1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for a live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE TONIGHT at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT!

Which sport will have a better 2018, Boxing or MMA?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Draper, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Draper

Draper Bronze Bomber

It's safe to say that boxing absolutely annihilated MMA in 2017, but I feel that MMA has a chance to make it close in 2018's bid for #1 combat sport. Both have some pretty good fights lined up and potentially taking place this year:

BOXING
    Confirmed fights so far:
    Errol Spence vs Lamont Peterson
    Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz
    Danny Garcia vs Brandon Rios
    Anthony Joshua vs Joseph Parker -- extremely likely, purse split already agreed upon.
    Chris Eubank Jr. vs George Groves

Potential fights:
    Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua --- Undisputed HW championship
    Canelo vs GGG 2 --- Highly likely
    Errol Spence vs Terence Crawford
    Terence Crawford vs Jeff Horn
    Keith Thurman vs Jessie Vargas
    Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter 2
    Danny Jacobs vs Billy Joe Saunders
    GGG vs Jermall Charlo if he beats Canelo --- mandated by WBC. Canelo likely to drop the belt if he beats GGG.
    Amir Khan vs Adrien Broner
    Vasyl Lomachenko vs Mikey Garcia
    Tyson Fury vs some bum
    Tyson Fury vs winner of AJ/Wilder

MMA
    Confirmed fights so far:
    Francis Ngannou vs Stipe Miocic
    Daniel Cormier vs Volkan Oezdemir
    Robert Whittaker vs Luke Rockhold
    Max Holloway vs Frankie Edgar

Potential fights:
    Khabib vs Tony Ferguson
    Conor McGregor vs Khabib/Tony winner
    Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz 3
    Woodley vs Covington/RDA
    TJ Dillashaw vs Demetrious Johnson
    GSP vs someone
    Cyborg vs Nunes

Verdict: Boxing will probably have a better 2018 than MMA.

I don't consider trashy MMA organizations like Bellator as capable of producing elite/big fights, so I opted out of mentioning their rosters entirely. I think boxing has a much better outlook than MMA for 2018 but the margin isn't going to be as embarrassingly wide as it was in 2017.

2. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

I reckon this is the year for ultimate surrender to take over the mantle as most interesting combat sport.

HelpYouFall, Kassitus, JayE and 5 others like this.
  3. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

We'll see how it plays out. MMA needs a good year in 2018. There's a reason Dana is using Floyd's name as leverage to renew their FOX deal.

Devilton and Hagler like this.
  4. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

Many of the faces of MMA are dicking around trying to compete in boxing and refusing to fight legitimate contenders, while long established champs like MM are being paid terrible and being treated like crap. That should tell you enough.

Honestly, if there is a year where MMA outside the UFC or even Bellator (WSOF, One Championship, Pancrase, Fight Nights Global, Deep, Road FC, KSW, Titan FC, Rizin FF) makes a resurgence, it's 2018, because WME has thrown all legitimacy out the window. Fights like Woodley/Diaz should never even be discussed, and champions should defend their belts. The UFC's new approach towards interim belts is WBAesque in its lack of regard for accomplishment Joe.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Boxiana, Jonny Ninja, Hansie and 3 others like this.
  5. CatchnShoot

CatchnShoot Black Belt

I thought WSOF went tits up.... whoops.

6. moosaev

moosaev Green Belt

The Tony-Khabib-Conor triangle will decide how good a year ufc is having. If they play their cards it can be a huge.

Devilton, Rider1 and HectorG like this.
  7. aries

aries Silver Belt

It looks pretty good for boxing. Certainly 2017 was a massive year for boxing. If 2018 can approach that then we're in for a treat. Can't say I'm as excited by the MMA bouts and potentials.

8. wolfss

wolfss Green Belt

The biggest fight in 2017 had a ufc fighter in it!! It wasn’t boxing, it was more of a circus!!

9. wolfss

wolfss Green Belt

Other than canelo and ggg, it wasn’t very news worthy. Kovalev and SOG only sold like 250k ppv between both fights!! Boxing realy sucks!! Especially with out Mayweather,canelo...... ggg sells very little unless he’s fighting canelo.

10. The Can Opener

The Can Opener Brown Belt

It wasn't boxing now?

You MMA dudes are just broken.

Devilton and JayE like this.
  11. HectorG

HectorG Orange Belt

There’s a reason that Dana white is getting into boxing and trying to land Anthony Joshua.

12. Kassitus

Kassitus Blue Belt

If Spence fights Crawford, Loma fights Garcia, and Joshua fights Wilder boxing will win garanteed. The best fights MMA might deliver are Conor vs Tony and TJ vs DJ.

13. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

I think we're talking potentially great match ups and not PPV buys.

Devilton likes this.
  14. wolfss

wolfss Green Belt

What would you call it,really? Everyone knew in advance that McGregor was gonna lose. It sold because it was a freak show with crazy amounts of advertising not because it was a legit fight. You know that boxing sucks nuts! I like coming over here to rustle some jimmies. I usually watch soccer or boxing when I’m having trouble sleeping. Jab, sshhh,jab,ssshhh, clinch,jab,ssshh.

15. JayE

JayE Black Belt

Only a brilliant mind could produce material of this quality. You've got us losing our minds, man.

Boxiana, moosaev, Devilton and 4 others like this.
  16. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Brown Belt

I’d say boxing as the ufc is in a fckin state at the moment. No active LW champ, no active MW champ. The biggest nsme in the sport is scared to defend his belt. The best fighter in the the sport keeps juicing even though he has all of the physical advantages

cocksure likes this.
  17. HelpYouFall

HelpYouFall Purple Belt

In the kitchen, not bothered over a steak.
    No one over here even knows who you are. Do yourself a favor and run a google search on 'delusions of grandeur'.

18. aries

aries Silver Belt

You didn't mention AJ vs Klitschko which was a huge fight. And I don't care how many sells SOG got the fact is we had two of the very best facing off against one another. For a true boxing fan that's a gift, we don't really care about McG vs. PBF. And to end the year we had Lomachenko vs. Rigondeaux. As a boxing fan I couldn't ask for more.

19. cocksure

cocksure Red Belt

If Ngannou wins they will promote the hell out of him but is he the new Michael Grant?
    Rockhold/Whittaker is an interesting fight for all the marbles.
    Khabib will be a solid champ if he can stay fit.
    Conor needs to relinquish and take superfights, he's transcended the sport. If he's serious about fighting Khabib in Russia respect for him will soar again.

Tbh I love both but MMA is way easier to pirate;)

Devilton likes this.
  20. Sakuraba7

Sakuraba7 Black Belt

Its always hard to compare these two...especially when you're really just comparing one promotion with another entire sport, and most people neither factor the smaller divisions of Boxing nor the non-UFC promotions of MMA when making this comparison.

Personally, I will say boxing will continue to have huge shakeups and new champs. We will see the return of a number of guys from Thurman to Amir Khan, breathing life back to the Welterweight division which has been dead for the last year. Horn vs Crawford is another one to watch.

You will see new contenders at Super Welterweight like Magomed Kurbanov, Julian Williams and Kanat Islam, after Sadam Ali already shocked the world with his impressive upset of Cotto who just retired. What happens to Ali next is certainly intriguing.

Then there's the Light Heavyweight division which is bubbling with excitement as all fighters attempt to unify, and Kovalev tries to reclaim his spot at the top. Artur Beterbiev and Bivol are two must watch fighters.

I expect the Super Flyweight division to lose most of its hype in the months following Superfly 2, with the attention now geared towards the Bantamweight division. Naoya Inoue moves up and seeks to unify, with Zolane Tete making huge noise in the UK and Ryan Burnett already holding 2 belts.

cocksure likes this.