Which is the better movie, The Matrix, or Star Wars: A New Hope?

Which is the better movie, The Matrix, or Star Wars: A New Hope?

• Total voters
Kids grew up watching the films when the movie industry was at its heyday and playing with the toys. Lots of fond memories with Star Wars, and the kids of the 70s and 80s now want to share that with their children. Matrix made a thought provoking sci fi film. Star Wars built a legacy.

I was born in 1980, but I still think The Matrix is a better film.

I couldn't even tell you the plot of the first Matrix movie

Anyone wanna help me out?

I love star wars, can’t wait for the next episode

Black resistance fighter rescues trapped hacker to help fight against the machines

This is the best I could come up with

The Matrix solely because it is an enclosed story, while Star Wars leaves everything unresolved.

You have them mixed up

Matrix doesn't resolve anything

The story arc is resolved. Neo realizes his destiny. Becomes the one and unlocks his full potential. Rescues his mentor. Gets the girl. Kills the primary antagonist.

Luke is still an untrained Jedi at the end of New Hope in need of training. Fails to save his mentor and doesn't get to avenge him. Doesn't get the girl. Primary antagonist is still alive and a threat at the end of the film.

The Matrix series could've ended with the first movie and probably should have. A New Hope demands the follow up movies.

The story arc is resolved. Neo realizes his destiny. Becomes the one and unlocks his full potential. Rescues his mentor. Gets the girl. Kills the primary antagonist.

Luke is still an untrained Jedi at the end of New Hope in need of training. Fails to save his mentor and doesn't get to avenge him. Doesn't get the girl. Primary antagonist is still alive and a threat at the end of the film.

The Matrix series could've ended with the first movie and probably should have. A New Hope demands the follow up movies.

Matrix has humans still living as batteries when the movie ends.

Star Wars ends with the death star being destroyed and a giant party. Vader is still around but you could pass that off as sequel bait.

Matrix has humans still living as batteries when the movie ends.

Star Wars ends with the death star being destroyed and a giant party. Vader is still around but you could pass that off as sequel bait.

Not only is Vader still around, the Empire is still in power. Destroying the Death Star only prevented the Rebellion from being instantly annihilated, it didn't change the power structure of the galaxy. The rebels may be celebrating a victory, but they are still in a position where they are most likely fucked.

Neo goes from being a regular loser to the most powerful being in the world, seemingly invincible and destroying agents like they are nothing. The movie leaves us with the impression that the tide has turned in favor of the humans and that Neo is about to wake everyone up and shit is about to go down.

The Matrix was a lot of people's first exposure to simulation hypothesis, including mine, which is a really fun and thought provoking idea that would now, by most people, be described as "living in the matrix." But it wasn't actually original, and was anything else about the movie memorable? I don't really remember it, and I can't imagine myself watching the movie again, neither of which are problems with A New Hope, which is hokey but fun, and great for kids.

The Matrix was a lot of people's first exposure to simulation hypothesis, including mine, which is a really fun and thought provoking idea that would now, by most people, be described as "living in the matrix." But it wasn't actually original, and was anything else about the movie memorable? I don't really remember it, and I can't imagine myself watching the movie again, neither of which are problems with A New Hope, which is hokey but fun, and great for kids.
Star Wars reminds me of a marvel film, matrix dc. The tone is too heavy for repeated views.

I never connected with any of the Matrix films.

Star Wars is timeless. Matrix isn't.

Also The Matrix is the kinda movie that appeals to Asians who wear leather coats, bad sunglasses and listen to 23rd century Austrian synth electronica.

Back