Who remembers Bas Ruttens striking cd’s?

neil_totally

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was having a think recently, and remembering when I first started training 15 or so years ago, how much fun they were when I was just shadow boxing or working out alone.

I didn’t train for the last 10-13 or so years, and got back into Muay Thai training about 18 months ago, and although it’s going well (considering I’m in my late 30’s with three kids etc etc etc), one of the things I sometimes struggle with, is working combos that I’ve been practicing with my coaches on the bag when I’m squeezing in some bag rounds at home, and it got me thinking about the Bas stuff from yesteryear.

How would you all feel if there was a podcast that basically did what those old Bas cd’s did, but with various coaches over the episodes? So a one hour podcast, say, would be a small interview with a mt or boxing coach, then 12 three minute rounds with the coach yelling out drills, combos, defenses etc? Maybe the first two or three rounds building said combos, then have the intensity of the commands build as the rounds progress.

I’ve started mapping out some rounds for myself this weekend, just as audio notes on my phone, and I’m hopeful it could make solo bagwork, especially when I’m not totally in the mindset due to time etc to get in the zone and just work, more rewarding and fun.

What’s all y’alls thoughts? Is this something you would be interested in? Something you do already? Something you’ve tried? Something fuckin’ stoopid?

still use the Bas Rutten tapes 8 or 9 years after I started training. As I'm working switching now, I do the tape in southpaw to force myself to stay in southpaw at a heavy pace without slowing down, like I can do if I'm setting the pace myself. I use it to force pace, and use regular bag work to work applicable technique.

One of the big problems with the Bas Tape is that he never calls for defensive tactics, and even though its assumed that you do some between the combos. But what this does mean is that your not working your offence with your defense, like pulling and throwing a cross or rolling and throwing the left hook like you might practice on free bag work. It's purely a good cardio exercise.

If you were to consider making a tape, maybe keep it away from a podcast with interviews. When I want to train, I want to train usually. But you could maybe put a theme to the work out, and talk about it a little in the beginning? The Bas Tape has no teeps, no left uppercuts, no right body rips, no 1-3s, and as I said no defensive work built into the combinations. You could include stuff like that, as well as more extensive combinations.

still use the Bas Rutten tapes 8 or 9 years after I started training. As I'm working switching now, I do the tape in southpaw to force myself to stay in southpaw at a heavy pace without slowing down, like I can do if I'm setting the pace myself. I use it to force pace, and use regular bag work to work applicable technique.

One of the big problems with the Bas Tape is that he never calls for defensive tactics, and even though its assumed that you do some between the combos. But what this does mean is that your not working your offence with your defense, like pulling and throwing a cross or rolling and throwing the left hook like you might practice on free bag work. It's purely a good cardio exercise.

If you were to consider making a tape, maybe keep it away from a podcast with interviews. When I want to train, I want to train usually. But you could maybe put a theme to the work out, and talk about it a little in the beginning? The Bas Tape has no teeps, no left uppercuts, no right body rips, no 1-3s, and as I said no defensive work built into the combinations. You could include stuff like that, as well as more extensive combinations.

Yeah, the defensive techniques are something missing from those tapes that I thought were really important.

The reasoning for the podcast idea, was because I know how to make a podcast, but not an app, ha! Also the apps I’ve looked at, that seem to do this kind of randomized techniques throughout a round, seem crazy complicated. Whereas a podcast keeps it fairly simple. Having different coaches do it would keep the workouts interesting and new, and you’re right; the “interview” portion would only be short, and would be technique/style focused, really just as a lead in for the actual rounds.

Thanks for your thoughts! I’m gonna get to work on this asap.

Bas's tapes are awesome, if someone can get ahold of Bas Ruttens kicking instructional video and share it that would be great. I know @spacetime posted one a while ago, but it got deleted somehow?

As far as your idea about a CD or whatever, I would not be interested in something like that at all. Beginners might, but if your idea is to make these things and try to sell them, I do not think anyone will buy them. There is too much free stuff on youtube already to compete with. That being said, I would suggest you get on youtube yourself as well regarding instructionals if you havent already.

I do. (but this is not me)

I do. (but this is not me)

thats his workout that i think is lame, i mean his tutorial videos, he has one on kicking that was posted by spacetime, i cant find it anywhere else on teh net.

thats his workout that i think is lame, i mean his tutorial videos, he has one on kicking that was posted by spacetime, i cant find it anywhere else on teh net.

I remember training at London Shoot fighters back in the day, there used to be a guy that would do the BAS workout tape cassette, it was just circuit training but he loved it.....;)

I remember training at London Shoot fighters back in the day, there used to be a guy that would do the BAS workout tape cassette, it was just circuit training but he loved it.....;)

looking for this full video

found a longer clip but am looking for the full video

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back