid list of opponents.

I’m not even going to mention Martínez for that reason, and for the record I think Sergio would lose. But guysblike Robinson, benevuti and Griffith not being mentioned seems harsh.

At 175 the list misses two guys, could be more I don’t remember exactly who held a lineal title for a long time, and I think the current champ. That’s dariusz, Erdei and Stevenson.

Those of you older than me can probably pick through Hill, Muhammad and qawi better than I can. I guess hearns lands in here as well, are we ignoring him?

I think I comfortably favor Roy Jones, Foster, Hagler, Spinks and Leonard. Others - at least 50/50 matchups.

Battle of the body snatchers.
Ward's good at it, but he hasn't been in there with the body snatcher. McCallum is next level. That's the one place he'd have a very distinct advantage. I think Ward would have to stay outside as much as possible if he wanted a chance to win.

It is commonly discussed how many of the biggest names, like SRL, wanted no part of Mike in his day. The risk wasnt worth the reward as he was considered too dangerous with not quite enough name value.

That's a myth that's just grown in the telling.....along with Aaron Pryor's supposed ducking.

Check the timelines on boxrec. The timelines / weight classes never really aligned.
The only time it kinda aligns is when SRL was in his farewell phase fighting the Donny Lalondes and other faded champs who HAD fought him before in their primes.

There's a Emmanuel Steward interview out there where he explains Mike's problem. He n Mike where very close initially. More than him n Tommy even.

And it makes sense. Hagler was more avoided than most anybody else, in the modern era, and even he managed to fight most of the big names. And he was straight demolishing his opponents.

McCallum has only to blame as he screwed himself with bad business decisions.

Last edited:
mike was pissed at steward, according to what i heard, because steward screwed him by getting tommy into a duran fight and not him. steward called him "unmanageable" but I don't know everything about what went on, from the outside it just look like steward shafted mccallum in order to build up his star. If mccallum screwed himself it was only by being who he was, softspoken and quiet, nothing colorful about him inside or outside the ring but he was a great fighter who should have gotten the breaks. I think he'd beat duran, he'd probably beat tommy, I think Leonard and hagler are tougher to call.

mike was pissed at steward, according to what i heard, because steward screwed him by getting tommy into a duran fight and not him. steward called him "unmanageable" but I don't know everything about what went on, from the outside it just look like steward shafted mccallum in order to build up his star. If mccallum screwed himself it was only by being who he was, softspoken and quiet, nothing colorful about him inside or outside the ring but he was a great fighter who should have gotten the breaks. I think he'd beat duran, he'd probably beat tommy, I think Leonard and hagler are tougher to call.
If he can’t hurt hagler which even prime Floyd couldn’t, he would have to go through hell for the entire fight to work a win.

I think he’d beat Duran and Hearns at 154 and at 160. I’d pick Ray at 154 and 50/50 at 160. I’d take prime Hagler in a close fight at 160.

Back