Who should profit from automation?

That’s cool. Edits in Rockwell are really nice and clean to make things function a little better for the application. They’re also the only thing I trust for drive work.

Does your site use any GuardLogix 5000 for safety purposes? There are E&I/tech’s that hate it with the redundancy, but it really operates the same as regular 5000.

I freaking hate programming in Honeywell’s configuration studio for c300 though. Anything I do there, I know I could have done in a 5th of the time in Rockwell. And it’s 10x more complicated for guys to troubleshoot as it isn’t nice and linear like ladder logic as every single freaking device has their own control module and you have to jump around to different screens to get a handle on the flow and intent of the program

we dont use guardlogix cards, we use contact blocks that physically drop out the enables to our drives. . For some reason when we hire people to program the alarms for that, they have a habit of not labelling the bits so i get to play dumb little games figuring out where they go, and what the fuck happened. Naturally that portion of the program is safety locked so i cant add the fucking names afterward.

We do have a MUCH older program in the older part of the plant called SYMAX. Its a square D program from fucking 1984 running off DOS. Makes me feel like im in the matrix movies using it because it cant support actual tags, just numbers that referance things like IO or other rungs. Learn the important numbers after awhile and dont have to look them up. Studio is so much better its absurd though.

we dont use guardlogix cards, we use contact blocks that physically drop out the enables to our drives. . For some reason when we hire people to program the alarms for that, they have a habit of not labelling the bits so i get to play dumb little games figuring out where they go, and what the fuck happened. Naturally that portion of the program is safety locked so i cant add the fucking names afterward.

We do have a MUCH older program in the older part of the plant called SYMAX. Its a square D program from fucking 1984 running off DOS. Makes me feel like im in the matrix movies using it because it cant support actual tags, just numbers that referance things like IO or other rungs. Learn the important numbers after awhile and dont have to look them up. Studio is so much better its absurd though.

Lol. When I was an intern/co-op 5 years ago there something running off DOS at that company. Literally older than me. I thought it was a prank when it was a black screen with green writing, and the mouse didn’t work; could only navigate with arrow keys and enter button

Lol. When I was an intern/co-op 5 years ago there something running off DOS at that company. Literally older than me. I thought it was a prank when it was a black screen with green writing, and the mouse didn’t work; could only navigate with arrow keys and enter button

Boeing has DOS prompt programs as well.

Don't worry though guys. If we give the corporations more money, I'm sure they will upgrade.

Boeing has DOS prompt programs as well.

Don't worry though guys. If we give the corporations more money, I'm sure they will upgrade.

It’s not about not wanting to pay the money for the upgrade. I’ve done one of those ancient upgrades before and have looked into other proposals. Many times it turns into too painful to do (the downtime and production lost and potentially not hitting orders) and the old system simply still working, so why not keep on waiting to replace it ?

It’s not about not wanting to pay the money for the upgrade. I’ve done one of those ancient upgrades before and have looked into other proposals. Many times it turns into too painful to do (the downtime and production lost and potentially not hitting orders) and the old system simply still working, so why not keep on waiting to replace it ?

Exactly. Corporations hire people, or upgrade infrastructure because they have to.

No tax break will ever get them to do either.

I'd say most financial institutions are still running on systems developed with COBOL.
It isn't new...
page1-457px-COBOL_Report_Apr60.djvu.jpg

Never used that, but i assume i would hate it.

It's very old school. I only know one guy that's a capable coder in COBOL, and he taught himself when we were at Uni.
Only problem was, he lived the "Bucket Bongs for Breakfast" lifestyle at that point, so he can only code in COBOL when he's monumentally stoned.
Later on when the Millenium bug needed sorting out he basically set himself up for life. He wasn't smoking much weed by then, but he still had to make sure the Banks would let him take the work home so he could get properly wasted.

The people who own the machinery.

If you're willing to take the risk of investing in automation, you should be able to reap the rewards.

My company invested in automation a few years ago. I can actually speak with some authority on this subject.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I don't know the answer. But I do know the US should have a minimum income for being a citizen. Maybe 5 or 10 grand a year for everyone. Keep the economy rolling. No big deal.

No big deal!?
A minimum income is almost certainly the first step toward state regulation of reproduction. It's a poison pill.

Back