Who uses the coyote guard?

I do. I like it. It's the only guard that ever intuitively made sense to me.

I also think it's the best guard for people who don't take care of themselves. So many guards require the ability to bring your knee to your chest, and if you have rock hips, it's going to be a hard life.

i liketo play the ankle hook leite style half but i dont like to pinch the leg holding onto it when i come up i keep heavy head pressure on them to knock them off base and run them down with a single ect i find is better than dog fight/coyote

I was very interested in it, there's not a lot of free online content on the subject and my tutorial money is spent on other stuff

There was some of it in the Jake Mackenzie DVD on BJJ Fanatics but they kind of cut / messed up most of it and they just talk about it without showing it properly. They call it the knee twist

It also look to be very good if you mix it up with deep half and the lockdown

I do. I like it. It's the only guard that ever intuitively made sense to me.

I also think it's the best guard for people who don't take care of themselves. So many guards require the ability to bring your knee to your chest, and if you have rock hips, it's going to be a hard life.

I agree about that with half guard in general. Ihalf guard also has a direct path to the back that forces certain reactions of done right which is why I made the switch from butterfly/ single leg x.

I was very interested in it, there's not a lot of free online content on the subject and my tutorial money is spent on other stuff

There was some of it in the Jake Mackenzie DVD on BJJ Fanatics but they kind of cut / messed up most of it and they just talk about it without showing it properly. They call it the knee twist

It also look to be very good if you mix it up with deep half and the lockdown
Whats your guard game?

Yes, I use it a lot. I think it's the best way of playing traditional half guard (that is, without a knee shield but not deep).

isnt coyote just dog fight position? i thought he made the distinction that coyote is when your up on knees triangling legs working to take the single

or is it just lucas leites leg hook half?

Yes it is. What is your dumb side?

on my good side i play a knee shield as my primary, but will also play a ryan hall-style deep half situationally. for some reason, these don't feel natural on the other side, but the underhook with leite hook coming up to a takedown does. i don't end up there often enough to explore the position beyond the knee tap single or reversal sweep, but certainly a great spot.

Last edited:
i liketo play the ankle hook leite style half but i dont like to pinch the leg holding onto it when i come up i keep heavy head pressure on them to knock them off base and run them down with a single ect i find is better than dog fight/coyote

I dunno, it seems like that's a recipe to get limp legged (see: Maia's most recent fight).

isnt coyote just dog fight position? i thought he made the distinction that coyote is when your up on knees triangling legs working to take the single

It's the leg hook, and ways of keeping the leg hook without ever letting go (i.e., "as a coyote never lets go of it's prey," which seems dumb but whatever he could kick my ass). Also some really slick back takes and sweeps. Also there's like a octo-coyote that I'm a big fan of.

It's the entire system. Sweeps, back takes etc.

Its been my main guard early Blue through to Brown, i've also watched pretty much every Half Guard instructional set ever made that has any content related to it known to man if you want to know what ones are any use ;-)

Its been my main guard early Blue through to Brown, i've also watched pretty much every Half Guard instructional set ever made that has any content related to it known to man if you want to know what ones are any use ;-)
Sure

In terms of must-have ones this would be my list in order:

Paul Schreiner “1/2 Guard” - This Digitsu set is by far the best structured, best taught set for this kind of Knee Torque Half Guard.It is a complete game laid out in a really linear fashion giving you a system from entry, to attack including a bunch of troubleshooting and wider Half concepts. Its genuinely one of the best BJJ sets of any kind out there on any topic i think. Buy this first if you’re going to buy anything!

Lucas Leite “Coyote Guard” - Like most BJJ Fanatics sets this could have been condensed to about half the length and number of dvds. The techniques are obviously great, Lucas is a good teacher but the contents are a bit scattered and not arranged in an ideal order. Camera angles etc. are not as good as on the Schreiner one but if you’re familiar with the position you’ll get a lot out of it. I think this and Schreiner’s compliment each other really well as a pair.

Jake MacKenzie “Precision Half Guard Vol 2” - This set has all the Underhook Half stuff not the first set Quebec Nick was talking about. He uses a different set of entries, grips and setups to Leite but the basic principles are the same. It wouldn’t be the first one i’d get but if you already use the knee torque half there is a ton of really good sweeps from positions the others don’t show as you defend passes or they defend your attacks.

Lachlan Giles “Half Guard Seminar download” - Another slightly different variation, he focuses a bit more on wrestling from the knees than Leite but has some very nice entries and troubleshooting solutions to common issues you’ll hit. There’s not too much here you won’t find elsewhere but it is the cheapest of the ones i’ve listed and also includes a bunch of rolling footage with examples of the techniques being used which is really helpful.

Caio Terra 111 Half Guard Techniques - This is an older set people might not realise has Knee Torque stuff, it has some absolute gold on it. The Knee Shield and Half Guard Single Leg sections include a small amount of stuff but every single one is techniques i use over and over from the position. He really focuses on small details and if you’re a Half Guard player of any sort this is worth getting even thought the amount of Knee Torque techniques are tiny compared to the others.

People like Tom DeBlass, James Clingerman and others have okay stuff but nowhere as detailed as the above. I’ve been lucky enough to do seminars and classes on half with Schreiner, MacKenzie and Giles so i’ve stolen bits from all of them.

If you’re signed up for any of these sites you might not know there is also some stuff on there:

Saulo’s BJJ Library - 12 video series with Lucas Leite which covers everything you need to know really, its like a concise version of his full DVD set

MG in Action - Search for Paul Schreiner video’s there’s a bunch of great videos labelled Half Guard or Hip Shovel covering the position.

Flo Grappling - One 18 minute video of Lucas Leite on setups and entries for dealing with speed passers

I’ll have a root through my browser history, favourites and stuff i have saved down to see what good free stuff from places like Youtube i can post. There was a fantastic 90 minutes Lucas Leite seminar video on Youtube in the past that got taken down somebody may have. One of the users on here called Gambledub did a great breakdown with gifs he posted on Googledocs if you can find it that is really useful.

Whats your guard game?

Butterfly / SLX / X guard

In half guard, I start with the knee shield and if I have a good control against the cross face, I will primarly go to half butterfly and enter X guard

I switch it to underhook from the knee shield if I feel that the other guy is cheating to avoid my go to move. So when someone is just pushing me and gets a weak cross face to make sure I don't put my arm under is leg, I go on my elbow and get the underhook. Most of the time there's a lot of space to get it. It's then that I start to use knee twist/leite, I go for the back take, or I switch to deep half.

i think his half is the best all around half guard system works extremely well in mma especially against strong wrestlers wiht good base as you torque the leg kills there base ins topping you from coming up but i dont like to underhook the hip i feel it makes there whizzer stronger i prefer to whizzer the thigh so i can easily come up to a single anytime i want

If you’re signed up for any of these sites you might not know there is also some stuff on there:

Caio has some videos on the coyote guard on his site. It's useful as he does some things differently.
I also learned some stuff from Buchecha and Lucas Leite on Buchecha's site.
Lucas Leite also posts good techniques on his instagram.

Back