Who were your boxing heroes as a kid and

actjac

Down goes Frazuh...down goes Frazuh
@purple
Reaction score
. . . .did you ever see any of them fight in person or meet one of them?

Roy Jones, Sven Ottke and Evander Holyfield and yes I have seen them all fight in person.

Lennox Lewis
Prince naseem hamed
Joe calzaghe

I'm from Philippines, so definitely Pac.
But then I became a Floyd fan because of his technicality and skills.

Ricky Hatton got me into boxing.

"Walking in a Hatton Wonderland"

Ali, then the Hit Man and Duran.
The only boxer I saw in real life was Frank Bruno, when he came to Gateshead for a charity football match. I was a bit in awe of him, as this was when Tyson was still undefeated, and big Frank had gone 5 brutal rounds with him.

Muhammad Ali, Evander Holyfield, Thomas Hearns, James Toney, Sugar Ray Leonard, Razor Ruddock, Roy Jones, Michael Watson, David Tua (he was a New Zealander doing well in the Olympics when I was living in New Zealand), and Swedish fighter George Scott (from when he was known as George Cramne in the 1988 Olympics),. Later in my teens I became a big fan of Terry Norris.

Evander Holyfield was definitely my biggest hero hehehe. I did a lot of lifting to and spent a lot of money on Weider protein powder to look like him. I fucking idolised that guy for a while.

Met James Tua a couple of times, and also his trainer (well, manager at the time) Kevin Barry, who I knew about because of the 1984 Olympics scandal with Evander Holyfield. First time I met Kevin was actually when he came to my locker room to congratulate me on a win. Both David and Kevin were super, super nice. Then a few years later I met James Toney and got to know him a bit when I training at the Wild Card gym. Nice guy one on one, otherwise a bit of an asshole a lot of the time. Rather easy to annoy.

Last edited:
JCC. Saw Taylor 1 when I was 5 on a replay before JCC-Camacho, Chavez was like a superhero.

I remember thinking Ray Leonard seemed pretty cool in that 7up commercial.

Marvellous Marvin Hagler was my first hero.
Subsequently, it was Eubank and Prince Naseem

Barry McGuigan, can’t stand him now
why? I've heard negative things but can't figure out why people think he's a scumbag, he's always come across as super levellheaded in interviews and is one of the best analysts in the game.

why? I've heard negative things but can't figure out why people think he's a scumbag, he's always come across as super levellheaded in interviews and is one of the best analysts in the game.

He’s bad when it comes to money and fighters. Couldn’t agree with you more about his analysis and I think he’s great at commentary, it’s just wrong seeing a ex boxer fuck over fighters himself

He’s bad when it comes to money and fighters. Couldn’t agree with you more about his analysis and I think he’s great at commentary, it’s just wrong seeing a ex boxer fuck over fighters himself
I don't doubt it but can you give an example. I always did believe the people who got screwed themselves are the first to screw others. doesn't make sense on the surface but it's how humans are, abused turns into abuser. I remind myself of that every time I want to kill some guy for talking shit and acting pompous, he's just acting out what he gets from someone else. It's still no excuse and it's hard to cope with for me. Incidentally, one of the fighters from my old mma gym said the same thing about the owner "he was a fighter, he should know better" no, not really. People have issues, people get squelched, shit on, told they ain't shit and you think they are going to help open doors for you?

Back