Whipping a punch...?

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I saw a video once (wish I could find it again to share for people to evaluate) where the presenter described throwing a punch with your shoulder and letting your fist catch up a fraction of a millisecond later to give the punch an almost whip like motion to add power.

I remember hearing it and thinking “Maybe rarely, but doesn’t that telegraph the punch?” But recently I was reading Jack Dempsey’s book “Championship Fighting” in which he describes a tactic called a “Shoulder Whirl.”

Basically after throwing say a straight right he says “Now suddenly whirl your shoulders to your right and LET the shoulder whirl shoot your left fist. Be sure you LET the whirl shoot your fist instead of letting your projecting left arm pull your left shoulder around...”

It sounds like a more loquacious and detailed way of describing that whip like motion. I’m not against using a whip like motion, I’ve just always been taught to keep my eyes on the center of the clavicle so that my eyes can watch the motion of the shoulders and this catch any tells of an on-coming punch and it seems to me this whipping type motion is exactly the tell I’d need to successfully evade the punch.

Have any of you been taught to use this whipping type motion or have used it successfully?

I do this on a body hook

It happens on all punches really, but very prevalent on the body hook

Groves used this a lot vs Eubank jr. He actually dislocated his shoulder because of the force being transferred through the kinetic "whip"

its pretty common in karate.
I sometimes stumble upon these "forgotten secrets of boxing" articles and posts, look at them and realize it's all basic karate. :D

I have that book. Not sure what year it is. Wealth of information from a great fighter. Works well as a split second counter punch thrown from a position Dempsey was unique for.

Back