Who has better BJJ? Nate Diaz or Ferguson?

Tony adapted his Jiu-Jitsu better into the octagon and into his skillset, imo.
But Nate would probably beat him in a BJJ competition match.

If they were to fight mma I'd consider Tony a little better on the ground as he mixes it in with his striking better than Nate, IMHO. I like both fighters a lot, however. If it was a BJJ match I think Nate might have the edge

pure BJJ probably nate, but tony is less lazy on the ground and is willing to take more risks, better scrambler, faster, etc etc.

ironically the exact opposite is true

Nate has some of the most lopsided losses among "top fighters" on the roster. Quantitatively (11 defeats) and qualitatively (one-sided beatdowns) he has demonstrated that he is a gatekeeper at best. His inactivity has clouded this obvious fact.

BJJ ≠ Submission grappling

I think that's the main takeaway. While his TDs aren't that great, Tony also has college level wrestling which enhances his BJJ/scrambles for MMA. When you combine it with his whole game and pace, he's probably more dangerous and effective, even if Nate is better at pure BJJ.

Pettis is another fighter who isn't nearly as credentialed as Nate, but is just as dangerous (if not more) when it comes to subs in MMA due to how fast and unorthodox he is. Nate had nothing for prime Bendo on the ground, but Pettis did.

Nates got the second most subs in UFC history.

He also has 23 UFC fights, which is a lot more than Tony and more than almost anyone else in the UFC. Many of his sub wins came against lesser opponents a long time ago. How about this stat?
Submissions since 2012:
Tony: 6
Nate: 1

This is such a stupid thread guys, what are you doing?

You have no legitimate way to quantify this. This is beyond idiotic.

Nate Diaz would get blown out of the water so bad in this current LW division. Just because he successfully employed the Homer Simpson approach against Conor one and a half times doesn't mean he's that good.

Gaethje would kick his legs off. Khabib would ragdoll him. Lee would ragdoll him. Barboza would chop him down. Ferguson would slice him up and outclass him. Poirier would have really kicked his ass as well.

I can't wait until people get their reality check about where Nate actually stands. Dude has gotten unbelievably annoying for a gatekeeper with 11 losses.

He also has 23 UFC fights, which is a lot more than Tony and more than almost anyone else in the UFC. Many of his sub wins came against lesser opponents a long time ago. How about this stat?
Submissions since 2012:
Tony: 6
Nate: 1

Don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Nate Diaz would get blown out of the water so bad in this current LW division. Just because he successfully employed the Homer Simpson approach against Conor one and a half times doesn't mean he's that good.

Gaethje would kick his legs off. Khabib would ragdoll him. Lee would ragdoll him. Barboza would chop him down. Ferguson would slice him up and outclass him. Poirier would have really kicked his ass as well.

I can't wait until people get their reality check about where Nate actually stands. Dude has gotten unbelievably annoying for a gatekeeper with 11 losses.
Did you even read the thread title? Lol nice off topic rant tho

Did you even read the thread title? Lol nice off topic rant tho

It is relevant to the thread title. Nate hasn't demonstrated anything in the last 6 years to indicate that he has better BJJ than Tony Ferguson who tapped Kevin Lee from his back a year ago. The reason why this is even a conversation is because Nate is wildly overrated. Dude got swept and put on his back by Conor McGregor. He's consistently shown that he is easy to control positionally by well-rounded fighters. RDA and Benson played with him like a child.

Tony adapted his Jiu-Jitsu better into the octagon and into his skillset, imo.
But Nate would probably beat him in a BJJ competition match.

This, Nate has the better pure BJJ but he's susceptible to L'n'P in the cage. I don't think it ever happened to Ferguson.

Don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Someone said Nate has more finishes than any other UFC fighter. I didn't fact check it but I'll assume it's true. My point is that Nate also has a lot more UFC fights than most guys (including Tony), and has had very few submissions in recent years. I think Tony's ground/submission game is more relevant and effective for current MMA...even if Nate has "better BJJ" on paper.

Last edited:
It is relevant to the thread title. Nate hasn't demonstrated anything in the last 6 years to indicate that he has better BJJ than Tony Ferguson who tapped Kevin Lee from his back a year ago. The reason why this is even a conversation is because Nate is wildly overrated. Dude got swept and put on his back by Conor McGregor. He's consistently shown that he is easy to control positionally by well-rounded fighters. RDA and Benson played with him like a child.
Again:

BJJ ≠ Submission grappling ≠ MMA grappling.

Roger is the goat BJJ grappler. Look at his MMA career. Also, RDA and Bendo are legit BJJ gi grapplers as well.

This, Nate has the better pure BJJ but he's susceptible to L'n'P in the cage. I don't think it ever happened to Ferguson.

Yeah, I think Tony would submit Clay Guida...including the younger version who beat Nate. Guys like Florian and Huerta submitted Guida back then...Nate's wrestling was just too weak so he got LnP'd.

Again:

BJJ ≠ Submission grappling ≠ MMA grappling.

Roger is the goat BJJ grappler. Look at his MMA career. Also, RDA and Bendo are legit BJJ gi grapplers as well.

Pointless conversation then. Ferguson is better where it counts. Who gives a shit about who would do better in a gi.

Pointless conversation then. Ferguson is better where it counts. Who gives a shit about who would do better in a gi.
Then get the fuck out off a thread that's asking who has better brazilian jiu jitsu, you fucking idiot.

Nate's been training BJJ for like 15 years longer than Tony has. If Nate wasn't a lazy stoner he'd be running his own gym.

Back