Whitebelts spazzing at their finest

This doesn't sound right.

Being the best white belt in the world means you are the best bjj practiontioer with 1-2 years of training. And frankly, I'm 101% positive whoever the white belt world champ of 2018 would absolutely wipe the floor with me even though I'm a "blue belt". Does that really mean he's ready to compete at worlds blue belt ?

It means something, same as blue belt world champ means something too. I don't look at it strictly as belts rather than the best with x range of years training bjj.

Fuck that I see any of my lower teammates act like that, especially on a stage like that, they won’t be teammates of mine any more. The coaches in our association will kick them out with a quickness. Those idiots are an embarrassment of their teams.

Being the best white belt in the world means you are the best bjj practiontioer with 1-2 years of training. And frankly, I'm 101% positive whoever the white belt world champ of 2018 would absolutely wipe the floor with me even though I'm a "blue belt".

It means something, same as blue belt world champ means something too. I don't look at it strictly as belts rather than the best with x range of years training bjj.

The best with x-range of years of training is more meaningful than best of a belt all right, but since some very good people will be graded faster (depending upon their instructor) than other very good people, you don't get all the best bjj practitioners with 1-2 years of training in the white belt division - many of them will be blue belts.

Being the best white belt in the world means you are the best bjj practiontioer with 1-2 years of training. And frankly, I'm 101% positive whoever the white belt world champ of 2018 would absolutely wipe the floor with me even though I'm a "blue belt".

except the best white belt is just someone who should be a blue belt.

they spent 3-4 years doing BJJ and they are still white belts?

I have no specific knowledge about these guys. But we've heard of white belts moving to SoCal to train full time with Atos or the Mendes brothers. I'm assuming those types of guys are the ones winning "Worlds".

Mat time is what counts. Not years since starting. I'm guessing these guys have more mat time than average blue belt that got promoted a year ago.

except the best white belt is just someone who should be a blue belt.

Sort of but let’s say that guy is a blue belt. Then the #2 guys would be champ and people would say the same thing, and he’d get a blue.
And you could repeat until people competing at White had only 2 weeks experience.

And couldn’t you say that about the other belts? Best blue should be purp, best brown etc.?

Sort of but let’s say that guy is a blue belt. Then the #2 guys would be champ and people would say the same thing, and he’d get a blue.
And you could repeat until people competing at White had only 2 weeks experience.

And couldn’t you say that about the other belts? Best blue should be purp, best brown etc.?

Well personally I don't think there should be white or blue belt worlds. Purple is where people start to know some shit, but in my experience there is a large technical gap between purple and brown to the point where I think it's reasonable to be "the best purple belt". Brown and black is mostly time served kinda thing.

Well personally I don't think there should be white or blue belt worlds. Purple is where people start to know some shit, but in my experience there is a large technical gap between purple and brown to the point where I think it's reasonable to be "the best purple belt". Brown and black is mostly time served kinda thing.

I agree that being a white belt champ isn’t much to be be revered.

But I don’t understand why they shouldn’t compete against the best in their rank?
Like why stop them from competing when they otherwise would?

I agree that being a white belt champ isn’t much to be be revered.

But I don’t understand why they shouldn’t compete against the best in their rank?
Like why stop them from competing when they otherwise would?

It then raises the question of what, exactly, is 'their rank'; what does it mean you say say those words arranged just so together?

Is someone who is Marcelo Garcia's reincarnation and has been grappling for a decade, but who never takes a 'promotion', 'really' a 'whitebelt' ?

It then raises the question of what, exactly, is 'their rank'; what does it mean you say say those words arranged just so together?

Is someone who is Marcelo Garcia's reincarnation and has been grappling for a decade, but who never takes a 'promotion', 'really' a 'whitebelt' ?

I would say no personally. But I’m not sure that’s contrary to what I’m saying.

I’m saying. There’s WBs and blues who want to compete, so why stop them from doing so. Let them bang bro!

I would say no personally. But I’m not sure that’s contrary to what I’m saying.

I’m saying. There’s WBs and blues who want to compete, so why stop them from doing so. Let them bang bro!

Indeed? Then you should be able to make the logical connection: the trouble isn't whitebelts and bluebelts wanting to compete with each other, the trouble is 'whitebelts' and 'bluebelts' that want to complete with whitebelts and bluebelts.

Last edited:
Indeed? Then you should be able to make the logical connection: the trouble isn't whitebelts and bluebelts wanting to compete with each other, the trouble is 'whitebelts' and 'bluebelts' that want to complete with whitebelts and bluebelts.

Yeah I follow. Sandbagging is super not cool.
I just don’t think it’s a fair solution to remove that bracket of the worlds altogether. Real white and blues go in knowing there’ll be sand baggers and choose to do it anyways. Why remove the choice for them? It’s good comp experience for when they get into the higher ranks and the medals matter more.

Curious what rank you are at , I’m saying this as a fresh blue. And even though I don’t have any aspirations to compete at worlds, I wouldn’t want someone to make that choice for me.

...Why remove the choice for them?...

...even though I don’t have any aspirations to compete at worlds, I wouldn’t want someone to make that choice for me.

You know, it's somewhat transcending the scope of the discussion, but this is an angle you might see in a lot of places, if you know what you're looking at; something that seems to show up in almost any sort of rhetoric, or theory, or debate out there. At times, something that can seem an all too human conceit.

People are intensely preoccupied with the idea of potential; no arguments sway the limbic systems of man more than ones that invoke it. They love the idea of more potential for something, they bemoan the idea of lost potential for something, they hate or fear the idea of not having potential for something... even if or when it is something that has nothing to do with them personally.

Because people love potential, a man might agitate to unbar floodgates open to the potential for all sorts of unintended consequences, or externalities, or abuses, simply because he likes the idea of being able to do thing if he wanted too, even if he doesn't actually want too.

The desire for control (or frustrated will to power) sublimates itself through all sorts of different fantastic outlets.

Last edited:
Back