Who is the most famous "muay thai" fighter ever?

Kickboxing isn't popular anywhere. Buakaw enjoys some degree of celebrity in his own country and no where else.
In K-1s day it was much bigger than MMA. I'm pretty sure K-1 has some crazy attendance record than no UFC show has matched, and certainly hadn't back then.

In K-1s day it was much bigger than MMA. I'm pretty sure K-1 has some crazy attendance record than no UFC show has matched, and certainly hadn't back then.

UFC (MMA) is way bigger than K-1 ever was. I'd be shocked if K-1, at anytime, was worth even remotely close to what the UFC recently sold for.

Wouldn't the latter naturally imply the former, in the mind of the average combat sports consumer?

I've never heard any GSP style qualification to the effect that: "Anderson is one of the best Muay Thai fighters in MMA even though he never fought in Lumpinee". They just say "Anderson has world class muay thai" like they say "Cormier has world class wrestling" or "Maia has world class BJJ".
Let me simplify things because you are over complicating the matter. They are MMA guys, not Muay Thai guys. People see them as MMA guys.

UFC (MMA) is way bigger than K-1 ever was. I'd be shocked if K-1, at anytime, was worth even remotely close to what the UFC recently sold for.
UFC got way bigger with Ronda, Conor and UFC 200. The new fans have no idea who Shogun Rua and Wanderlei Silva are. Many didn't know who GSP was before his return.

UFC got way bigger with Ronda, Conor and UFC 200. The new fans have no idea who Shogun Rua and Wanderlei Silva are. Many didn't know who GSP was before his return.

UFC has been popular since 2005 and has had a spot in the general sports world since at least 2010. Pulling a lot of viewers on New Year's Eve didn't make K-1 the colossus you think, but the UFC was worth 10 figures long before Conor, Ronda and UFC 200. K-1 was popular only (meaning that's the only place they could put on events and get any kind of serious interest) in Japan. UFC is popular in the USA and in some degree, a lot of the world. And unlike K-1, UFC gets people by the hundreds of thousands to pay for many of its events.

All those MMA fighters you listed are more famous than any kickboxing star from K-1.

Last edited:
UFC has been popular since 2005 and has had a spot in the general sports world since at least 2010. Pulling a lot of viewers on New Year's Eve didn't make K-1 the colossus you think, but the UFC was worth 10 figures long before Conor, Ronda and UFC 200. K-1 was popular only (meaning that's the only place they could put on events and get any kind of serious interest) in Japan. UFC is popular in the USA and in some degree, a lot of the world. And unlike K-1, UFC gets people by the hundreds of thousands to pay for many of its events.

All those MMA fighters you listed are more famous than any kickboxing star from K-1.

I mostly agree except the last part. Facebook is far from being the perfect indicator but Buakaw has 4 mil likes, Badr has 2 mil, Shogun has 350k and Wand has 1 mil. Zambidis has 850k too. Like I said there is more to it than that but Badr and Buakaw have pretty huge followings. The UFC brand is bigger than the majority of it's fighters aside from Conor and Rousey.

That is certainly not the case where I am from. People have been hyped about the UFC since The Ultimate Fighter finale on a casual level. Going back to when I was a kid those early UFC events were a big deal on the playground. WWF made it big by bringing in Ken Shamrock as well.

It's certainly bigger now than it has ever been but the mainstream has been aware of the UFC for a long time. Just because their are newer fans it doesn't remove the fanbase that was already there.

Last edited:
The UFC had a 1 mil ppv buy card before Conor even started fighting. The liddell/couture/ortiz/hughes era did some huge pay per views. This was also when Pride was selling out big arenas in japan too.

That is certainly not the case where I am from. People have been hyped about the UFC since The Ultimate Fighter finale on a casual level. Going back to when I was a kid those early UFC events were a big deal on the playground.
I wish I knew about ufc back then. I never heard of it until the Shamrock Ortiz feud.

Let me simplify things because you are over complicating the matter. They are MMA guys, not Muay Thai guys. People see them as MMA guys.
People clearly see them as both and can't even differentiate between the two.

How can they be "muay thai fighters" when they are MMA fighters? I dont see them fighting in Muay Thai, do you?

How can they be "muay thai fighters" when they are MMA fighters? I dont see them fighting in Muay Thai, do you?
He's bent because Thai's don't get the recognition they deserve, which is true, but equating these guys to MT guys to further that point is quite a stretch.

Anderson Silva?
Wanderlei Silva?
Shogun Rua?
Jose Aldo?

who is the best MMA fighter ever?

1) buakaw
2) saenchai
3) yodsanklai

who is the best muay thai fighter ever

1) floyd mayweather
2) canelo alvarez
3) guillermo rigondeaux

this is pretty much what this post is..........lol

who is the best MMA fighter ever?

1) buakaw
2) saenchai
3) yodsanklai

who is the best muay thai fighter ever

1) floyd mayweather
2) canelo alvarez
3) guillermo rigondeaux

this is pretty much what this post is..........lol
Pretty ironic coming from you. You've made multiple attempts to claim Dekkers and JWP as ATGs.

Back