Who is the most famous "muay thai" fighter ever?

I see what you're doing there, but I still gotta say Buakaw. Those MMA guys have that "Muay Thai background" stigma but at the end of the day they are still looked at as "MMA".

I see what you're doing there, but I still gotta say Buakaw. Those MMA guys have that "Muay Thai background" stigma but at the end of the day they are still looked at as "MMA".
Buakaw and Saenchai only have the distinction of being the most famous 'thai' muay thai fighters ever.

Buakaw and Saenchai only have the distinction of being the most famous 'thai' muay thai fighters ever.
But you are attributing "Muay Thai Fighter" to a bunch of Chute Boxe guys and I'm arguing that they are looked at as MMA guys with MT styles. I still stand by Buakaw period, not just for Thais...

Buakaw at the moment until Yodwicha goes into mma

MMA isn't very popular outside of the Anglosphere and Brazil.

Buakaw for most of the world.

Tony Jaa from Ong Bak for most Americans.

I'd actually say Buakaw is more popular then those names listed.

MMA isn't very popular outside of the Anglosphere and Brazil.

The UFC can go to plenty of countries and sell out an area quickly even with a shitty fight night card. Even KSW recently did an event and had 57k people attend.

MMA is popular, but just the notion of Yodwicha fighting in MMA eclipsing Buakaw in popularity is laughable. Only chance is if he made it to the UFC (which he wont). Yodwhicha is a great fighter with poor marketability.

MMA is popular, but just the notion of Yodwicha fighting in MMA eclipsing Buakaw in popularity is laughable. Only chance is if he made it to the UFC (which he wont). Yodwhicha is a great fighter with poor marketability.

Well I assumed/hoped jay was being facetious. That said there are a few journeyman/mid tier mma fighters that have gained a large following simply by being the only successful fighter from that country. Alessio Sakara is really well known in Italy (according to oyvindt i think), more so than Petrosyan and he couldn't cut it in the ufc. Aung La Nsang who fights in One Fc has 700k facebook followers for instance.

In the standing (MUAYTHAI) fight Saenchai and Buakaw Banchamek in the wold.
In the MMA Anderson Silva, Cosmo Alexandre, Wanderlei Silva, Rob Kaman, Alexandre Breck, John Wayne Parr, Andre Dida

But you are attributing "Muay Thai Fighter" to a bunch of Chute Boxe guys and I'm arguing that they are looked at as MMA guys with MT styles.
Wouldn't the latter naturally imply the former, in the mind of the average combat sports consumer?

I've never heard any GSP style qualification to the effect that: "Anderson is one of the best Muay Thai fighters in MMA even though he never fought in Lumpinee". They just say "Anderson has world class muay thai" like they say "Cormier has world class wrestling" or "Maia has world class BJJ".

Saenchai.

It turns the world champions into amateur.

The guy is above Master level.

Back