Who cares about winning championship belts

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A friend of mine and I were talking about pro wrestling. He mentioned that if was a wrestler, he wouldn't give a damn about winning a championship belt. He just wanted to be paid. Furthermore, he mentioned wrestler New Jack saying he didn't give a damn about a championship(s). He just wanted his money. I heard something similar from Bad news Brown in a shoot interview about not caring about winning belts.

If you look in the past, there were wrestlers who were successful or got over without having a heavyweight championship (Mr. Perfect, Roddy Piper, Paul Orndorff). However, some of those mentioned won the IC belt.

Sherdoggers, give your opinion. Do belts matter?

Every wrestler who's ever mattered has been a champion at one point or another, unless there career was cut short.

So yeah, they matter.

Even if pro-wrestling is a highly physical form of pantomime, it is still telling stories of wrestlers trying to make it to be top of their profession.

Didn’t Nikki Bella or some other bolt-ons with legs say during s promo that “wins and losses don’t matter?”

If you are a champion you are more likely to be featured. Just because those wrestlers you listed didn't win the heavyweight title in the WWE doesn't mean they didn't win titles elsewhere and were a focus because of it. Having a title means the company is putting stock in you.

It is rare that wrestlers get over without having a championship. And yes, you do want to make as much money as possible and it is usually tied to being "the guy."

Hulk-Hogan-WWE-banner-championship-belts-e1474048520729.jpg

if it's not the world title then it doesn't matter

I think some talent get to that level where they are above the titles, but as most said it is a featured/prestigious spot that usually leads to big pay days

If you're winning this title, maybe you don't care so much.

sG1yX2w.png

If you're winning THIS title, I think you care a whole lot.

jNgksLH.jpg

Amazing what a little booking and prestige can do.

I'm sure everyone would care about the Universal Title if winning it meant you got the same contract as Brock.

Why would someone be in ANY combat sport if they didn't care about winning titles?

Why would someone be in ANY combat sport if they didn't care about winning titles?
Like you said, "combat sports" . Boxing, MMA, is understandable. As for wrestling, which no doubt requires tons of physical prowess, is different from actual combat sports.

WWE wasnt the only promotion that mattered in the 80's
Hennig was a legit world champion
Did the AWA title really mean anything by then though? Unless you were wearing the Big Gold or the Hogan 86, I think not.

Like you said, "combat sports" . Boxing, MMA, is understandable. As for wrestling, which no doubt requires tons of physical prowess, is different from actual combat sports.
How so?

Perfect most certainly would've been "world" champ if it was like it's been the past 15 years with 2 "world" titles.

<26>

Back