Who’s producing the best strikers in mma 2019 edition?

DoctorTaco

Breadhead
@Gold
Reaction score
this gets brought up time to time but I figured it was worth bringing up again in an updated discussion. Which camp or coach is training the best strikers in mma right now? If you could be a fly on the wall in any gym or follow around any trainer for a week Purely for education, who would it be?

Duane Ludwig would be my number one guy. The guy has a pretty complex system but has a a great way of explaining and teaching in seminars.
Whoever Henry Cejudo has been training with more recently. I thinks his strikings got quite a bit better, heard he was working with the Machidas and maybe that explains his karate looking stance. Also, Brain Ortega seems to be a regular in the Machida Academy in Cali. There seems to be a close link between The Machida Academy and The Gracie Academy(in Torrance I think), with Lyoto training there often too. Probably because they are pretty close to eachother. Rener and Lyoto also appeared on Schaub's podcast together and were discussing eachothers schools.
With Dan Hooker and Adesanya both training out of City Kickboxing, whatevers going on there seems to be working. Eugene Bareman is the main man there I think
I'd always like to train Stephen Thompson and his dad Ray, that american karate/kickboxing style can be hard to deal with

Duane Ludwig would be my number one guy. The guy has a pretty complex system but has a a great way of explaining and teaching in seminars.
Whoever Henry Cejudo has been training with more recently. I thinks his strikings got quite a bit better, heard he was working with the Machidas and maybe that explains his karate looking stance. Also, Brain Ortega seems to be a regular in the Machida Academy in Cali. There seems to be a close link between The Machida Academy and The Gracie Academy(in Torrance I think), with Lyoto training there often too. Probably because they are pretty close to eachother. Rener and Lyoto also appeared on Schaub's podcast together and were discussing eachothers schools.
With Dan Hooker and Adesanya both training out of City Kickboxing, whatevers going on there seems to be working. Eugene Bareman is the main man there I think
I'd always like to train Stephen Thompson and his dad Ray, that american karate/kickboxing style can be hard to deal with
duane has done some amazing things for fighters but his system is so complex I’m not sure what I could take away from it with only a week studying and shadowing him.

Plus one for the machida academy, thats solid lead.

As a rule of thumb I'd think of places that have more than just one main guy who has success.

For example, McGregor is a very good striker but i'd be fairly confident in saying most of that is from McGregor himself not necessarily SBGi, and could probably find success most anywhere.

As to the question i have a few thoughts. One thing that jumped out to me before and after the Khabib vs McGregor match, was how people sometimes forgot that American Kickboxing Academy started life out as... a kickboxing academy. They are most known nowadays for all the good wrestling based fighters they have (i would say that is simply a reflection of trends of what works best in mma though), but all of them know how to handle themselves on the feet, including and even the more dedicated ground fighters like Khabib (as we saw in the Iaquinta and McGregor fights).

There's a few other places that come to mind with regards to striking;

Kings MMA has had guys like like Werdum, RDA, and Kelvin Gastelum as stand outs.

Ricardo Almeida Jiu-Jitsu might be a surprising name to hear, but they have guys like Frankie Edgar, Eddie Alvarez, Marlon Moraes, and Zabit Magomedsharipov.

ATT has produced a lot of guys with good striking, from JDS, to Yoel Romero, to Robbie Lawler, to Douglas Lima, to Tyron Woodley, to Santiago Ponzinibbio, to Albert Tumenov, to Dustin Poirier, to John Lineker, to Jussier da Silva, to Kyoji Horiguchi.

You know if i were to look up a list of successful submission/ground fighters, a long list of those names would happen to also be from ATT. In my opinion they've been the best organization in the business for a while now.

Last edited:
this gets brought up time to time but I figured it was worth bringing up again in an updated discussion. Which camp or coach is training the best strikers in mma right now? If you could be a fly on the wall in any gym or follow around any trainer for a week Purely for education, who would it be?

CSA gym and Duane Ludwig

if i took the time to research im sure theres alot more coaches and gyms worth visiting in the US for both MT and MMA.

Factory X is young but coming up quickly and seriously sharpening the standup skills of several fighters. One to watch IMO.

Back