Who is using Retropie?

[insert_name_here]

Better than the best, Ooh Yeah!
@Brown
Reaction score
I just installed my first Pi 3 device and am noticing some issues.

I ported over the ROMS from my laptop and am having the same delay and response issues w/ my USB controller. Makes gameplay really frustrating. I am considering purchasing a new controller. I don’t recall having this problem before I took the controller in my luggage on my last trip.

Framerate compared to some original games also seems different. The board as it stands gets warm, but doesn’t get hot. If I overclock the device, I am sure I will have to implement a fan or some other cooling system.

Although, it’s a nice alternative to some of the devices like the NES, SNES mini or the AtGames offerings, I am not too impressed so far… configuration and updates seem to take forever, while porting over Gigs of ROMS took seconds. I would update, and have to reboot twice before I see results. Even configuring the controller using emulationstation wouldn’t work until I rebooted two or three times…

Maybe I just received a faulty board?

WY3lX.gif

Overclocked topless with fan and heat sink is way cooler than regular with case on with heat sink. Overclocked slightly and settings adjustments made a HUGE difference in being able to play normally certain games.

Yeah, I have had more hands on time w/ the device and have since changed my view… these little things are awesome!

I am learning, once you go pi, everything else goes bye…

I am always on this thing… if you are not manipulating software, you’re testing the limits of the hardware… again, these things are awesome!

I read the B+ with higher specs is the same chip as the B, but with better heat management for the overclocking of the old chip. This emboldened me to overclock since I have heat sink + fan.

your experience is the exact same as mine with retropie. it's cool for lower end systems but i'm not a fan of the lag out of the box and yeah you can get better performance with overclocking, but i just got a shield and called it a day. i'm sure a lower priced android solution will work for you, dead simple to config and ps4/xb1 controller support added and less controller lag.

I started going down that pie hole a year ago then said fuck it and built a real PC. They just aren't powerful enough, especially if you want to emulate more modern systems and enhance the visuals.

No, that's just what you paid for. All of this is why the Raspberry Pi is intended as a learning tool, and not an actual product. Right now, you're learning why processing power matters, and what the limitations are on squeezing as much as you can out of a particular device.

Indeed, for a viable entertainment product you need proper processing power. It's a bit like trying to run Kodi on the 1st gen or 2nd gen Fire TV Sticks. Technically, you could do it, but the internal storage, RAM and processing power simply weren't there for a smooth & snappy experience, and Amazon's FireOS is hostile to all hacks or workarounds.

Anyone who wants to build a legit emulation machine that can double as an HTPC for under $200 new should get the NVIDIA Shield 16GB including Remote & Dual-Analog Controller for $180:
613JU2mQoPL._SL1500_.jpg

51554z4mdjL._SL1500_.jpg

Not only is the controller spectacular for emulation, but now that Fortnite has been dropped on Android, and just yesterday lost Samsung exclusivity, you can count on it being more relevant natively to Android gaming. The tide is rising, and market movers like Fortnite will lead the way.

It has the same chipset in it as the Nintendo Switch (NVIDIA Tegra X1), 3GB RAM, MicroSD card for storage expansion, full-sized ports; is as hacker friendly as they come, supports HEVC encoding, enjoys support across all the biggest commercial video services (ex. 4K playback approved device by Netflix), and is still getting firmware update support from NVIDIA over 3 years after release. It already has the Android 8.0 Oreo update out after an initial hiccup with the rollout:

That was less than 3 months after the launch of Android 8.0. That's how on top of the device NVIDIA engineers remain. As recently as last month only 12.1% of Android devices were running on Oreo without counting China. This means we can safely assume that fewer than one out of ten Android devices currently is this up-to-date:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-distribution-news/

Of course, there are issues with the Oreo update, so if you don't run a custom ROM as you do on the Pi, then it's worth consideration to avoid:

If you want to play around with LIneageOS or Linux kernels and other hacks, but also for there to be substantial fruit to those efforts from an entertainment point of view, this is the device to own. I haven't explored the idea, because it requires more discretion (i.e. private message boards), but in theory, with the right hack, I believe you can run the Shield TV as a Nintendo Switch if you so desired.

I still use a first gen Pi as a streaming device, mainly Kodi, and it works just fine. When it comes to gaming, it will handle SNES games and some n64 games.
They’ve massively improved Rasbian OS, but I wish they would work towards making Android a more viable option.
When I get time, I am going to replace the first gen Pi with a 3b+ and turn the first gen into a Pi Hole.

I have one but don't use it anymore. Use a GDP for retro gaming now.

When I get time, I am going to replace the first gen Pi with a 3b+ and turn the first gen into a Pi Hole.
Maybe Pi 4 will be out by then. What's a "Pi Hole"?
exactly why i went nvidia shield like i said in my post. shield runs everything great and less bullshit interface of retroarch.
Pi is dirt cheap, so people can be more courageous than with something more expensive.

Maybe Pi 4 will be out by then. What's a "Pi Hole"?

Pi is dirt cheap, so people can be more courageous than with something more expensive.
Pi hole is software to turn a Pi into an ad blocker. It works kind of like a firewall, it blocks ads before they even load on your computer.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-05-10/inside-the-brotherhood-of-pi-hole-ad-blockers

We probably won’t see a Pi 4 for awhile. The people that make the Pi have shifted more towards the software side of things.
They’re also hitting the limitations of the cpu, they’ll need to do a redesign.

Last edited:
I just installed my first Pi 3 device and am noticing some issues.

I ported over the ROMS from my laptop and am having the same delay and response issues w/ my USB controller. Makes gameplay really frustrating. I am considering purchasing a new controller. I don’t recall having this problem before I took the controller in my luggage on my last trip.

Framerate compared to some original games also seems different. The board as it stands gets warm, but doesn’t get hot. If I overclock the device, I am sure I will have to implement a fan or some other cooling system.

Although, it’s a nice alternative to some of the devices like the NES, SNES mini or the AtGames offerings, I am not too impressed so far… configuration and updates seem to take forever, while porting over Gigs of ROMS took seconds. I would update, and have to reboot twice before I see results. Even configuring the controller using emulationstation wouldn’t work until I rebooted two or three times…

Maybe I just received a faulty board?

I have a custom built Bar Top Arcade machine that is using a Raspberry Pi 3 and is running Retro pie and it works great. A friend of mine built several of these and I bought one off of him . I'm techy and crafty enough to handle it myself, but imo it was worth it for me to not have to deal with it and just pay him to do it.

Here's a picture of it. The light up marquee is a nice touch.
i5yg1eN.png

Here's another picture of a couple more he built, but the trim on the marquees weren't done yet
80e334e5-b4f7-4fce-9666-d07a011c1ba5

So far I have run Mame, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Atari 2600, Nes, and Snes Emulators and Roms and have not run into any issues besides downloading a mame rom that doesn't work, but the bad roms are very few and far between. I've never noticed any lag either.

I don't plan running anything to heavy on it though just 80's and early-mid 90's stuff.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I put a Pi 3 into a non-functioning NES console that I found on eBay, pretty fun little project. It runs Retropie and has about 1600 games on it (NES, SNES, GBA, and PS1). I use an old PS3 controller and haven't had any lag or response issues.

Haven't tried playing around with overclocking it, but I don't think it really needs it for what I'm doing. I put it a small fan and heat sink, mostly because they were super cheap, but they probably aren't really needed for my setup.

Too bad the Pi can't reliably run N64 games (or at least not without a crap-ton of tweaking/optimizing).

A few years ago, I put a Pi 3 into a non-functioning NES console that I found on eBay, pretty fun little project. It runs Retropie and has about 1600 games on it (NES, SNES, GBA, and PS1). I use an old PS3 controller and haven't had any lag or response issues.

Haven't tried playing around with overclocking it, but I don't think it really needs it for what I'm doing. I put it a small fan and heat sink, mostly because they were super cheap, but they probably aren't really needed for my setup.

Too bad the Pi can't reliably run N64 games (or at least not without a crap-ton of tweaking/optimizing).
Slightly overclocked can play PSP pretty smoothly, I've seen. Needs tinkering with the settings though. One wrong setting can mean the difference between can and cannot.

Topless with fan is way cooler than with case top on and no fan. For this reason, I don't bother with gimmicky cases.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of this Raspberry Pi 3? Can anyone testify! Seems like it has everything I need out of the box. Or is this to expensive?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DGFH76Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_2?smid=A2PDQ2WMYTIYVC&psc=1

@GSP_37
@Kalitaur
@Steve-French
@jefferz

Help me out breddren.

It's the same kit this guy is using.

It's $99 bucks Canadian though. Gonna pick up a cheap 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive too for $12 bucks.

This what I'm running in my arcade machine and it works great. If you want to play anything too 3D'ish you're going to need to over clock it. (A process that I'm unfamiliar with)The only Arcade games I've had trouble with have been the Tekken games as they run kind of choppy. Shit like NEO GEO, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter (1,2, and 3, SF Capcom, etc..) work fine though.

Like I said if you want to just stick to all things Pre-N64 and Playstation you will be just fine running it out of the box. I'm not running a fan with mine either as I just have it mounted inside of a big ass cabinet in no case and it works just fine.

Some of my favorites to rock have been...

Kageki
hqdefault.jpg

MK II
hqdefault.jpg

WWF Wrestlefest
WWF-Wrestlefest.png

Super Punch Out!!!
super_punch_out_snes_classic_reviews_01b.jpg

RoboCop
hqdefault.jpg

Superman
superman_screenshot.png

Hat Trick
hqdefault.jpg

Kung FU
KungFuNES.jpg

Street Fighter 2
street-fighter-2-6.jpg

Last edited:
This what I'm running in my arcade machine and it works great. If you want to play anything too 3D'ish you're going to need to over clock it. (A process that I'm unfamiliar with)The only Arcade games I've had trouble with have been the Tekken games as they run kind of choppy. Shit like NEO GEO, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter (1,2, and 3, SF Capcom, etc..) work fine though.

Like I said if you want to just stick to all things Pre-N64 and Playstation you will be just fine running it out of the box. I'm not running a fan with mine either as I just have it mounted inside of a big ass cabinet in no case and it works just fine.

I will run GBA, GB, Genesis, Super NES, NES, PSX and N64 ROMs/ISOs. I know N64 emulation accuracy is something to be desired with all those crazy chipsets. Maybe I should get a case with a fan then? The heat sinks seem decent enough.

The processor and RAM seem more then adequate for PSX and N64 era games over the base 3. Are you running the 3 or 3 B+ Steve? At least from what I saw in that vid he was running Kazooie fine.

Thanks for your reply.

I will run GBA, GB, Genesis, Super NES, NES, PSX and N64 ROMs/ISOs. I know N64 emulation accuracy is something to be desired with all those crazy chipsets. Maybe I should get a case with a fan then? The heat sinks seem decent enough.

The processor and RAM seem more then adequate for PSX and N64 era games over the base 3. Are you running the 3 or 3 B+ Steve? At least from what I saw in that vid he was running Kazooie fine.

Thanks for your reply.

I think I'm just running the 3. Like I said my friend built it, but I only recall him paying like 60 U.S. dollars for it. I've put some hours into setting up the emulators and skins. The mapping and such can be a little tricky some times, but nothing you won't be able to handle. I haven't tried PSX or 64 yet because I'm running it through a cabinet that has the 2 player 6 button set up. I can run a controller via USB into the back if I want, but I've been happy with what I've got so far. One thing I would advise though is to run a wireless keyboard through one of the USB ports. Especially if you ever plan on running mame.

Back