Who were your most listened to artists in 2017? (SPOTIFY BRAHS GTFIH)

21 Savage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://2017wrapped.com/

Mine:

c0110dc59fa939d54f9b19fa6495d516.png

It also automatically creates a playlist of your top 100 songs (in order)

My 2017 was filled with a lot of stoner metal mixed with some ambient and ambient house. Thanks for the link. Listening to the top 100 now
e7BxRMR.png

I didn't use Spotify much. I looked up some old songs from Tony Hawk games on there and small things like that.

spotify-2017-wrapped.png

fh6Lmsl.png

Cut a bit short as I swapped to Tidal around October for the better quality. Still have Spotify for bigger selection but don't use it as much.

Yeah, this is about right. I try to avoid Spotify if I can.

bf6BI9a.jpg

How come you avoid Spotify? Traditionalist? Or don't like the morality of streaming?
A little of both. There's a really good article about how Spotify is changing the way people listen to music.

"But Spotify’s worth is more ephemeral. Its value—what makes it addictive for listeners, a necessity for artists, and a worthwhile investment for venture capitalists—lies in its algorithmic music discovery “products” and its ability to make the entire music industry conform to the new standards it sets. This means one thing: playlists are king, and particularly the ones curated by Spotify itself. An unprecedented amount of data (“skip rates” and “completion rates” determine whether a song survives) and “human-machine technology” are deployed to quantify your tastes. This is what lies behind the “magic” of Spotify.

Spotify’s front page “Browse” screen presents a classic illusion of choice, a stream of genre and mood playlists, charts, new releases, and now podcasts and video. It all appears limitless, a function of the platform’s infinite supply, but in reality it is tightly controlled by Spotify’s staff and dictated by the interests of major labels, brands, and other cash-rich businesses who have gamed the system. ... On Friday, there’s “New Music Friday,” a highly coveted and well trafficked playlist of mostly Top-40 content, thoroughly inaccessible to anyone but major labels."
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-muzak-pelly

I listen to (free) internet radio the most, a couple of stations in particular.

I listen to a lot of music on Youtube without actually watching the video's.

And of course, my own personal collection on Itunes.

Offline I have CD's, vinyl, and even a few old cassettes.

A little of both. There's a really good article about how Spotify is changing the way people listen to music.

"But Spotify’s worth is more ephemeral. Its value—what makes it addictive for listeners, a necessity for artists, and a worthwhile investment for venture capitalists—lies in its algorithmic music discovery “products” and its ability to make the entire music industry conform to the new standards it sets. This means one thing: playlists are king, and particularly the ones curated by Spotify itself. An unprecedented amount of data (“skip rates” and “completion rates” determine whether a song survives) and “human-machine technology” are deployed to quantify your tastes. This is what lies behind the “magic” of Spotify.

Spotify’s front page “Browse” screen presents a classic illusion of choice, a stream of genre and mood playlists, charts, new releases, and now podcasts and video. It all appears limitless, a function of the platform’s infinite supply, but in reality it is tightly controlled by Spotify’s staff and dictated by the interests of major labels, brands, and other cash-rich businesses who have gamed the system. ... On Friday, there’s “New Music Friday,” a highly coveted and well trafficked playlist of mostly Top-40 content, thoroughly inaccessible to anyone but major labels."

Interesting, I do agree that the commodification of music is pretty concerning and that article raises a lot of valid points....but for me, it's just so convenient for the amount of music I listen to and explore that I can't help but use it. I used to watch stuff on YouTube but it's not as good as it was a few years ago before they cracked down on copyright.

I don't use any of that front page stuff (apart from their personal recommendations occasionally, which is surprisingly good...whatever algorithm they use), I find the music I wanna listen to elsewhere but chances are Spotify has it so I go back and listen.

I have a small itunes collection of a few things not on streaming but I don't use it often, used to have a big one though.

And of course I also have my LP collection. I was thinking of starting a vinyl thread actually.

spotify-2017-wrapped.png Apparently I listened to Currents by Tame Impala a lot.

I don't really see the problem tbh

I don't really see the problem tbh
I'm not out here trying to get people to stop using Spotify. If you like it, well thats great. I was just saying why it really isn't for me.

Just downloaded the app on my XBONE a couple of months ago. My 2018 #'s will go way up.

No idea what deep chiptune is. Guess its Spotifys way of classifying deep house or chill/trance. Or more likely Synthwave. I listen to a lot of Synth.

-L-nLN98okuPqXFCGRY7.png

Last edited:
My 2017 was filled with a lot of stoner metal mixed with some ambient and ambient house. Thanks for the link. Listening to the top 100 now
e7BxRMR.png

Nice dude Kyuss, Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada and Orbital?? Bruuuhh.

Edit: Top 100 tracks..

Last edited:
Certainly not St. Vincent. I saw that chick on the Daily Show last night. Her music is so mediocre and soulless that I had to shoot my tv with an uzi. And the Deftones new album, the name of which I don’t know, was fucking awful. And they’re my favorite band. I’ve just given up on new music altogether. I think once you hit 30, you stop listening to new music. And i’m 6 years deep into that phase of my life.

I kind of stopped listening to contemporary music in the mid to late 2000s. I tried to make a list of my fav songs from the 2010s and it's pretty thin.

Certainly not St. Vincent. I saw that chick on the Daily Show last night. Her music is so mediocre and soulless that I had to shoot my tv with an uzi. And the Deftones new album, the name of which I don’t know, was fucking awful. And they’re my favorite band. I’ve just given up on new music altogether. I think once you hit 30, you stop listening to new music. And i’m 6 years deep into that phase of my life.

<{hughesimpress}>
St Vincent is great, new album is a bit of a let down other than a few songs though. Is this the first you have heard her?

I’ve resisted saying it but Gore was pretty mediocre. I’d say average if I felt the Deftones had a previous album that to me was as disappointing but I’ve loved everything they have put out to different degrees. I didn’t think anything was particularly bad about the record, just forgettable. Even their more uneven albums like Saturday Night Wrist and Deftones had several moments that have me coming back to them all the time. I’ve exhausted Gore trying to find the magic but I’ve never had to wait out Deftones before, so that was the first sign that they finally whiffed on an album.

As for Spotify, I don’t use it.

I’ve resisted saying it but Gore was pretty mediocre. I’d say average if I felt the Deftones had a previous album that to me was as disappointing but I’ve loved everything they have put out to different degrees. I didn’t think anything was particularly bad about the record, just forgettable. Even their more uneven albums like Saturday Night Wrist and Deftones had several moments that have me coming back to them all the time. I’ve exhausted Gore trying to find the magic but I’ve never had to wait out Deftones before, so that was the first sign that they finally whiffed on an album.

As for Spotify, I don’t use it.
I like a lot of songs on Saturday Night Wrist, as disjointed as that album was. It sounded that way because they wrote and recorded it in different places, over a somewhat long period of time I believe. Koi No Yokan was ok. But not all that great. Diamond Eyes was phenomenal. I didn’t know they still had it in them.

Gore sounds terrible to me because of the major key tonality they decided to use throughout the entire album. No doubt that is due to a little more Sergio Vega influence. His band Quicksand uses a lot of major key tonality and modulation. But that works for Quicksand. It doesn’t work for Deftones. But I realize they might be tired of playing a certain style after like 30 fucking years. So they can change it up if they want. I just don’t like it.

Also, the way Gore was engineered sounds awful. Not that it matters a lot to me. Adrenaline is one of the worst sounding albums I have ever heard. But I still love the songs.

Back