Who were the most important SEG stars in the early UFC and why????

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think most can agree Royce changed the game forever. He introduced BJJ to the world and was the most dominant fighter in those early days, never (truly) losing.

After Royce though who do you think was the most important to the game and why?

I'd say Mark Coleman is probably number 2. He brought legit wrestling, and showed how effective it could be. Not to mention, he popularized ground'n'pound and demonstrated its effectiveness.
Ken Shamrock was great, and the most popular of the bunch, but I'm not sure what he really taught us.
Marco Ruas proved that leg kicks were extremely effective, and Oleg introduced us to Sambo.
Don Frye showed that boxing had it's place if you could couple it with effective transitions. Him and Frank Shamrock were really the first two cross-trained athletes in the UFC.

I think most can agree Royce changed the game forever. He introduced BJJ to the world and was the most dominant fighter in those early days, never (truly) losing.

After Royce though who do you think was the most important to the game and why?

I'd say Mark Coleman is probably number 2. He brought legit wrestling, and showed how effective it could be. Not to mention, he popularized ground'n'pound and demonstrated its effectiveness.
Ken Shamrock was great, and the most popular of the bunch, but I'm not sure what he really taught us.
Marco Ruas proved that leg kicks were extremely effective, and Oleg introduced us to Sambo.
Don Frye showed that boxing had it's place if you could couple it with effective transitions. Him and Frank Shamrock were really the first two cross-trained athletes in the UFC.

Frye and Frank weren the first cross-trained athletes.
You actually mentioned several names who came before them and were already cross-training

Frank Shamrock. The first actual mixed martial artist imo. Done Frye too because, well, he's Don Frye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back