Who are the current NFL players who should be first-ballot HOF? How exclusive should that be?

Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlisberger probably, but why Julius Peppers?
Think (minus Watt) of the most prolific pass rushers of the last like... 10 years.

There's Peppers, Harrison, Allen come to mind for me. I was annoyed when both Allen and Peppers were FA's that the Packers got Peppers instead of Allen. I'll admit, I thought the dude was washed up. He's old as fuck NOW for the position and still has more sacks than fucking Matthews who is younger than him, had more sacks at the time of SIGNING with the Pack than Allen did too.

Think (minus Watt) of the most prolific pass rushers of the last like... 10 years.

There's Peppers, Harrison, Allen come to mind for me. I was annoyed when both Allen and Peppers were FA's that the Packers got Peppers instead of Allen. I'll admit, I thought the dude was washed up. He's old as fuck NOW for the position and still has more sacks than fucking Matthews who is younger than him, had more sacks at the time of SIGNING with the Pack than Allen did too.

DeMarcus Ware has the most sacks in the past 10 years. Von Molly has the most sacks since JJ Watt was drafted.

I was having this discussion with a friend earlier about how nominally exclusive first ballot HOF entries should be. That is, with players that are obvious HOF locks, who should be made to wait until their second year of eligibility and that time in line should be a factor in older players getting the bump in consideration.

The way I see it, the only sure-fire first ballots in the league currently would be:

1. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
2. Joe Thomas, OT, Browns
3. Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers
4. Darrelle Revis, CB, Chiefs

Beyond that, there are others who are very close, like
5. Drew Brees, QB, Saints
6. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals
7. Antonio Brown, WR, Steelers
8. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers
9. Adrian Peterson, RB, Cardinals

And, beyond those six, I think that second-year eligibility is (currently) more appropriate, such as:
10. Von Miller, OLB, Broncos
11. JJ Watt, DE, Texans
12. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers

This excludes recently retired first-ballots like Demarcus Ware and Steve Smith.

There is no justification to have Revis ahead of Brees or Rodgers.

Frank Gore?
interesting time to bring his name up. Sunday he moved from 7th all time up to 5th all time (passed bettis and LT).

He was never considered #1 at his position but at the same time, every single RB that's top 10 in yards where all first ballot hall of fame (he currently sits 5th). He doesn't scream flashy but at the same time you can't first ballot everyone in the top 10 and then turn around and don't put him in

Probably the most interesting HOF debate I've ever seen

interesting time to bring his name up. Sunday he moved from 7th all time up to 5th all time (passed bettis and LT).

He was never considered #1 at his position but at the same time, every single RB that's top 10 in yards where all first ballot hall of fame (he currently sits 5th). He doesn't scream flashy but at the same time you can't first ballot everyone in the top 10 and then turn around and don't put him in

Probably the most interesting HOF debate I've ever seen
It’s odd because he doesn’t have a transcendent stretch of years but he’s as consistent as it comes.

It’s odd because he doesn’t have a transcendent stretch of years but he’s as consistent as it comes.

He's kind of like a poor man's Curtis Martin but Martin's best year came at the end of his career so it was like an exclamation point (and Martin had better stats.

He's kind of like a poor man's Curtis Martin but Martin's best year came at the end of his career so it was like an exclamation point (and Martin had better stats.
That's exactly who I compare him to.

Also glad to hear you agree Eli is first ballot.

Yeah its strange. During he career he never had that flash that screamed Canton but now that his career is winding down, his consistency has really shined.

Really weird that he was never the best at his position but if you ask any player/media member "is frank gore one of the greatest players to ever play professional football", I guarantee you every single one says yes (during the last two season, the media/sportscasters often refer/label him as "canton bound" "hof career" and "future gold jacket).

RB hasn't exactly been a staple position during Gore's era and I think thats why longevity will help (it's a brutal position that's only getting worst, "30 and done" is a common statement for a reason). From 2002 to 2006 draft class there isn't a single running back thats even close to Gore's accomplishments. There's been lots of guys that are fringe 10,000 with 2 pro bowls but thats about it (guys like Portis, Forte, Chris Johnson, Jackson). Peterson is the only real guy in the last 13-14 years that I would confidently put above Gore .

Last edited:
Joe Thomas, Adam Vinatieri, Tom Brady. Maybe Antonio Gates. Then there are all the other QBs that will probably get in on their first crack -- Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger.

He never lead the league any season. He just stayed healthier than all the others of his generation, and was pretty consistent. Yet, he has had his down seasons. He never won SB.

If Frank Gore gets in, then why not A Pete, if no one mention him yet. Let say he missed three seasons. When he did play, he much better than Gore.

Most rushing yards in game

Most rushing TD over 60 yds.

1x MVP

3x rushing champ

Also, did anyone say Antonio Cromartie?

giphy.gif

Brees, Rodgers, throw Eli's name in there. Say any of them took Brady's spot they'd all have done just as well as Brady.

I have a Pats friend that I was talking to this weekend and he was like "people are calling Brady GOAT just cause he won a ton of SBs. I think Rodgers is, he's just been screwed by a moronic front office"
Eli, fuck no! He's also had better receivers than Brady. I give Eli credit for his Super Bowl wins. That will probably get him into Canton.

But his overall numbers ain't shit compared to Brady. He's had seasons where he threw more picks than touchdowns. Brady has the best TD:INT ratio in NFL history besides Rodgers. Brady's thrown 147 more touchdowns and 69 less picks. Are you fucking kidding me?

Back