Who introduced wrestling to BJJ?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
For example, Sambo is supposed to be a mixture of Judo and wrestling.

BJJ originated from Judo and then the rest is history.

I came across Helio Gracie teaching some self defense and he literally to me look3d and moved like a Judo guy and its not surprising since thats what he and his brother was taught

If you look at BJJ now its a lot more close to wrestling then Judo even in Gi Id say. Question is

Who turned BJJ into wrestling oriented martial arts? OF COURSE there is leg takedowns and similarities between Judo and wrestling but it seems it has a lot more proximity to wrestling than Judo

i think it was due to mma influence bjj up till around 2010 the ultimate goal was to use it in full combat then de la riva guards berinbolos kiss of dragon stuff came out and bjj started to change and got away from its fighting aspect

since bjj use to be a fighting art they obviously adapted single and double legs from wrestling seeing the wrestlers using them with success like any art that evolves people see something that works then try to add it in leg locks for example were frown upon in certain gyms sambo guys were known to have the best leg attacks but now bjj guys do

It started when rolls Gracie invited a wrestling American coach to train with him.

but a
It started when rolls Gracie invited a wrestling American coach to train with him.
lot of gracies didnt use it relson hellios second son hates wrestling single or doubles rolls studied wrestling himself but not all

but a

lot of gracies didnt use it relson hellios second son hates wrestling single or doubles rolls studied wrestling himself but not all

Oh I was just quoting when wrestling coaching was formally introduced to rolls Gracie when he invited a stranded wrestling coach in Rio. I think it was the time that rolls got the Gracie to compete in wrestling.

But I am keen to read on relson Gracie. What is the curriculum for throws?

I'd guess the largest influence has been the joining of BJJ, via MMA, with US wrestling culture.

he only does basic hip throws and a few modded throws for self defense he likes body locks mostly if u watch the old gracie challenge vs karate guys how he fought i that is the style he tries to teach

From what I have read, Rolls Gracie (and maybe Rockson) where not only huge proponents of cross training but also participated in the formation of the Brazilian National Wrestling Federation and their national FS and GR teams.

Then there's Pedro Gama Filho, an early GJJ blackbelt who's family founded Universidade Gama Filho, in Brazil. This institution was largely responsible for Bjj, judo, and wrestling having many opportunities to cross paths.

Obviously the formation of MMA type events was huge. When the early wrestlers did well against BJJ guys many Brazilians knew wrestling was to be taken seriously.

Some time later, after Brazilian Top Team was running strong, American wrestler Darrel Gholar relocated to Brazil to work with BTT on takedowns. His influence was huge.

Another important point would be the mass migration of BJJ'ers to the USA. When the Gracies came to California many AMerican wrestlers and martial artists were then exposed to a whole new art.

When it comes to influence, it's probably at the stage (and has been for years) where it could legitimately be called American Jiujitsu (or ex-pat Brazilian jiu-jitsu).

The thing that interests me is: what does the standup look like in Japan and other countries with a strong judo culture? Does the bjj meta change at all?

The thing that interests me is: what does the standup look like in Japan and other countries with a strong judo culture? Does the bjj meta change at all?

Well, Judo is massive in Brazil...

Well, Judo is massive in Brazil...

But is it massive in Brazilian jiu-jitsu schools in Brazil? You would think the answer would be yes but I had one of my judo students go to Brazil 3 years ago and he was unable to find a single place to train judo (outside of Medhi's, who gave him shit for doing bjj also).

IOW, I'm not sure it necessarily fits the same pipeline as bjj does in Japan; I think the two arts tend to keep to themselves in Brazil (though obv. with some cross trainers)

You also have to really point to guys like Babalu Sobral, Daniel Malvino, Cyborg Abreau, and Antoine Jaoude who gave it a good go wrestling on the world stage. Brazilian wrestling is pretty weak on the world stage but these guys really gave it a good shot and competed for a while. They are all also high level bjj'ers to varying degrees.

I think amateur wrestling is more present in Japan's sub grappling culture than judo is. Just look at the huge combat wrestling scene over there in the past and how most of Japan's top grapplers spent more time on that then they did Bjj, especially at first. Although judo is obviously huge in Japan, and I believe Japanese juokas tend to be competent at lower body takedowns, if you look at the prominent grapplers from JMMA and combat wrestling, there wasn't/isn't a ton of BJJers in there. And if there are fighters that claim/train bjj, it came into the fold for them after having already done combat wrestling/catch/shooto for years. Olympic style wrestling, especially freestyle, is also huge in Japan and probably not as traditionally revered and/or separate from influence and innovation as judo.

Although judo is obviously huge in Japan, and I believe Japanese juokas tend to be competent at lower body takedowns, if you look at the prominent grapplers from JMMA and combat wrestling, there wasn't/isn't a ton of BJJers in there.

Looking at the Japanese competitors in BJJ they tend to play a modern open guard focused BJJ style.
I don't see them doing any judo, most of them are too small to fight in divisions where people do throws.

I walked off a wrestling match post college and onto a Bjj mat. Was it me?

Back