Which Star Wars edition (currently available for purchase) is the best?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I was a kid in the 90s and the first time I was introduced to Star Wars was when the original trilogy was released on VHS in the 90s. I'm looking to buy the original trilogy (don't care about the prequels) but not sure which version to get. I know George Lucas has made a ton of superficial edits over the years and ideally I'd like the original version but I know that doesn't legally exist. Which release is the best version to purchase? I'm looking for something on blu-ray.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions are the best you can get but they're only available via torrent sites

I was really hoping that for the 40th anniversary of Star Wars they would release a blu ray of the the theatrical cut of the original trilogy.

I had thought that under Disney’s ownership instead of Lucas that maybe we could get that, but alas, we’re still waiting for something that may never come.

Weesa free!!

The changes Lucas made were miniscule

Go get a blu ray version of the trilogy anywhere and enjoy

People always keep slamming the prequels, but at least they were original and had original ideas.

The force awakens was a shameless f**king reboot and "selling nostalgia" type movie, yet everyone loves it.

People always keep slamming the prequels, but at least they were original and had original ideas.

The force awakens was a shameless f**king reboot and "selling nostalgia" type movie, yet everyone loves it.
yeah it's stupid. The prequels were far from perfect, but they were disappointing because they were from George Effing Lucas. JJ Abrams hasn't ever produced anything not forgettable, including The Force Awakens. People are grading this shit on curve and not even realizing it.

The changes Lucas made were miniscule

Go get a blu ray version of the trilogy anywhere and enjoy

Miniscule?

James Cameron's changes to Terminator 2 are miniscule.

Lucas made very substantial changes. He made changes to specifically alter the character of Han Solo. He removed actors from scenes and replaced them with actors from the prequels. He even replaced a song in the soundtrack with some kind of baby music.

You'll have to shop.
Look around for the least altered version.
Lucas went crazy with the need to reissue them with more and more shit shoved into every frame

Miniscule?

Lucas made very substantial changes. He made changes to specifically alter the character of Han Solo. He removed actors from scenes and replaced them with actors from the prequels. He even replaced a song in the soundtrack with some kind of baby music.
Ive watched both versions and didn't notice any difference.

Ive watched both versions and didn't notice any difference.

His changes to the music were pretty fucking noticeable. That shrieking show tune from the jiggling CGI troll woman was atrocious. Also, changing the final song from the Ewoks celebration was just pointless and awful. The new explosions of the Death stars were on point.

So I was a kid in the 90s and the first time I was introduced to Star Wars was when the original trilogy was released on VHS in the 90s. I'm looking to buy the original trilogy (don't care about the prequels) but not sure which version to get. I know George Lucas has made a ton of superficial edits over the years and ideally I'd like the original version but I know that doesn't legally exist. Which release is the best version to purchase? I'm looking for something on blu-ray.
Ebay has original versions of the VHS tapes if you want to buy someone's old tapes. I know you said you're looking for something on blu-ray but if you really want the originals, they are out there on VHS

Torrent it.

I think the best strips though are sourced from laserdisc if you want to view the original in high quality.

Miniscule?

The most egregious act in my opinion is changing Vader's force ghost from the actual actor to that Hayden kid who played Anakin. Such trash.

The most egregious act in my opinion is changing Vader's force ghost from the actual actor to that Hayden kid who played Anakin. Such trash.

That is perhaps the most artistically unjustifiable of the whole lot. I think for me it's down to that one and replacing Lapti Nek with whatever that screaming baby shit is in the space nightclub.

And the 3rd through 10th worst would probably top any other director's list of bad retroactive decisions (sans Ridley Scott).

Miniscule?

yeah he took out the yub nubs

Back