Who Has a A G Shock

They cam out with a G Shock Steel and made the shit even more undescuctable.

http://www.gshock.com/watches/g-steel/gstb100d-1a

gstb100d-1a-g-shock-g-steel-smartphone-link-tough-solar-watch-gst-b100d-1a-g-shock-watches-nz-650x650.jpg

it looks pretty beastly. G shock are great daily time pieces.

Swatch watch by arm bar, my dood !!
sa02_suob137_Web_grande.jpg

<{1-1}> .

For me the cool thing about a watch is the journey you take with it, the times it reminds you of, the shit you take it thru. As long as it lasts thru those journeys it's good enough for me.
Yeah man I feel the same.

I had an old suunto that I had to retire. It had been with me to mexico, Hawaii, Bermuda. I was wearing it when my daughter was born. Thing is. A digital isn’t much of an heirloom Watch.

I want to get either a 007 or a 009 and make it my heirloom watch.

I’d also like to buy a watch to hand down to each of my three kids.

Yeah man I feel the same.

I had an old suunto that I had to retire. It had been with me to mexico, Hawaii, Bermuda. I was wearing it when my daughter was born. Thing is. A digital isn’t much of an heirloom Watch.

I want to get either a 007 or a 009 and make it my heirloom watch.

I’d also like to buy a watch to hand down to each of my three kids.
Yea, that's sort of the whole thing - As long as it can be serviced it should last as long as parts are available for it.

A few years ago I had the money put away and decided I was going to get a submariner. It had taken me a couple of years to save up the money for it but I had it. This wasn’t from any emergency savings or retirement accounts. It was literally cash I had put away specifically to blow on a watch. I went to an authorize dealer here with my wife, tried it on, was reaching for my wallet. But I just couldn’t fucking do it.

I have bad buyers remorse anyways. So dropping thousands of dollars on a Rolex probably would have killed me.
I have a "bonus savings account", from when I was like 16, when I got my first job, which is separate from my TFSA and RRSP. I dip into it and eventually replace it when I absolutely need to (like when I first left Ontario and had to front my moving bill), but I also regularly pad it for no real reason at all. I could sacrifice it, but I could also see my watch collection ending up like my knife collection, which recently became complicated because of work shit. I'll PM you with details if you want.

I have a "bonus savings account", from when I was like 16, when I got my first job, which is separate from my TFSA and RRSP. I dip into it and eventually replace it when I absolutely need to (like when I first left Ontario and had to front my moving bill), but I also regularly pad it for no real reason at all. I could sacrifice it, but I could also see my watch collection ending up like my knife collection, which recently became complicated because of work shit. I'll PM you with details if you want.
Pm me.

Yea, that's sort of the whole thing - As long as it can be serviced it should last as long as parts are available for it.
Fuck that was the other point I wanted to make.

A lot of people don’t take into account the cost to service high end mechanicals. A friend at work bought a vintage Monaco last year. He was bitching to me this past December about how much heuer wanted to charge him to service it.

Hence why I gravitated towards a Rolex and not a goofy, much less common, yet buttery smooth Grand Seiko spring drive movement.

Maybe I do eventually get it, but I can't justify it now.

I have a G-shock and its been going strong for about 4 years now and I've worn that fucker at PT, the gym, in the ocean, in the desert. It does come off when I wear a dress shirt though.

My nice watch is a Tag and I would love to get a Rolex one day. Maybe when my TSP reaches half a million or I retire from the Navy.

Last edited:
I don't understand the point of a watch. If I want to know the time I check my phone.

I don't understand the point of a watch. If I want to know the time I check my phone.
How do you check the time on your phone if the battery runs out from playing too much Candy Crush?

How do you check the time on your phone if the battery runs out from playing too much Candy Crush?
I always keep it charged, don't play candy crush.

This is an interesting point though. I may someday pick up a gshock if I am in a situation where I can't charge my phone. This hasn't come ever come up yet but maybe someday I'll go camp in the boonies.

Last edited:
A few years ago I had a titanium seiko my dad gave me but I sold it. It was bulky and uncomfortable. I don't hold sentimental value for inanimate objects.

We can’t take our phones into meetings and most of the board rooms at the office don’t have clocks.

There are also quite a few times I leave the phone behind. Like if I’m out with the kids I usually leave it in the car.

I always keep it charged, don't play candy crush.
In all seriousness, despite the smart phone trying to be the "singular essential, do everything device", I don't think it does a great job at doing that, simply because it does too many things and has that addictive quality (ironically, I'm tyoung this message on my currently charging phone).

I like redundancy, I like not being tied to my phone and being shit out of luck when it doesn't work. I like how my watch doesn't need to be charged every night or how it looks unprofessional when I use it for a time reference, in my notes at work. Like @FacePunch said, I like associating my watches with experiences and stories. Phones depreciate and are disposable; your future grandkids won't be fighting over who inherits your iPhone X.

We can’t take our phones into meetings and most of the board rooms at the office don’t have clocks.

There are also quite a few times I leave the phone behind. Like if I’m out with the kids I usually leave it in the car.
I always have my phone, though I recently talked to a girl who just purchased an apple watch since she can't check her phone at work. It looked pretty cool, like a phone on your wrist.

In all seriousness, despite the smart phone trying to be the "singular essential, do everything device", I don't think it does a great job at doing that, simply because it does too many things and has that addictive quality (ironically, I'm tyoung this message on my currently charging phone).

I like redundancy, I like not being tied to my phone and being shit out of luck when it doesn't work. I like how my watch doesn't need to be charged every night or how it looks unprofessional when I use it for a time reference, in my notes at work. Like @FacePunch said, I like associating my watches with experiences and stories. Phones depreciate and are disposable; your future grandkids won't be fighting over who inherits your iPhone X.
Fair points, something like a gshock would be good to have as a back up. I can't imagine spending hundreds or thousands on a watch. Ya, I know I sound poor.

Fair points, something like a gshock would be good to have as a back up. I can't imagine spending hundreds or thousands on a watch. Ya, I know I sound poor.
No you don’t. You sound reasonable to me.

We're actually not supposed to have our phones at work. Our local management doesn't give a shit, for now, but we also try not to give him a reason to give a shit and drop an even bigger, babysitting, knee-jerk hammer in the future.

I actally embraced the idea and saw it as a way to break the "phone addiction" that so many people have today.

I do like gshocks because I can never remember to take off or put on watches, so once I have it on, it's on for a while. I showered with my gshock on. The band would only last 6 months vevsusr of it, but I'd just fork out the the 30 bucks for another one.

We're actually not supposed to have our phones at work. Our local management doesn't give a shit, for now, but we also try not to give him a reason to give a shit and drop an even bigger, babysitting, knee-jerk hammer in the future.

I actally embraced the idea and saw it as a way to break the "phone addiction" that so many people have today.
Since the twins were born I’ve made a point of distancing myself from the phone more often, especially when I’m with the family. There was a time when I was just on it way too much. Constantly checking it, texting people etc.

Another time when I absolutely have to have a watch is when I’m traveling. I don’t like taking my phone to the beach.

Back