Which is the better movie, The Matrix, or Star Wars: A New Hope?

Which is the better movie, The Matrix, or Star Wars: A New Hope?

• Total voters

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Star Wars is a classic, but Imo the matrix is better on every level.

Which do you choose?

Matrixpill.jpg

Honestly I can't decide.

Empire trumps both though.

Because Star Wars is clearly the superior film.

Really, even the first one? I've always liked the Star Wars ficks, but I never understood the obsessive fan base. Imo The Matrix is a thought provoking Sci-Fi Film where as the first Star Wars is more of a Space Opera with great visuals that is more aimed for kids. I'm not going to knock your opinion, but I think it's a reasonable comparison.

I'm picking the Matrix because that seems more like an adult movie compared to Star Wars.

Really, even the first one? I've always liked the Star Wars ficks, but I never understood the obsessive fan base. Imo The Matrix is a thought provoking Sci-Fi Film where as the first Star Wars is more of a Space Opera with great visuals that is more aimed for kids. I'm not going to knock your opinion, but I think it's a reasonable comparison.
Kids grew up watching the films when the movie industry was at its heyday and playing with the toys. Lots of fond memories with Star Wars, and the kids of the 70s and 80s now want to share that with their children. Matrix made a thought provoking sci fi film. Star Wars built a legacy.

I'm picking the Matrix because that seems more like an adult movie compared to Star Wars.
I would say SW gives the viewer a greater chance to imagine themselves into the role of Luke. He's much more relatable as an everyman loser who's struggling to become what he eventually does.

The Matrix is based on a true story, so I'll go with that one.

Last edited:
Star wars.

Matrix would have had a chance if it had a Wookie in it.

Kids grew up watching the films when the movie industry was at its heyday and playing with the toys. Lots of fond memories with Star Wars, and the kids of the 70s and 80s now want to share that with their children. Matrix made a thought provoking sci fi film. Star Wars built a legacy.
So, Star Wars is a better movie because...fond memories ?

I would say SW gives the viewer a greater chance to imagine themselves into the role of Luke. He's much more relatable as an everyman loser who's struggling to become what he eventually does.
You can't be serious. Some schmuck working a dead end 9-5 office job, spending his evenings eating doritos and chilling on his computer isn't as relatable as a costume wearing weirdo living in a desert but in s distant planet. Pretty sure Arab nomads are the only people that can relate more to luke

Partly.
Movies need to judged on the time in which they were released, so comparing movies that are that far apart there is going to be an element of nostalgia.

Partly.
Movies need to judged on the time in which they were released, so comparing movies that are that far apart there is going to be an element of nostalgia.
The amount of time between the star wars release and the matrix is only a few years between the matrix and us now. Nostalgia aside. The matrix is a superior movie in almost every aspect, except...fond memories of course.

No, it's better because it has replay value. I can't really watch matrix all the way through. But work on your reading comp skills; my post was addressing a specific inquiry.

The amount of time between the star wars release and the matrix is only a few years between the matrix and us now. Nostalgia aside. The matrix is a superior movie in almost every aspect, except...fond memories of course.
Special effects. The rest is subjective.

Star Wars: A New Hope kick-started a franchise which created a cultural phenomenon that is probably > The Matrix one.

But The Matrix imo is a superior movie; technically, was a better screenplay and has a more unique narrative.

I voted for The Matrix

Last edited:
You can't be serious. Some schmuck working a dead end 9-5 office job, spending his evenings eating doritos and chilling on his computer isn't as relatable as a costume wearing weirdo living in a desert but in s distant planet. Pretty sure Arab nomads are the only people that can relate more to luke

<TheWire1>

Maybe they fucking did. So we've potentially got a bunch of people in the desert who feel like they're Luke fighting the evil Empire. And in some ways they'd be right.

And... of course it turns out I'm not one of the first to make the connection (above post aside):

starwars-485x327.jpg

The brilliance of The Matrix will forever be tarnished by the subsequent sequels. You can put Jar Jar Binks in a Star Wars film and it still doesn't ruin its legacy.

Back