Who took a worse beating and who is more durable/iron chinned: Ortega or Hooker?

Ortega took like 300 punches to the dome. For all we know he might be drinking through a straw for the rest of his life post career.

It sucks to get kicked in the leg and knee the pain is almost unbearable.

I take it you haven't seen this then

He isn't back. Brain trauma isn't always apparent. Hell, CTE can't be fully confirmed until post mortem. Even brain swelling from a mild concussion can linger on 4-6 months later on. I've seen a few studies where neurological abnormalities can be seen through a diffusion MRI months after the event.

What Hooker endured was much worse from an immediate pain perspective. If you've fought or sparred, you'd know you can push through accumulated head damage from strikes. But one proper shot to the liver ENDS you. You need godlike pain tolerance to even keep upright after that.

Yeah, but what Brian withstood was much worse for longevity and brain health. He took like 300 punches to the head.

Barboza's kicks are quite possibly the hardest P4P strike in MMA. The fact that Hooker ate so many flush kicks to the body before finally going down is nothing short of miraculous.

He isn't back. Brain trauma isn't always apparent. Hell, CTE can't be fully confirmed until post mortem. Even brain swelling from a mild concussion can linger on 4-6 months later on. I've seen a few studies where neurological abnormalities can be seen through a diffusion MRI months after the event.

My response was to your comment that Ortega will be drinking from a straw. Maybe most of the damage was superficial. He was never dropped either, as an obvious sign of concussion and brain trauma is when your legs give out from a punch to the head.

My response was to your comment that Ortega will be drinking from a straw. Maybe most of the damage was superficial. He was never dropped either, as an obvious sign of concussion and brain trauma is when your legs give out from a punch to the head.

I said post career he might be drinking through a straw my man. Post career. It means after he retires.

And he has a high chance for brain damage. You don't take 300 punches to the face for 25 mins straight and expect to come out clean.

I said post career he might be drinking through a straw my man. Post career. It means after he retires.

And he definitely has brain damage. You don't take 300 punches straight to the face for 25 mins straight and except to come out clean.

1) Fuck you, don't explain to me what "post career" means when I've clearly demonstrated I'm intelligent
2) I never said he didn't have brain damage. I'm sure he does, but perhaps it's not as significant as you think it is based on the way his face looked
3) It was 20 minutes (4 rounds times 5 minutes=20. Come on my man, thought you were smart?) and 244 strikes to the head, as I posted earlier in this thread. Stop throwing around the 300 number

What Hooker lacks in brains, he makes up for in heart. I like him, but I hope he doesn't get into too many more fights like that. His cornermen are fucking idiots for not stopping the fight, and they're actually lucky that Barboza was tiring quickly. If he was fresher, it could have been much worse.

Barboza was pretty much teeing off on a (near) defenseless fighter, and more than once I questioned out loud why the ref wasn't stopping the fight. If the ref wasn't going to (for whatever reason), then then corner should have.

What would you prefer: liver/kidney failure or brain damage?

I'd take the liver shot, which I've endured before lol, absolute worst pain I've ever experienced , but it's instant, you feel it, and if it's real bad, you might piss some blood, but brain shots, that damage comes later, and it's unpredictable as fuck, TJ Grant comes to mind.
However, it's a lot more humiliating getting knocked out by a body shot,...worse for the ego, better for the brain, taking head shots, better for the ego, worse for the brain lol.

Come on man, it's sarcasm at its finest, you know that, obviously he's not drinking through a straw right now, that'll come 30 years later lol.

I'm a big fan of both fighters mentioned in the title, but will freely admit they got their asses handed to them by Holloway and Barboza. That being said, both guys showed a ton of heart, grit, and toughness.

Haven't looked at the stats, but I think it's safe to say that Ortega absorbed far more strikes than Hooker, and I don't think Ortega was dropped once...but man, those kicks Hooker took to the legs and body from Barboza were brutal. Dropped several times, but kept on getting back up.
IMO while Ortega's beating must be worse due to the amount of strikes to the head, Max is not a power puncher.
Barboza on the other hand has power and those kicks were thrown with the full intention to end the fight.

My vote goes for Hooker. the brutality was far worse IMO.

Ortega got busted up, but I think it was more cosmetic than anything. Hooker took way more damage. Barboza hits WAY harder. Dayum.

Body will heal.

Brain damage not so much.

Hooker I would imagine endured a much more painful experience, but he is much less likely have lasting brain damage (unless the 70 or so head shots he took did more damage than the 244 Ortega took), headaches, memory loss, demensia, insomnia, depression, etc from his beating.

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either beating, but gun to my head I would choose the body shots. I already have issues with headaches and other side effects from a handful of concussions, I would avoid brain trauma at all costs.

Max is a bad dude but, Boza is hitting waay harder than Max.

Ortega wasnt taking full baseball bat swings at his body and legs and some vicious knees. Hell, even Bozas power punches were landing clean.

Max being a volume, combination puncher, is throwing with less heat.

1) Fuck you, don't explain to me what "post career" means when I've clearly demonstrated I'm intelligent
2) I never said he didn't have brain damage. I'm sure he does, but perhaps it's not as significant as you think it is based on the way his face looked
3) It was 20 minutes (4 rounds times 5 minutes=20. Come on my man, thought you were smart?) and 244 strikes to the head, as I posted earlier in this thread. Stop throwing around the 300 number

I am questioning your intelligence? Lol. <45>If anything you are questioning your own intellectual ability by bringing it up. I reiterated my point because you posted a picture of Ortega *being fine and dandy* when I clearly stated brain damage isn't always obvious until later in life. Especially considering post career means he has the potential to receive even more brain damage 10 or 20 more fights down the line.

Okay, great! We have established that he might have brain damage but to what degree we do not know as of yet.

Here's my question for you: How can you scientifically come to the conclusion that he likely didn't take much damage because his face is all healed up? Fun fact: Hundreds of football players suffer from concussions each year. The number of CTE candidates are still unknown. Just by going off their appearance alone they seem rather fine. No damage here boys!

1)

Who said I was smart, bro? You are bleeding/projecting your insecurities onto your replies like no other. It's kinda" adorable and entertaining I might add on my end. Thank you for the indirect complement. I said 300 punches to the dome in 25 mins as a figures of speech. No normal person is going to go back to fight matrix to look up at exactly how many punches he actually took to the head to reply back to a random post.

*Max Holloway probably did a 10 punch combo on Ortega head!.. Osiris: Actually he only did a 6 punch combo you dummy!*

Last edited:

A truly surly response, sir!

Hooked took a beating from a full sized man.

Back