who were your hometown sports heroes as a kid?

ProBoxingInsidr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What was your team and who were your main guys at the time of your childhood/ teens?

The thing I loved as a kid was teams were much more stable so you could really follow a guy for most of his career (usually). Who were the guys from your local teams that you were really behind? Or for those of you who didnt have a team, the teams you followed

Mine

Red Wings- Steve Yzerman, Bob Probert (I used Steve Yzerman as an alias for years when I moved down south since nobody there followed hockey. A perfect representative for a team

Tigers- Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Chet Lemon (whitaker was probably my biggest hero. Its a shame he didnt get more recognition for the Hall of Fame.

Pistons- Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer (also a big fan of Akeem Olajuwon when I moved to Houston). Isiah was right there with Lou at the top of my list

Lions- Billy Sims (would have been a sure fire HoF'er if he had not had so many injuries. He gave Lions fans a glimpse of what was to come in Barry a few years later

Tie domi - maple leafs goon
Vince Carter - greatest dunker of all time
Carlos Delgado - put up insane numbers for the Jays during a time when everyone was juicing
Donovan Bailey - fastest man alive at one point.

Michael Jordan
Jeremy Roenick
Ed Belfour
Frank Thomas
Ryne Sandburg
Scottie Pippen
Walter Payton

Ulster Rugby
David Humphreys - captained Ulster to our only European Cup trophy, one of our all time greats.
_45428303_1999humphreys_field416.jpg

Stephen Ferris - Beast of a man. Just a fan favourite and an unbelievable competitor. Was the engine of the team for several years until his knees eventually gave in due to his hard running style (he did miss a lot of time out with injuries too).

Nordiques: Joe Sakic
Arsenal: Tony Adams
- Vikings: Warren Moon
Celtics: Larry Bird
Marquis Grissom

Last edited:
Lynch
Andre Ward
Ricky Henderson
Jason Kidd

Ulster Rugby
David Humphreys - captained Ulster to our only European Cup trophy, one of our all time greats.
_45428303_1999humphreys_field416.jpg

Stephen Ferris - Beast of a man. Just a fan favourite and an unbelievable competitor. Was the engine of the team for several years until his knees eventually gave in due to his hard running style (he did miss a lot of time out with injuries too).

Haven't watched rugby in years. I know that he's not a hometown boy but weirdly one of my favourite players was Kevin Maggs.

Kevin Johnson
Charles Barkley
Dan Marjle
Shane Doan
Wayne Gretsky
Jake Plummer
Pat Tillman

Tony Gwynn and Junior Seau were my big sports heroes growing up. Hard to believe they are both gone.

The Weapon X highlight still chokes me up when I watch it.

I hope Banner dies a slow and horrible death.
Karl Joseph is my poor mans Dawkins. Hope he hits the next level with a better staff. He flashes some brilliant violence.

Give him a watch if you get a chance.

Shawn Kemp
Karl Malone and John Stockton
Jason the Kidd

Back