Who Are Your Two Top Vocalists In Heavy Metal History?

Tarja Turunen, former lead singer of Nightwish
Roy Khan, former lead singer of Kamelot

Only 2???

Can't decide between Dickenson, Halford, Dio or Geoff Tate (all in their primes of course)

Tarja Turunen, former lead singer of Nightwish
Roy Khan, former lead singer of Kamelot

Roy is badass, I actually prefer Floor Jensen in Nightwish to Tarja (she's still awesome)

I'm going Dickinson and probably Dio I guess. I think Corey Taylor is the most versatile though, he can do nearly anything. Though Mike Patton is even more versatile and he could do any metal singing as well as all the other shit he does.
Taylor is underrated, just because he has an extremely unique voice and nobody can copy it. You can have tons of guys who sound like Dickinson and Dio knockoffs, the 70s and 80s were filled with them. But Corey has one of those unique voices that hasn't been replicated.

To go from screaming "people equals shit" to doing acoustic covers of Sponge Bob Square Pants shows either versatility/maturity, or whatever, depending on your perspective. I think he's a gem.

Tomas Lindberg

This right here gives me the feelz. Homie's vocals definitely have conviction.

Mike Patton

When did Mike do Metal?

The love for Danzig in this thread pleases me.

I'd have to go with him and Kyle Thomas, mostly from his Alabama Thunderpussy stuff.

Danzig attracted Rick Rubin. That's kinda the ultimate stamp of approval right there. As for Kyle and AT, this song is undeniable!!

Only 2???

Can't decide between Dickenson, Halford, Dio or Geoff Tate (all in their primes of course)

Halford is a can. Unless you wanna blame production.

I had Dickinson and Ozzy as the two most iconic HM singers. If you are focusing on just singing, I'd have to give if to Geoff Tate and Corey Taylor. Operation Mindcrime is by far and away the most underrated metal album ever. It was just totally different than anything out there. It took me a few times listening to it to appreciate it

This right here gives me the feelz.

When did Mike do Metal?

While Faith No More can be a little more on the Hard Rock side they still have some heavy songs. They also covered War Pigs. I would consider a couple of his other bands (Dilinger Escape Plan and Mr. Bungle) metal though

While Faith No More can be a little more on the Hard Rock side they still have some heavy songs. They also covered War Pigs. I would consider a couple of his other bands (Dilinger Escape Plan and Mr. Bungle) metal though

Thanks. Never heard anything by FNM or Mr. Bungle that I'd remotely call Metal. Always would have said Bungle was more rooted in Jazz. Dillinger he was never "in". Just guest vocals on one EP. While most Metal of the three, DEP is hardly a Metal band. But hey, everyone's got their opinions on classifications. To me though Patton would not qualify for the Metal category.

When Dillinger was first starting to blow up they got a tour opening for Mr. Bungle. The whole thing was a clusterfuck with the venue at the show in Denver and most people weren't even in the door during Dillinger's set. I walked in right as people were coming into the lobby from the theater and saying how amazing the band was. Fuck I was bummed. But Bungle was entertaining so all was not lost. I guess Patton always had a soft spot for the band. Took a kid with me I worked with who'd never been to a concert. He loved it. Sure wish he could have seen Dillinger too.

Jonas Renske from Katatonia could read a phonebook and it would be amazing.

A prime James Hetfield (87' garage days, transition between mop and ajfa. The small hours is a good example of my favorite Hetfield. Sounds great on Sanitarium too.

Ozzy Osbourne (especially Sabbath years).

Back