Whiskey/scotch drinkers?

Ugabus

White Belt
Reaction score
I drink Johnny Walker Blue label.
I also like Tullamore Dew.

I like to try new stuff so if you drink something different post it up.
I dont really drink to get fucked up more just enjoy a sip before bed to relax.

I gave a buddy a bottle of Devil's Cut for Christmas.

It didn't quite make it through the night.

Just bought some of this the other day. I haven't tried any high-end bourbons (I usually stick with beer), but this definitely has a good taste to it.

what ive had lately:

Connemara Original

92516-normal.jpg

Irelands only peated Whysky, so they say.
No age description.

smoky upfront,then vanilla and fruity.
No real oak
It was o.k

Ardmore Legacy

No age description
a rare peated Highland Scotch

some typical Highland spicyness.
mostly fruity
Some smoke on the finish
no real oak or vanilla

theres better ones for the price

ardmore-legacy-70cl-2281-0-1425489746000.jpg

Glenmorangie Lasanta

LASANTA.jpg

aged for 10yrs in Bourbon casks,Finished in Sherry casks for 2 yrs

Surprisingly heavy on Sherry for just 2 yrs in a cask.
Good amount of oak tanin and vanilla and grapes

This is one to drink.I got it on sale for 35EUR

So.... I just applied for a job that would give me double the salary. I know saving money should be on my agenda BUT, IF I get the job I want to splurge on something. Leaning towards getting Blue Label for shitsngiggles but I kinda want a badass single too.

Oban 14 and Bulleit Rye are my go to whiskeys

80$ for a Laphroaig 10?
Sounds a little high to me.
Theyre like 30-35 EUR in Germany

Yeah that is way high. It is like 45$ at my grocery store. It is great though. Tastes like a forest fire.

what ive had lately:

Connemara Original

92516-normal.jpg

Irelands only peated Whysky, so they say.
No age description.

smoky upfront,then vanilla and fruity.
No real oak
It was o.k

Ardmore Legacy

No age description
a rare peated Highland Scotch

some typical Highland spicyness.
mostly fruity
Some smoke on the finish
no real oak or vanilla

theres better ones for the price

ardmore-legacy-70cl-2281-0-1425489746000.jpg

Glenmorangie Lasanta

LASANTA.jpg

aged for 10yrs in Bourbon casks,Finished in Sherry casks for 2 yrs

Surprisingly heavy on Sherry for just 2 yrs in a cask.
Good amount of oak tanin and vanilla and grapes

This is one to drink.I got it on sale for 35EUR

The Connemara was definitely interesting, that fruity rounded edge with the peat was just different enough from a peated scotch to keep me interested. Don't know if I'd want a full bottle, but a glass out at the bar was worth the price, to try.

Anyway, looks like Pappy van Winkle is showing up on bar shelves near me again, so I'm looking forward to having a taste or two, and probably getting a bottle of the Old Rip for the home since its a little less scarce at retail.

Also, checking out vintry wine and whiskey in Manhattan later in the month, hoping to get a taste of an Islay or two that I can't find in Boston.

So.... I just applied for a job that would give me double the salary. I know saving money should be on my agenda BUT, IF I get the job I want to splurge on something. Leaning towards getting Blue Label for shitsngiggles but I kinda want a badass single too.

JWB is amazing, can't go wrong with that. MacCallan 18 for a similar price is a bit better though, and a single.

Red Breast is probably my favorite sipper.

Redbreast12YO.jpg

I like whiskey but I've never had scotch. Been interested though. What's good for a beginner?

The Connemara was definitely interesting, that fruity rounded edge with the peat was just different enough from a peated scotch to keep me interested. Don't know if I'd want a full bottle, but a glass out at the bar was worth the price, to try.

Anyway, looks like Pappy van Winkle is showing up on bar shelves near me again, so I'm looking forward to having a taste or two, and probably getting a bottle of the Old Rip for the home since its a little less scarce at retail.

Also, checking out vintry wine and whiskey in Manhattan later in the month, hoping to get a taste of an Islay or two that I can't find in Boston.

Both the Ardmore & Connemara were Miniatures,so it wasnt a failed investment.

Dalmore King Alexander lll.
Glenmorangie Signet
Glendronach Parliament
Macallan Ruby

are in the same price range (slightly cheaper even).
If you wanna spend on a whale go with one of these.

I am not fancy enough for that stuff makers mark is just fine for me.

I like whiskey but I've never had scotch. Been interested though. What's good for a beginner?

Don't drink a blend. That's generally what puts most noobs off of Scotch. They buy some cheap nasty petrol fume tasting bottle of shite and singe their palates.

My usual recommendation for an entry whisky would be the Glenlivet 12 y.o. it's a reasonably inexpensive speyside with a smooth, accessible nose and palate. In my experience, no matter what style of whisk(e)y one prefers, everybody loves a good speyside; they are perfect session whiskys.

From there, I would encourage branching out a little and trying some of the benchmark labels of each regional style to get an idea of the different characteristics of each; then start trying more sophisticated whiskys in the styles that you personally find appealing. Eventually you will likely find one that you always come back to; I'm an islay man so mine have been Laphroaig and Lagavulin, although I do subscribe to a whisky of the month club which has me trying single malts from different regions (and even different nations) which is fun and tasty.

It is? We haven't seen it in TX (retail) yet, but I've heard it's more difficult to find this year than it ever has been.

JWB is amazing, can't go wrong with that. MacCallan 18 for a similar price is a bit better though, and a single.

Glenmorangie Signet
Glendronach Parliament
Macallan Ruby

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like Jameson. Never tried Johnny Walker, but i want to.

I don't remember if I already posted this or not, but...

baker_s-7-year-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-1.jpg

I'm not a big drinker anymore, but the 2 times I've had a bottle of this next to me (most recently 2 weeks ago) I've taken down 2/3 of the bottle myself. Absolutely delicious.

It's the US equivalent of Macallan 18, imo.

Glenmorangie Signet
Glendronach Parliament
Macallan Ruby

The Glenmorangie 18yo "extremely rare" is a beautiful dram, not too hard on the pocket either.

Scotch:
Lagavulin
Ardbeg 10 (The Uigeadail is my favorite)
Highland Park (18 if you can afford it)

Bourbon:
Russell's Reserve
High West
Four Roses

My first scotch was Glenfiddich 12 year. Inexpensive, and at least in my area, available in smaller bottles for about $15-20.

I used to loooove the scotch that they sold at trader joes. Its slightly smoky, very mellow, and in the 20$ range. It might be house branded, I can't remember.

My first scotch was Laphroaig. Shocking to say the least but now it is a favorite. It smells like something you shouldn't be putting in your mouth (although it smells wonderful.. like a rolling forrest fire or maybe a bonfire on the beach). At the first sip, my mouth didn't know what to do with it.. I then tried a few others and then Lagavulin per Ron Swanson's advice. Both are amazing and definitely my favorites drinks.

It is? We haven't seen it in TX (retail) yet, but I've heard it's more difficult to find this year than it ever has been.

Yeah, one of my favorite bars has a bottle of the pappy 15 and the old rip on hand, not marked way up either, so I'm guessing their liquor purveyor simply sold them on it, rather than it being a bar manager's touch.

The liquor store around the corner from held a bottle for me last time any of the older Van Winkle reserves came in, so I'm putting in a call today, hoping there's been a shipment to New England wholesalers I can capitalize on.

Highland Park 18yr is always a good choice.

I like Jameson. Never tried Johnny Walker, but i want to.

Johnny Green label is pretty good. Blue is smoother IMO but Green is a little cheaper.
I dont mind shelling out for Blue cuz a bottle lasts me quite awhile.

Originally was a Jack and Coke kind of guy. Never had the taste for Scotch.

But had to switch to Rum for JD makes me mean.

Lately I been strictly Bacardi with Club Soda and Lime.

Yeah, one of my favorite bars has a bottle of the pappy 15 and the old rip on hand, not marked way up either, so I'm guessing their liquor purveyor simply sold them on it, rather than it being a bar manager's touch.

The liquor store around the corner from held a bottle for me last time any of the older Van Winkle reserves came in, so I'm putting in a call today, hoping there's been a shipment to New England wholesalers I can capitalize on.

Best of luck to you. I'm starting to think my search for Pappy / ORVW will turn up nothing. I'm a little more optimistic about getting a bottle of William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, but only slightly. People looking to flip these bottles on the grey market are making it incredibly difficult on those like us that simply want to drink a great bourbon.

I want a bottle of this for Christmas. It's $40. It's made in my home state of NC. Single Malt.

Defiant_DM.jpg

I've heard so far that Glenfiddich 12 is a good beginner? Anyone know a place to get it for a good price (im not trying to spend a lot on my first bottle)

Best of luck to you. I'm starting to think my search for Pappy / ORVW will turn up nothing. I'm a little more optimistic about getting a bottle of William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, but only slightly. People looking to flip these bottles on the grey market are making it incredibly difficult on those like us that simply want to drink a great bourbon.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, the resale prices in the thousands confound me. Who wants a bottle if bourbon that much? I've been lucky living next to a liquor store with solid high end options in a low end neighborhood. People will go there looking for uncommon items, but it's nobody's first stop, so I feel like decent stuff sits on the shelf a little longer than it would somewhere in the city center.

I want a bottle of this for Christmas. It's $40. It's made in my home state of NC. Single Malt.

Defiant_DM.jpg

There are some guys making very, very nice corn whiskeys in NC too. Running copper pots that look similar to sherman tanks, as opposed to the alembic-derived look of most commercial Scotch distilleries. Mine's halfway between the two, only with a boil ball halfway up the goose.

I'll bet that drop you recommended, if it came out of one of those NC type stills I'm familiar with, has a swift but pleasant brunt of malt up front, that disappears into oak like a shadow in the mist...

All at a guess. I'd be miffed if it was even close, though...

Had a taste of American Prairie Reserve High West last night. Very good.

Scotch isn't my cup of tea. I used to (and still love) JD and Coke BUT I found out it makes me mean...very mean.

So switch to either:

Captain Morgan and Coke
or
Bacardi and Club Soda

I don't care, I would drink any Whiskey, I get whatever is cheapest per ML

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, the resale prices in the thousands confound me. Who wants a bottle if bourbon that much? I've been lucky living next to a liquor store with solid high end options in a low end neighborhood. People will go there looking for uncommon items, but it's nobody's first stop, so I feel like decent stuff sits on the shelf a little longer than it would somewhere in the city center.
You're very fortunate. One hour ago I got offered a bottle of Pappy 20 and ORVW 10 for $2K (for the pair). I politely declined, and tried not to be offended.

Current favorite. Cheers fellow drinkers.

bushmills-21-year-old-single-malt-irish-whiskey-1.jpg

Talisker

Also, search for the scotch thread for tins of suggestions.

Then go out and buy a bottle of Talisker.

Scotch isn't my cup of tea. I used to (and still love) JD and Coke BUT I found out it makes me mean...very mean.

So switch to either:

Captain Morgan and Coke
or
Bacardi and Club Soda

The same kind of alcohol is in all of these and they're similar in proofs...so I would say if you think JD makes you a different kind of drunk than the others it's probably in your head.

Right now I have

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Smokey Joe
McAllen 18
Chivas Regal 18 (2 of them)

Bourbons I have

Jeffersons Reserve
Blantons
Bookers true barrel bourbon

The same kind of alcohol is in all of these and they're similar in proofs...so I would say if you think JD makes you a different kind of drunk than the others it's probably in your head.

It's something after looking back at my actions each time I drank JD and how it went confirms it. Also, I personally know other people without me volunteering info saying the same thing.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact. There is something in JD that is causing us to get mean. Example: i had a guarantee lay in my car and kicked her out after drinking JD for she was getting my nerves. Same girl a few weeks later I drank something else and I was a completely different person and she could barely move from an all niter with yours truly.

Again there is something in JD that causes me and others to be mean; just is.

Single malt is the way to go.

Macallin 10 and Oban 14 are the best bang for your buck. For bourbon I usually stick to makers mark.

Tesla was a devoted whiskey drinker until the days of Prohibition. Glass a day, he claimed, would extend a man's life. So...

Sorry if it's been discussed, has anybody tried any of the Japanese scotch/whiskeys?

Not anymore, but when I did, it was this:

Talisker_bottlings.jpg

It's something after looking back at my actions each time I drank JD and how it went confirms it. Also, I personally know other people without me volunteering info saying the same thing.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact. There is something in JD that is causing us to get mean. Example: i had a guarantee lay in my car and kicked her out after drinking JD for she was getting my nerves. Same girl a few weeks later I drank something else and I was a completely different person and she could barely move from an all niter with yours truly.

Again there is something in JD that causes me and others to be mean; just is.

Probably rate of consumption and the booze/sugar/caffeine combination more than the liquor itself. Try having one or two over ice, sipped slowly, and test your theory that way.

Captain Morgan is lower proof than jd, so maybe knocking down the amount of booze in each drink (even with the sugar and caffeine) gave you a little more self control.

I've heard so far that Glenfiddich 12 is a good beginner? Anyone know a place to get it for a good price (im not trying to spend a lot on my first bottle)
It's a quite usual choice, since it's very widespread, but I wouldn't reccomend it. It's neither especially interesting, nor especially easy on the pallet.

I'd reccomend a Balvinie. The regular 10yr. Very easy on beginners, but still with a bit of character.
Not anymore, but when I did, it was this:

Talisker_bottlings.jpg

I've had a few bottles of Talisker, and I like it well. I'd still take a Lagavulin before it any day of the week, but I guess I could say that about most whiskys.

Never drink alcohol straight (on ice or not). I know people that can do it but I have to have it mixed with something.

No interest in testing the JD; too many bad things resulted after drinking it. As much as I enjoy JD I have to leave it behind me.

Sorry if it's been discussed, has anybody tried any of the Japanese scotch/whiskeys?

I've had a few and none stood out as exceptional, but none were bad in any way either. My personal favorite among those I've tried is the Kavalan single malt, though the various yamazaki vintages I've tried all have their redeeming qualities. I like a peaty scotch, so they're not likely to ever be favorites of mine, but if your taste runs a little more towards fruit or floral notes, the two I've noted might be right up your alley.

If you haven't had the Platinum label give it a try, it's smooth as fuck. This is my fav reasonably priced scotch.

Talisker-Scotch-Whisky-10-year-old.png

I was in Orkney a few weeks ago, and naturally visited the Highland Park Distillery. From the first time I set my feet in an Orkney bar, my main inquiry was the same: "Why is the local whiskey called Highland Park on an island with no highlands". Nobody actually knew the answer among the numerous local bartenders and locals I asked before I posed the question at the distillery.

It started as an illegal enterprise, and the establisher did his work at a site above the main settlement of Kirkwall so that he would be able to spot officials coming to visit a long time before they arrived. So it's more "high land" than "highlands", I guess.

It was a cool tour, with a lot of focus on traditional methods and the history of the distillery. I got myself two glasses, and a bottle of Highland Park "Svein", which appears to be the cheapest of their "warrior" series, named after old Orkney viking chieftains. I'm drinking a pretty tall glass of it right now. Not my favourite, but it's pretty good, and it makes me think of the visit.

highland-park-svein_medium.jpg

I've had a few bottles of Talisker, and I like it well. I'd still take a Lagavulin before it any day of the week, but I guess I could say that about most whiskys.

A good choice as well. All to taste.

The only Whisky I drink is Macallan.

If it's good enough for James Bond, it's good enough for me.:cool:

Last edited:
Johnny Walker Black is my go-to drink. I need to start drinking more of this when I am out instead of beer. It is just a ripoff. Maccallan and Highland Park are probably better though

Back