who were your hometown sports heroes as a kid?

Hometown CT heroes..

Steve Young
Bill Romanowski
Jeff Bagwell
Charles Smith
Dwight Freeney
Brian Leetch

We also spawned Aaron Hernandez.

Due to free agency, did we really have any hometown heroes?

I remember as a kid when Wade Boggs was traded to the Yankees, the guys on the radio were trying to organize a "Boo Boggs" day at Fenway Park.

I found that odd.

Due to free agency, did we really have any hometown heroes?

I remember as a kid when Wade Boggs was traded to the Yankees, the guys on the radio were trying to organize a "Boo Boggs" day at Fenway Park.

I found that odd.
yea, its harder now. growing up in detroit, most of our guys were there for a long time. whitaker, trammell, morris (for a decade), isiah, laimbeer, the microwave, yzerman, barry sanders, etc. were all there for at least a large chunk of their careers. Now you barely get used to them before they are gone. maybe this is a thread for old guys

I think the only player I ever had as a hero was Alfredo Griffin when I was like 8 yrs old. They used to have one day a year when kids under 14 could on the field before a game and get their picture taken with a Blue Jay. I got pics with Alfredo Griffin and Rico Carty. They were both really cool with kids.

yea, its harder now. growing up in detroit, most of our guys were there for a long time. whitaker, trammell, morris (for a decade), isiah, laimbeer, the microwave, yzerman, barry sanders, etc. were all there for at least a large chunk of their careers. Now you barely get used to them before they are gone. maybe this is a thread for old guys

You might be my age. I don't remember what the event was but I met Al Bubba Baker (d-lineman) and David Hill (TE) at some event as a kid. They were the biggest humans i'd ever seen in my life. Seemed unreal.

You might be my age. I don't remember what the event was but I met Al Bubba Baker (d-lineman) and David Hill (TE) at some event as a kid. They were the biggest humans i'd ever seen in my life. Seemed unreal.
i am 44. man i loved bubba baker too. one of the most underrated d-lineman ever. he belongs in the hall of fame. he has a bbq busines now. i am actually facebook friends with him.

My big crushing experience was at a tigers game. lou whitaker was my favorite player. before a game they had pairs of players signing all over the stadium. i went to a table that had lou and Rusty Kuntz. Waited in line for like an hour for autographs and about 10 minutes before getting to the front these 2 bitches cut in front of me. then they cut the line off literally with me being the next person and those ladies got in. i was devastated. how do you cut the line off right at a kid who is about 10 years old?

i am 44. man i loved bubba baker too. one of the most underrated d-lineman ever. he belongs in the hall of fame. he has a bbq busines now. i am actually facebook friends with him.

I agree. Bubba Baker was a monster.

Hometown...
Sean Elliott
4e8e2943a3764.image.jpg

And Steve Kerr
Kerr.jpg

Gary Payton
Matt Hasselbeck
Layne Staley
Chris Cornell

Last edited:
Hometown CT heroes..

Steve Young
Bill Romanowski
Jeff Bagwell
Charles Smith
Dwight Freeney
Brian Leetch

We also spawned Aaron Hernandez.
I cant think of a better childhood hero than Romanowski.

Marshall Faulk
Grant Fuhr
Brett Hull
Ozzie Smith
Kurt Warner

Back