Which boxers you would favor over peak Vitaly Klitchko more often than not?

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
In series of 10 fights, who do you favor over peak Vitaly more than in 5 fights of 10?
Peak Ali? Tyson? Louis? Foreman? Maybe peak Liston,Holmes,Evander, Bowe, Lewis, Fury? Others?

Yes, 190 pounds Joe Louis would beat him 6x via black & white footage witchcraft.

Stupid question tbh, who can tell? It would make more sense to talk about who could beat him if they fought each other once, prime for prime.

Obviously Lennox could
... I think Riddick Bowe could if he showed up motivated and hungry
... Ali's mobility would be a real issue just looking at round one of Vitali vs. Herbie Hide
... same goes for Larry Holmes, who had fantastic feet when you look at his fight vs. Leon Spinks
... Tyson/Foreman would be fights for the ages, it would be better than Foreman vs. Lyle due to the aura, presense and determination that Vitali brings
... Evan Fields is hard to pick against, but not unbeatable himself either
... Liston is the one I'd feel comfortable to pick against, I think Vitali smacks him around.
... Frazier is missing, because despite his size disadvantage he was a savage in his prime and a tough fight style wise

However, Fury has no business being lined up in that list.

I'd say Ali, Lewis, Holmes, Mature Wlad beat him more often than not. Foreman and Tyson are tossups.

Last edited:
Vitali's two losses come because of injuries: the separated shoulder which he wanted to fight through, and the eye injury, which he also wanted to fight through. It's hard to say what would beat him, though I am sure that he is beatable. He was a giant. Strong. Good enough punching, even though he takes mad heat for his technique he stopped 88% of his opponents (I think he is tied or only slightly surpassed by Rocky). He had a chin made of Soviet cast iron, and a willpower to match. Vitali was far from perfect, and his best fight was the Lewis loss, so he's a tough man to read.

Still, I think the following prime fighters have a good case to beat him:
- Holmes
- Ali
- Lewis - but he had a shaky chin, and could get lazy in spots
- maybe Big George - not sure if I like the 70's version or the 90's version in this one

Vitaly with Emanuel Stuart inhis corner would always be a real challenge for all mentioned above. Even if I am inclined towards Ali and Lewis in such events, I would never discount Klitchko beating them either. Not in vain, did Stuart himself recognized Vitali was a much better boxer than Lewis (not necessarily a better and/or tougher FIGHTER).
I believe Lewis would have beaten Bowe in professional boxing the same as he did as amateur. And Bowe's upper cuts and left hooks would be much harder to land on a 6'7" opponent with exceptional,mobility for a HW. I think that Frazier would have had a lot of problems against someone as agil as, but even taller than, Ali. Would Larry's jab be so effective? I'm not so sure... Foreman? His punching power and lesson learned from Ali could have been a good equalizer, but I wouldn't negate Vitali's probability of outboxing Foreman.

I seem to remember Chris Byrd getting into his head and making him quit even though he was winning and his title was on the line.

It’s fine being up on the cards if your eye isn’t about to fall out due to punches.

If he isn’t allowed to foul with his lead hand like he did his entire career there’s a bigger list of threats.

Vitali fought so many weak fighters during his championship run (not his fault but there are some really pointless names on his record) that he isn’t easy to categorise.

Ali, Frazier, foreman, Holmes, Lewis, Tyson, wlad, Bowe, Holyfield couldnall easily beat him on a given night. More than 50% of the time is hard to say. You’ve also got a bunch of fringe heavyweights who could win depending on the circumstances but would lose more often than not.

Prime:
Lewis
Ali
Tyson
Wlad
Holmes
Bowe

Vitaly was up on the scorecards in their actual fight.

Lewis was past it and had 1 foot in retirement. He may have been up on the scorecards but he needed 60 stitches in his mouth and face. Theres no way it was going another 2 rounds, let alone to the final bell.
Based on that I’d definately take a prime lewis 8/9 times our of 10.

Back