Who Cares if Michael Joseph Perry Hypothetically Never Becomes a Champ?

We live in a era where belts no longer mean a damn thing. It is all about the money fights now. Rankings are a joke, and the champions refuse to defend their belts.

Platinum Mike Perry has the personality and the fighting style to reach the pinnacle in terms of the money and the popularity. That is all that matters these days. Hate him or love him, you want to see his fights, and therefore deep inside you are a fan. Deny it all you want but we all know the truth.
ufc202_weighin_025.jpg

With the best regards, Platinum Nation OG Platinum.

VFuITwk.jpg

From "future GOAT!!!" to "it's ok if he never wins a belt because I love him anyway" already?!

I knew the platinum train was derailing but wow....

Essentially all of the most popular fighters who fall into the "money fight" category have been champions or on the cusp of a championship. Mike Perry isn't even a top 15 fighter. He's a fun fighter who goes on and bangs. That's good, but there have been plenty of those guys. He's not exactly breaking the mold.

no one. just quit comparing him to greats, and start comparing him to guys like Tank and Takayama.

if this is what you like:

then don't be ashamed of it. but don't pretend like it's something it's not. you're a fan of bloodbath fights, and maybe (but not necessarily) a fan of MMA.

no shame in being a fan of rock-em-sock-em. there is shame in then pretending it's something else. or pretending you're something else.

it sounds like you're finally doing that, TS. if so, congrats, and welcome to the rational world.

Last edited:
Wait a minute!!! He's not the champ!!!?? - WTF!!!! Judging from most of the posts around here I thought for sure he was!!!

I don't think Perry will ever be a solid Top 10 guy. The UFC, for the most part, will probably feed Perry fighters on a level the brass feels he can dominate and knockout. Because, up until this point, any really talented well rounded fighters are just too much for this guy. Maybe he'll improve and find another gear in the future?? - that's a big "MAYBE," however, yes, absolutely a possibility.

Tinfoil Perry fanboys backtracking now and resigning to the fact that Perry will never be a quality fighter. Just a brawler with heavy hands getting fed easy fights.

He will definitely never be champ.

But I will still watch him fight.

This. I dont give a fuck about wins n losses as long as they provide exciting fights

Perry is a modern day, less evolved version of Chris Lytle. And i fuckin loved Lytle

Personally I care, just because I want to see him live his dreams, but yeah I'll always be a fan no matter what. I'm invested at this point, I love the guys personality as well as his stand and bang, head hunter, kill or be killed fighting style but I wouldn't mind seeing him start point fighting in order to win a fight because that's what he will have to do in some of these fights dealing with people who wont actually fight him.

I think knock outs will come regardless, he won't lose that power but he might have to back up and kick some legs every now and then when he is fighting running point fighters

He needs to develop some takedowns. Not to try n be a great grappler. But just to keep his opponents off balance

He needs to develop some takedowns. Not to try n be a great grappler. But just to keep his opponents off balance

I gotta disagree, I think he will do his best work striking and focusing more on keeping it standing.
A lot of guys like to go for take downs when a good striker is putting pressure on them and making them uncomfortable. That's smart but that is also where Mike is most comfortable, if someone is walking close in trading range with Mike Its usually a matter of seconds before Mike knocks the guy out cold.

I would say to focus on take down defense more than anything for the better wrestlers he will eventually run into, but for point fighting strikers he will have to learn the point fighting game of keeping distance, making them come to him and counter striking. If he can manage to frustrate a point fighting striker or wrestler into becoming a brawler he will destroy them.

Last edited:
I gotta disagree, I think he will do his best work striking and focusing more on keeping it standing.
A lot of guys like to go for take downs when a good striker is putting pressure on them and making them uncomfortable. That's smart but that is also where Mike is most comfortable, if someone is walking close in trading range with Mike Its usually a matter of seconds before Mike knocks the guy out cold.

I would say to focus on take down defense more than anything for the better wrestlers he will eventually run into, but for point fighting strikers he will have to learn the point fighting game of keeping distance, making them come to him and counter striking. If he can manage to frustrate a point fighting striker or wrestler into becoming a brawler he will destroy them.

so you think if a guy is point fighting and expecting Mike to counter-strike looking for KO's, that mixing in some TD's and perhaps getting some GnP in wouldn't be good?

Back