Which fighter ever could win slugfest with Hagler?

Julian Jackson might be able to sneak a bomb in before Hagler destroyed him if they were to go toe-to-toe.

The question of which would win between the unstoppable force or the inmovable object does remain.

Who ever at his weight could really outgrind and outfight Marvin? Not outbox him like SRL, but win slugfest? I only could think about Toney and maybe Hopkins?

G-man, as long as his brain doesn't explode. He threw devastating body shots, head hunting doesn't work against Hagler.

^

Took Julian Jackson's artillery, kept coming for the stoppage.

Well Canelo‘s is not known for Black & white witchcraft, but he‘s a world class boxer with upper body movement, power, variety of punches, tough, fast.

Hagler boxed in the 70's and 80's. He's not exactly from the same time period as Jack Johnson. People aren't rating him highly just because he fought a while ago and there are a lot of MW's that came before him that he's more highly regarded than.

I love fight sports nostalgia. Its always no current fighter could touch previous fighter. Then current fighter retires and becomes a mythical unbeatable figher too.

Probably should have gone to Hagler, but for anyone who thinks Hagler never had to back up in a fight..;

I love fight sports nostalgia. Its always no current fighter could touch previous fighter. Then current fighter retires and becomes a mythical unbeatable figher too.
We were talking about PRIME previous fighter, obviously.

We were talking about PRIME previous fighter, obviously.
I got ya. I just love fantasy fight discussions with guys from the past.

Not specific to this conversation, its just a common trend. Great fighters of yesterday are always considered better than current great fighters.

I got ya. I just love fantasy fight discussions with guys from the past.

Not specific to this conversation, its just a common trend. Great fighters of yesterday are always considered better than current great fighters.

Or they get woefully written off if they weren't superstars at their time, but still immeasurably skilled and dangerous. By contrast, hype trains today get elevated up to the gods before their careers can be properly appraised. Sucks all around.

Duran boxed him at close range for 15 rounds.

Some fans make it seem like Hagler was impossible to fight inside, just because he's from an older era.
And Duran was well past his prime and in not his natural weight class...

Harry Greb via enormous amounts of cheating. But no for real Golovkin can give anyone a fight and as much as i love Hagler he wasn't unbeatable just very very very good.

^

Took Julian Jackson's artillery, kept coming for the stoppage.
Then went life and death with Nigel Benn. I got to think that the bombs that Jackson landed on him contributed to his brain problems.

no body beats hagler in a brawl at mw ever

Harry Greb via enormous amounts of cheating. But no for real Golovkin can give anyone a fight and as much as i love Hagler he wasn't unbeatable just very very very good.

If they were fighting according to the traditions of 1920's then Greb kills him, even with the half-blindess he incurred from Kid Norfolk. Hagler's come forward style plays right into Greb's strengths.

If they were fighting according to the traditions of 1920's then Greb kills him, even with the half-blindess he incurred from Kid Norfolk. Hagler's come forward style plays right into Greb's strengths.
I agree although almost certainly be DQ'd in later eras

no body beats hagler in a brawl at mw ever
Tend to agree with this.

Though Id like to see Golovkin. His terminator mode is pretty awesome.

I don't think he'd win, but the G-Man would be interesting.

Rodrigo Valdez is a level below Hagler but he could punch too.

Back