Who Has a A G Shock

Fair points, something like a gshock would be good to have as a back up. I can't imagine spending hundreds or thousands on a watch. Ya, I know I sound poor.
Dude, look at my previous posts in this thread. Despite all this Rolex talk, I'm still very much a G Shock fan; it's the watch that got me back into watches.

Prior to my 5600, which I bought like 5 years ago, I hadn't owned a watch since high school. I didn't have much luck with watches (my age and lack of maturity no doubt had a factor). Even when I managed to not fuck things up, like when the battery on my quartz Timex died, when I had it replaced, it never worked the same. So I didn't own a watch for like a decade.

When I worked in the private sector, pulling out a phone, while I had a notebook in one hand and a pen in the other, to record a time index in my notes was not only more of a pain-in-the-ass than checking something on my wrist, it was frowned upon. So I bought a watch and it was at the time, a $150 G Shock which had a solar quartz movement, atomic timekeeping, backlight, different time zones, 200m water resistance a bunch of other features which I never use. While I don't wear that watch much anymore, because I have a Rangeman that hogs wrist-time, I'll also never get rid of it as it has sentimental value; because it's the watch that got me back into watches.

Dude, look at my previous posts in this thread. Prior to all this Rolex talk, I'm still very much a G Shock fan; it's the watch that got me back into watches.

Prior to my 5600, which I bought like 5 years ago, I hadn't owned a watch since high school. I didn't have much luck with watches (my age and lack of maturity no doubt had a factor). Even when I managed to not fuck things up, like when the battery on my quartz Timex died, when I had it replaced, it never worked the same. So I didn't own a watch for like a decade.

When I worked in the private sector, pulling out a phone, while I had a notebook in one hand and a pen in the other, to record a time index in my notes was not only more of a pain-in-the-ass than checking something on my wrist, it was frowned upon. So I bought a watch and it was at the time, a $150 G Shock which had a solar quartz movement, atomic timekeeping, backlight, different time zones and a bunch of other features which I never use. While I don't wear that watch much anymore, because I have a Rangeman that hogs wrist-time, I'll also never get rid of it as it has sentimental value; because it's the watch that got me back into watches.
What's the difference between a $50 and $150 gshock? Is it worth it to spend the extra coin? I prefer a digital face.

What's the difference between a $50 and $150 gshock? Is it worth it to spend the extra coin? I prefer a digital face.
When you spend hundreds, rather than tens on a G Shock, you generally start getting features like solar charging (called, "Tough Solar" by Casio) and atomic timekeeping (Multi Band 6), meaning it charges with sunlight and stays accurate because it syncs nightly, via radio frequency, with an atomic clock in Ft. Collins, CO. Translation: it's very, very, very low maintenance. If you don't want to fuss over it much, I'd look at models with those features, if I were you.

Rolex-Sea-Dweller-43mm-126600-Baselworld-2017-Review-1.jpg

rolex-explorer-ii-03-1.jpg

Honest question.. What do you get from wearing expensive watches? I have friends that more or less have to have them because of the industry they work in, but unless it's for a reason like that, I don't get it.

Maybe if I was single and wanted to impress gold diggers?

I have a G-shock but I like it like it is - cheap indestructable watch. Wouldn't spend $400 on a G-shock.

I don't usually wear a watch, phone has the time on it, but I got this a few months ago.
BN0191-80L.jpg

funny, I don't do much "diving" either, unless you count muff diving of course.

I have 5 ga110's that I wear for work and a nice g steel with a resin band that I wear when we go out. Good looking watch that serves a purpose. Fairly cheap. If I could afford a Rolex I would have many. Beautiful watches.

Honest question.. What do you get from wearing expensive watches? I have friends that more or less have to have them because of the industry they work in, but unless it's for a reason like that, I don't get it.

Maybe if I was single and wanted to impress gold diggers?
I just like wearing a watch, and Rolex genuinely are better watches than the cheaper stuff. They really will last your lifetime. I like the idea of something that has been with me my entire life and will outlive me as an heirloom. They have the best looking, most classic designs and if I was to buy another cheaper watch the styles that I like are basically Rolex copies. They did it first.

My grandpa was a wealthy, successful dude who had a big impact on me and my ambition in life and I think of it as a connection to him as well. It's just a watch - but time is all we have.

It can also be a legitimate "investment", if you buy well.

As far as gold diggers.. No one really notices. The only people who comment or recognize the watches tend to be other watch guys.

I do like gshocks because I can never remember to take off or put on watches, so once I have it on, it's on for a while. I showered with my gshock on. The band would only last 6 months vevsusr of it, but I'd just fork out the the 30 bucks for another one.
Bro, get you a NATO strap.

gshock_nato_banner_2048x2048.jpg

I just like wearing a watch, and Rolex genuinely are better watches than the cheaper stuff. They really will last your lifetime. I like the idea of something that has been with me my entire life and will outlive me as an heirloom. They have the best looking, most classic designs and if I was to buy another cheaper watch the styles that I like are basically Rolex copies. They did it first.

My grandpa was a wealthy, successful dude who had a big impact on me and my ambition in life and I think of it as a connection to him as well. It's just a watch - but time is all we have.

It can also be a legitimate "investment", if you buy well.

As far as gold diggers.. No one really notices. The only people who comment or recognize the watches tend to be other watch guys.

<mma4>

Good answer. Makes sense. I was expecting a quick "you sound poor" post, so thanks for the insight.

They're great for the gym, hiking, travelling etc.

No way I'm taking my Rolex or any other high end watch while travelling to a foreign country or some shit.

I've got one in rescue red.

This one.
Bro, nobody wants to steal your knock off China-town Rolex.

<mma4>

Good answer. Makes sense. I was expecting a quick "you sound poor" post, so thanks for the insight.
Lol. For sure.

And, as I said a few posts ago - Now that I've had these watches and experienced owning them, I really could just take it or leave it. I'm a watch guy, I like gadgets, and I'd probably always wear a watch - It's much more convenient than relying on a phone for time, but I could be pretty much be just as happy with a $200 watch.

I have a "bonus savings account", from when I was like 16, when I got my first job, which is separate from my TFSA and RRSP. I dip into it and eventually replace it when I absolutely need to (like when I first left Ontario and had to front my moving bill), but I also regularly pad it for no real reason at all. I could sacrifice it, but I could also see my watch collection ending up like my knife collection, which recently became complicated because of work shit. I'll PM you with details if you want.
LOL, so I have the watch discussion with a co-worker (who is married), looking for a sober second thought and I talk about wanting to tie it to a milestone of some sort. She essentially tells me that the "milestone" could that it's the last remnant of the freedom of my youth and that after I've traded my Camaro in for a minivan, I'll be driving down the road with 12 screaming kids, looking at my watch and reminiscing about my freedom.

As stupid as your War Room posts are I appluaud your choice in timepieces. I love the new Sea-Dweller. I’ll post my collection sometime soon(Submariner, Yachtmaster, 1968 speedmaster, couple others).

I love the Explorer 2. I’m thinking of adding a white face this year and that is possibility. Also maybe thinking of the Grand Seiko snowflake.

Don’t bash G Shock though. They are legit nice watches. I still wear mine.

I have two g-shocks. One I wear while fishing(has tide computer on it) and another I wear daily.

I have all kinds of other watches, several rolex’s , my g-shock gets the most compliments. Always found that weird.

My Rolex Daytona is my favorite though. Need to wear it more

I don't usually wear a watch, phone has the time on it, but I got this a few months ago.
BN0191-80L.jpg

funny, I don't do much "diving" either, unless you count muff diving of course.

How far can you stick your fist up there before it affects the function?

Casio should broaden their product line by making women's sex toys. They could call them G-Shock as well.

Back