Who bet over $1,000 on Mayweather?

kaz1983

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Why am I writing this?

-- well there are lots of concrete opinions on here? ..... surely some put their money where their mouth is?

I just got married last week and my father didn't give us a wedding present or even card, kinda annoying haha ... but yea he told me that I don' value money because I choose to put 5,000 ... now maybe it's because I got caught up in he hype? .. we talked talked and he feels that way .. he told me that people put money on the stock market thinking that sh%t is a certainty , then proceed to loose all their money.. AND the fact that one lucky punch could end the fight and it may not happen but their a 20 percent chance of it happening.........

Why am I so defensive on this? Anybody else profit off this fight? >

ohhhhhh......
sovtc

best free image hosting

Was I careless/stupid doing what I did?

I’m going to be honest.

I was very close to dropping an even larger amount on Mayweather myself tko’ing him. In a real boxing match, I knew the conclusion was a given. I’ve watched boxing for years and literally knew there was no risk happening and that they were offering free money. The chance of McGregor landing a lucky punch was only a fraction of 1%. If it wasn’t, another fighter would’ve connected with it on Mayweather over the last 20 years.

What turned me off was the circus atmosphere. I felt there was a real danger of a fix, Mayweather getting completely bored and offering free shots, etc. It wasn’t a real prizefight, it was a sideshow. So I didn’t touch it. I bet nothing.

What did wind up happening, is Mayweather didn’t train a full camp and didn’t spar. He also fought like a powerpuncher, threw only single shots and waded in flat footed to make it entertaining. It was fortunately still a mismatch, but I accurately predicted Mayweather was not going to fight in full form. In hindsight, I’m glad I was wise enough not to touch it.

To answer your question though, pretty much everything you invest money in is gambling. There are some investments that are greater risks than others. Betting by the seat of your pants on pure impulse is pretty stupid though and why people addicted to betting lose it all.

With that said, I congratulate you on your win. Nicely done. As long as you have some financial breathing room and no children to support, there’s nothing wrong with dropping some money on a prizefight for fun. I don’t think it’s really a safe form of investing, but nothing wrong with making it more exciting.

I’m going to be honest.

I was very close to dropping close to dropping an even larger amount on Mayweather myself tko’ing him. In a real boxing match, I knew the conclusion was a given. I’ve watched boxing for years and literally knew there was no risk happening and that they were offering free money. The chance of McGregor landing a lucky punch was only a fraction of 1%. If it wasn’t, another fighter would’ve connected with it on Mayweather over the last 20 years.

What turned me off was the circus atmosphere. I felt there was a real danger of a fix, Mayweather getting completely bored and offering free shots, etc. It wasn’t a real prizefight, it was a sideshow. So I didn’t touch it. I bet nothing.

What did wind up happening, is Mayweather didn’t train a full camp and didn’t spar. He also fought like a powerpuncher, threw only single shots and waded in flat footed to make it entertaining. It was fortunately still a mismatch, but I accurately predicted Mayweather was not going to fight in full form. In hindsight, I’m glad I was wise enough not to touch it.

To answer your question though, pretty much everything you invest money in is gambling. There are some investments that are greater risks than others. Betting by the seat of your pants on pure impulse is pretty stupid though and why people addicted to betting lose it all.

With that said, I congratulate you on your win. Nicely done. As long as you have some financial breathing room and no children to support, there’s nothing wrong with dropping some money on a prizefight for fun. I don’t think it’s really a safe form of investing, but nothing wrong with making it more exciting.
I also felt it seemed fishy.
Ive also only bet good money on Shogun-Machida 1 and Gus-Jones. Both on the underdogs. I will not bet again. The heart cannot take another one.

Why am I writing this?

-- well there are lots of concrete opinions on here? ..... surely some put their money where their mouth is?

I just got married last week and my father didn't give us a wedding present or even card, kinda annoying haha ... but yea he told me that I don' value money because I choose to put 5,000 ... now maybe it's because I got caught up in he hype? .. we talked talked and he feels that way .. he told me that people put money on the stock market thinking that sh%t is a certainty , then proceed to loose all their money.. AND the fact that one lucky punch could end the fight and it may not happen but their a 20 percent chance of it happening.........

Why am I so defensive on this? Anybody else profit off this fight? >

ohhhhhh......
sovtc

best free image hosting

Was I careless/stupid doing what I did?

I won $7,500 on that fight.

Also, I tried to bet some people here on Sherdog $100 on the fight but no one put their money where their Conor loving mouth is.

Last edited:
Nice one.

I won a few $20 bets at the pub.

Most of my friends know Conor is extremely overrated.

Whether you were careless or stupid doesn't depend on the dollar amount you bet, but the amount relative to your financial resources. And if you didn't already understand that, your bet was careless and stupid. And it's also too little money for a solid brag. All around I'd say this thread is just a disaster. Congratulations on winning four hundred and forty dollars though.

Depends how much 5000 dollars is to u. If its all u got then it was stupid, if u are well off then whatever. We all gonna be dead within 80 years anyway so smoke em if u got em

Whether you were careless or stupid doesn't depend on the dollar amount you bet, but the amount relative to your financial resources. And if you didn't already understand that, your bet was careless and stupid. And it's also too little money for a solid brag. All around I'd say this thread is just a disaster. Congratulations on winning four hundred and forty dollars though.

Your right, looking back on it I got caught up in the pre-fight hype and that was the issue for me, you know when you ''feel'' like you must take a side either way and couple that with the fact Mc Gregor's chance of winning was very, very, very slim to none -plus he's a dickhead- and the idea of profitting of Mc Gregor fans betting stupid money on him -- it was a perfect storm but in the end thing may have turned differently ............................... that said (thankfully) Mayweather won with ease, so did I and wish I of bet more -considering the way things panned out.

EDIT; oh I own my house, as of now got no debts and was paying for my wedding at the same time as the bet....... actually the winnings payed for the strippers at my bucks party and IF Mayweather was to lose that was the plan just charge people 300 to my bucks party and anyways of the 15 guys many where Mc Gregor fans so even more funnier had that of happened hahahaha

Last edited:
Back