Who will be the next recruits to the emerging war for Asian MMA?

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that a war is brewing for primacy in Asian MMA. This has potential implications for the sport more widely, as well.

ONE Championship has significant amounts of venture capital at its disposal, has demonstrated an ability to put on events with high production values, has begun to recruit some prominent fighters such as Demetrious Johnson and Eddie Alvarez, and has ambitious plans to enter the (potentially) lucrative Japanese market in 2019. They have a number of home-grown names, including Angela Lee. In addition, their business model seems to be to become the premier combat sports brand across Asia, bringing high-level MMA, and kickboxing and boxing, under one umbrella. On the downside, their finances are murky (suspiciously so), they have no valuable broadcasting deals to speak of, and they struggle to sell any tickets to their events.

Rizin FC has struggled to penetrate the popular consciousness in Japan, as evidenced in their disappointing TV ratings. There have been rumours that the promotion could go under if matters don't improve soon. They are also a purely Japanese endeavour, as opposed to the pan-Asian aspirations of ONE. On the other hand, they have shown a capacity to run cards with high production value, have recruited a small number of premier fighters (Kyoji, Tenshin, a number of female atomweights, plus some starts of yesteryear since as Cro Cop) and have seemingly made a play for Floyd Mayweather. In addition they are also running both MMA and kickboxing bouts.

What will be next? ONE has aspirations of conquering Japan which is, per capita, by far Asia's richest country. That might be difficult, given the fact that the Japanese discriminate against foreign companies. On the other hand, there have been rumours that Tenshin was going to defect from Rizin and join ONE next year - I have no idea if the Floyd news will change this.

It seems to me that the key thing for both organisations is to recruit more outside talent. There are rumours of Sage Northcut joining ONE. I wouldn't be surprised if TRT Vitor Belfort makes a return in Asia. Who do you think will be recruited to this conflict next?

I could see Vitor in the Rizin ring like his days in Pride. That would be cool to see if they could get him for NYE or 2019 to fight. Cro Cop is fighting Jiri but I would also like to see Vitor vs. Jiri in 2019. It could be a 205 lbs fight.

It is common that Asian promotion don't do doping test so makes sense that many fighters want to compete there, even if they do doping test during the event it will not be the same as Usada does where they can knock the door during the Christmas eve and ask for a test

One still have problems with oppressing fighters and the payment for the beginners are ridiculous low, many fighters in One barely make 2000$ and some titlefights has been something like 3000$+3000$

Rizin is the best solution for the Asian mma and not One

One still have problems with oppressing fighters and the payment for the beginners are ridiculous low, many fighters in One barely make 2000$ and some titlefights has been something like 3000$+3000$

Rizin is the best solution for the Asian mma and not One

What is your source for the fighter pay?

What is your source for the fighter pay?

I have trained with fighters from Russia, Kazakhstan, Sweden, Brazil, Finland

Not so hard that they tell everything about One during the training

Fighting for a title for 3000$+3000$ is ridiculously low and disrespectful

It's a lot do money for someone from Kyrgyzstan though

Back