Who do you think won these close fights

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Sorta interesting question imo. Was wondering what the forum's consensus was on these close/controversial fights

1. GGG vs Canelo
I had it a draw tbh. 6-6

2. Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Jose Luis Castillo I
7-5 for Castillo. One thing that always stuck out to me here, was it was the only time i ever saw Floyd look legitimately nervous before the scorecards were announced.

3. Manny Pacquiao vs Tim Bradley I
7-5 Pac for me.

4. Winky Wright vs Jermain Taylor
I thought Winky edged it 7-5. Should have won the Middleweight Title.

5. Ray Leonard vs Marvin Hagler
No controversy for me. 8-4 Leonard. Hagler did not look good imo.

6. Erislandy Lara vs Canelo
Thought Canelo won 8-4. Lara did nothing the last half of the fight imo

7. Whitaker vs Chavez
8-4 Whitaker.......Baddd decision

8. Pac vs Marquez III
Everyone complained about this one but I had it 7-5 Pac......

9. ODLH vs Ike Quartey
I remember thinking Ike edged it.....but don't remember the actual scorecard

10. Ken Norton vs Larry Holmes
Just watched this today randomly!!!!
Man. Sucks for Norton but I had him winning 143-142. He would have had wins over Ali AND Holmes... Oh well.

thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorta interesting question imo. Was wondering what the forum's consensus was on these close/controversial fights

1. GGG vs Canelo
I had it a draw tbh. 6-6

7-5 for Castillo. One thing that always stuck out to me here, was it was the only time i ever saw Floyd look legitimately nervous before the scorecards were announced.

7-5 Pac for me.

Thought Canelo won 8-4. Lara did nothing the last half of the fight.

7. Whitaker vs Chavez

8. Pac vs Marquez III

9. ODLH vs Ike Quartey

Man. Sucks for Norton but I had him winning 143-142. He would have had wins over Ali AND Holmes... Oh well.

thoughts?
1. GGG
2. Castillo
3. Pacquiao
4. Taylor
5. Draw
6. Canelo
7. Whitaker
8. Marquez
9. ODLH
10. Holmes

1. GGG vs Canelo
I had it a draw tbh. 6-6

7-5 Pac for me.

7. Whitaker vs Chavez

8. Pac vs Marquez III

9. ODLH vs Ike Quartey

thoughts?
1. Canelo by a round or two. I thought his body work and bursts carried the fight.
2. Draw or Floyd by a round.
3.Draw. Pac blew it, tried to win the fight fighting 30 seconds of each round.
4. Honestly don't recall how I scored this one. I think I might have had t a draw.
5. Leonard. Always score this one pretty much the same. Hagler gave away too many early rounds IMO.
6. Thought Canelo won this one clear. you have to mix in some offense here and there. This fight was an example of a boxer outclassing the aggressor but not doing anything to win.
7. Whitaker but in all honesty, I thought it was more competitive than people say it was.
8. Had it 7-5 Marquez. I remember this one because we argued about it a lot here.
9. Don't remember this one that well either. Seems like I thought DLH won it, especially with the KD.
10. I don't think I ever sat down and scored Norton vs Holmes.

If anyone has any close fights they wanna bring up that I missed in the OP feel free

1. Canelo by a round or two. I thought his body work and bursts carried the fight.
2. Draw or Floyd by a round.
3.Draw. Pac blew it, tried to win the fight fighting 30 seconds of each round.
4. Honestly don't recall how I scored this one. I think I might have had t a draw.
5. Leonard. Always score this one pretty much the same. Hagler gave away too many early rounds IMO.
6. Thought Canelo won this one clear. you have to mix in some offense here and there. This fight was an example of a boxer outclassing the aggressor but not doing anything to win.
7. Whitaker but in all honesty, I thought it was more competitive than people say it was.
8. Had it 7-5 Marquez. I remember this one because we argued about it a lot here.
9. Don't remember this one that well either. Seems like I thought DLH won it, especially with the KD.
10. I don't think I ever sat down and scored Norton vs Holmes.
I thought Hagler blew by starting late too. Ike and Oscar traded KD's and Ike showed a great chin and championship heart but I thought Oscar edged it.

1. Canelo
2. Castillo
3. draw
4. Winky
5. I need to rewatch and score it.
6. Canelo
7. Whitaker
8. Marquez. most one sided of their series.
9. DLH
10. Have not seen the complete fight.

1. GGG vs Canelo
I had it a draw tbh. 6-6

7-5 Pac for me.

7. Whitaker vs Chavez

8. Pac vs Marquez III

9. ODLH vs Ike Quartey

thoughts?

GGG
Draw
Pacman
Winky Wright
Sugar Ray
Lara
Whitaker
Pacman
ODLH
Haven't seen Norton vs Holmes

I thought Marquez gave away too many of the later rounds in that 3rd Pac fight tbh.

What did u think of Kovalev/Ward 1?

I thought Kovalev won the fight clearly, 7-5 or 6-6, with the knockdown being the difference. The fact that Kov was the champion & you have to "beat the champ" made it all the more controversial to me.

I thought Kovalev won the fight clearly, 7-5 or 6-6, with the knockdown being the difference. The fact that Kov was the champion & you have to "beat the champ" made it all the more controversial to me.
I remember on fight night thinking Kov had clearly won. On rewatch it was much closer. Still thought Kov won by a point from that KD

The "you have beat the champ" saying has no validity. The champion gets no special breaks in scoring just because he's the champ. If you take that saying into consideration when scoring you're probably bad at scoring. I'm not trying to attack you btw just pointing out that its a type of bias to go with sayings as scoring criteria. On a related note I hope no one buys into the "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" Crap that mma fans keep pushing, LOL.

1. GGG
2. JLC
3. Pac
4. Wright
5. Leonard
6. Canelo
7. Whitaker
8. Marquez
9. DLH
10. Norton

this is just off of memory though

1. GGG
2. JLC
3. Pac
4. Wright
5. Leonard
6. Canelo
7. Whitaker
8. Marquez
9. DLH
10. Norton

this is just off of memory though

I had them all the same, except for Norton vs Holmes because I have never watched that fight in it's entirety, and I honestly don't remember DLH vs Quartey at all.

I had them all the same, except for Norton vs Holmes because I have never watched that fight in it's entirety, and I honestly don't remember DLH vs Quartey at all.
Yeah, I think my scores are all pretty common. I haven't watched any of them in a while though, so like, my score could change for a lot of them. I thought DLH beat Quartey narrowly and I watched Norton/Holmes once a few years ago, so that doesn't even really count as much more than vague recollection.

If anyone has any close fights they wanna bring up that I missed in the OP feel free
Allright.

Chang/Zapata I
Chang/Chitalada II
Carbajal/Chiquita II
Carbajal/Chiquita III
ANy of the Sahaprom/Nishioka fights
Khan/Peterson

How are people seriously thinking Canelo beat GGG ......... you lot blind?

Canelo only fought for 15 seconds at the end of each round apart from the time they were forehead to forehead, other than that he was just getting chased down.

GGG got robbed, you can't fight for 15 secs at the end of the round trying to con the judges and expect to win, let alone you lot thinking he won!

Allright.

Chang/Zapata I
Chang/Chitalada II
Carbajal/Chiquita II
Carbajal/Chiquita III
ANy of the Sahaprom/Nishioka fights
Khan/Peterson
Tbh only ones i have seen are

Chang-zapata which i had for zapata

And Khan-Peterson ( good one)

Which I had for Khan close

I just watched it again and it's a good fight. Watching made me think it's too bad Floyd wasn't a WW in '99 to be in the mix against DLH, Quartey, and Trinidad. Also too bad Mitch Halpern ended his life when he seemed to be on his way to a HOF career.

I thought Hagler blew by starting late too. Ike and Oscar traded KD's and Ike showed a great chin and championship heart but I thought Oscar edged it.
Ike went down twice. That was the difference.

Back