Which gaming console should I get?

No. You can build a PS4 or XBOX capable rig for the same with off the shelf parts. I saw a guy do it on you tube. PS4 and XBOX aren't losing money on each unit.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171158-can-you-build-a-gaming-pc-better-than-the-ps4-for-400

I think a new thread should be made about this. From a cost point of view, almost no entertainment cheaper than last generation games. As long as you don't get into stuff that is old enough to be valuable for nostalgic reasons (near all has been emulated), old gaming is incredibly cheap.

Graphics are the worst definers of a good game in my humble opinion. Everytime, I have upgraded to a newer rig, I have been blown away by the graphics for about a month and then I quit giving a shit. I care more about frame rate than anything. Even at that, I have a lot of games that are 20 years old that I have near 1000 hours on. Railroad Tycoon 2 is my go to sandbox world game for awhile. There is enough meat on it that I have to work hard to get gold level. Even at that. my 5 year old rig with graphics card that is worth like $10-20 dollars now still maxes out Rainbow Six Siege and Metro Redux.

The biggest difference I find in newer games in comparison to older games is the greater dependence on multiplayer and the expense of single player. There are fewer games that are geared towards the single player experience as before. There are exceptions. The Fallout series and others like it are tremendous in this regard. The part that is disappointing is that the funding is there to make incredible worlds but there isn't as much emphasis on in that regard. All this funding has allowed for games to be opened up with more paths that were just not do able in older games. That said, with an older generation you could literally be playing a new game nearly every few days if you so desire and good games, not junk.
Exactly, there are many good old games available for cheap (gta halo gears etc) they are sometimes superior to newer games.
Add that you get a free game every month with xbx gold.

Ps4, has much better exclusives. Nintendo is still in 2003 when it comes to online gaming, and most games are geared towards kids and have shit tier story telling/graphics. Xbox One will ban you for telling little squeakers to fuck off who aren't even of age to play the game. So unless you like regular 2 weeks comms bans for saying "fuck off" don't go xbox one.

PS4 has the best catalog of games right now it's not even really up for debate. They have more variety and exclusives than anyone. Go with that.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. At the moment i am leaning towards the xbox because of the entertainment and I want to play cuphead. If any ps4 fans want to convince me to change my mind with a list of awesome exclusive games i am all ears..

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. At the moment i am leaning towards the xbox because of the entertainment and I want to play cuphead. If any ps4 fans want to convince me to change my mind with a list of awesome exclusive games i am all ears..

Hellblade, Horizon, Persona 5, Nier

Just this year to name a couple. Cuphead is great but it's over in less time it'll take you to finish one of those.

I own Xbone, PS4, Switch and a decent gaming PC but the PS4 ruled my year. I only played more on Xbone because my friends have one.

Last edited:

You made the right choice. If you like to play sports games the XB1 is where it's at. After about 5 or 6 months of their release the sports games getting added to the free vault games with EA Access. The UFC and NHL games were going to be a day one purchase for me so the XB1 Made sense. Below are the list of games that EA Access offers....

upload_2017-12-20_19-20-37.png
upload_2017-12-20_19-21-19.png
upload_2017-12-20_19-22-15.png

And here is a list of the game pass games...

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

The PS4 may have a couple of sweet exclusives, but it's not like there isn't enough to keep you busy on the XB1. Plus you can get all of the above games right off the bat for a very small fee.

You made the right choice. If you like to play sports games the XB1 is where it's at. After about 5 or 6 months of their release the sports games getting added to the free vault games with EA Access. The UFC and NHL games were going to be a day one purchase for me so the XB1 Made sense. Below are the list of games that EA Access offers....

View attachment 315051
View attachment 315053
View attachment 315057

And here is a list of the game pass games...

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

The PS4 may have a couple of sweet exclusives, but it's not like there isn't enough to keep you busy on the XB1. Plus you can get all of the above games right off the bat for a very small fee.
LOL at "made the right choice". First, he didn't indicate making a decision, and second, stop shilling MS because that's your jam. There's no "right choice", here. There's no "best" offering, and if there is, the Xbox has little to no case to make as a gaming machine. Its library is humiliated by the Sony library. Microsoft has positioned the XB1 very well moving forward, but that's where we stand.

This is a subjective decision with HTPC capabilities and hardware horsepower as ancillary concerns to game libraries. This decision should be made by the person buying with this as the primary resource:
https://gematsu.com/exclusives

LOL at "made the right choice". First, he didn't indicate making a decision, and second, stop shilling MS because that's your jam. There's no "right choice", here. There's no "best" offering, and if there is, the Xbox has little to no case to make as a gaming machine. Its library is humiliated by the Sony library. Microsoft has positioned the XB1 very well moving forward, but that's where we stand.

This is a subjective decision with HTPC capabilities and hardware horsepower as ancillary concerns to game libraries. This decision should be made by the person buying with this as the primary resource:
https://gematsu.com/exclusives

Calm down there pancakes... Xbox is just what works for me for what type of gamer I am. I don't give a shit what anybody else wants to play I'm just trying to share the knowledge I have for what will give him the best bang for his buck.

I have ps4 2 xbones a switch and wiiu. ..i play the Nintendo and Xbox the most.. ps4 controllers are shit

its about $500 here in Oz, it must be good

Bulky as fuck.
Lots and lots of cords and shit to attach.
Goggles fog up and i sweat like a bitch.

The PS4 VR headset is not quite there yet. I sold mine- thankfully got back what i paid.

Bulky as fuck.
Lots and lots of cords and shit to attach.
Goggles fog up and i sweat like a bitch.

The PS4 VR headset is not quite there yet. I sold mine- thankfully got back what i paid.
i was looking at getting one for a friends kid and i honestly thought it came with a console at approx $550, i wouldnt pay for it on principle at that price and considering what youve said about its a joke on their part,
i bought my son that xbox kinect when it first hit the shelves and he packed it away after a week never to use again, best to wait i guess with these things until the kinks have been ironed out

XBONE is excellent. I would recommend you get that one.

So I got an Xbox1 for a few reasons; my son likes sports games, cuphead and will be easier to sell to my wife , who hates games, as an entertainment unit. I understand that Ps4 has more exclusive games but at the moment there isnt anything that ps4 has that i am desperate to play.

So I got an Xbox1 for a few reasons; my son likes sports games, cuphead and will be easier to sell to my wife , who hates games, as an entertainment unit. I understand that Ps4 has more exclusive games but at the moment there isnt anything that ps4 has that i am desperate to play.
I have a PS4 but it sounds like you made the right decision. Solid reasons there.

I had no idea that gsmes took so long to install. 2 hours plus for battlefront 2!

I had no idea that gsmes took so long to install. 2 hours plus for battlefront 2!

Yep... The days of picking up a game and turning on your system to play it right away is over. The hard drives fill up really quick too. You can connect any 3rd party external hard drive up to 3TB per USB port. The HD's need to be USB 3.0 though. I have 2 separate 1 TB Hard Drives hooked up to mine.

Was going to suggest PS4 but you already made your choice. Make sense since you prefer sports games although I would want to believe that the experience is the same on PS4? Is that much worse comparatively when playing the same sports game from one xbone to PS4???

anyway congratz on you spankin' new console.

Back