Who would you favor over a prime Tyson?

Floyd Patterson....who the fuck said that clown?

He was an absolute shitbag of a fighter, and would have fared worse than Peter McNeeley if he had of fought someone with the aura of Tyson(and he did when he fought Liston)

There may be only a few that would have a good chance, i would certainly put Ali, Lewis, Foreman and possibly Vitali in my list.
no he wasn't he was small, he went for heavyweight bucks when he was probably suited to the lightheavies and some people say middleweights. fine fighter, knowledgable about the sport, ali himself called him the best boxer which i guess meant best technician. He was too small to take the punishment, was protected as champion but went on to really defeat some top fighters, check out his record and you'd really be surprised.

At his peak, Mayweather was pound-for-pound the best boxer of the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Is there any HW in history you would favor to beat a prime Mike Tyson?

I think Vitali would have had a very good chance to beat him. Vitali was tall, rangy, awkward, and had an iron chin.

Imo Mike gets glorified a lot! He had tremendous talent and power but also was always unstable if he got pressured back. The fights against people were he has these great showcases of skill just arent against top talent. He wasnt as tough mentally as the other greats and as soon as he fired Roney regressed as a fighter big time.

I would favour prime Ridick Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Vitali, Foreman, Ibeabuchi

Old guard from 70s. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Norton, Liston (60s) , 80s Holmes

Would favour Mike against Wladimir, Golovka (prime) AJ, Wilder (that would be a journeyman fight in the 90s). Sure Wladimir could get him with a left hook, jab or right but he is just too terrified as soon as someone with power comes into punching distance. Mike would ko him.

Patterson was had the same trainer and had much faster hands. Maybe, the fastest hands of anyone hat heavyweight. It is not a stretch to think Patterson would beat him.

Walcott was incredibly coordinated and skilled at heavyweight. Go watch him. He passes my smell test. He was drummed the hell out of Marciano for 10 rounds.

Patterson wants nothing to do with punchers who come forward. Let alone one with some of the best head movement ever. Hed get absolutely destroyed within a couple rounds. Thats honestly one of the least competitive ATG fantasy matchups I can think of.

Walcott would likely get some rounds before he got put down. But he isnt making a decision.

anyone with that much heart has a shot. Joe said something very interesting, pre-holyfield "I really don't think mike hit's that hard" I think that true relatively speaking, How many times did he really shake up the guys who weren't rattled by him? holyfield? couple times, douglas? once. China chinned Lewis? never even hit him really. tyson did have power but lots of guys had power, some guys even had more power than him, his thing was, he had great speed too and defense at his best. still, it's a joke to watch some of his fights because a lot of those guys obviously just tanked it. Bruce Seldon did a horrible job as did about a third of Mike's opponents.
Not really. Heart isnt going to do much to stop concussive trauma. Saying he didnt hit hard is completely stupid. But yes, it was a combination of his speed/power/movement that made him so devastating.

It's a fact that he didn't fight a single ATG at their best. Closest was JMM and he brought him up a few weight classes.
Cotto was past it. Canelo was before it. Mosley was old AF. Pac was old AF. I get that you love American fighters but lets get real. Floyd doesn't have a great win on his record.
Stop lol. You can nitpick every single fighters record and its really stupid to try and discredit them.

Cotto went on to win titles higher up, looking the best he ever has. Mosley had just killed Margarito. Pac is younger than Floyd for fucks sake.

Patterson wants nothing to do with punchers who come forward. Let alone one with some of the best head movement ever. Hed get absolutely destroyed within a couple rounds. Thats honestly one of the least competitive ATG fantasy matchups I can think of.

Walcott would likely get some rounds before he got put down. But he isnt making a decision.

Liston and Foreman are the kind of fighters that do very well against a peekaboo fighters. With Patterson vs Liston, you have two peekaboo fighters fighting each other. I don't know if that has every really happened. Both are good and game. Both have very high KO records for being smallish heavyweights. Probably, the biggest difference is Patterson is a little smaller and faster and a better boxer in my opinion. .

Not really. Heart isnt going to do much to stop concussive trauma. Saying he didnt hit hard is completely stupid. But yes, it was a combination of his speed/power/movement that made him so devastating.
joe said that, i didn't, you're calling joe stupid. I'm saying he might not have hit as hard as some of us think. And I really doubt he was the hardest hitter of his time, it's the power combined with all that other stuff that made him lethal.

joe said that, i didn't, you're calling joe stupid. I'm saying he might not have hit as hard as some of us think. And I really doubt he was the hardest hitter of his time, it's the power combined with all that other stuff that made him lethal.
Ya, Im saying what he said is stupid. Tyson hit hard as fuck. No one called him the hardest hitter.

The thing with Tyson is that his movement and speed would often let him land bombs that people didnt see coming, and he also threw every punch with as bad of intentions as he could mustar up on it. He punched through their faces. You dont see guys torque their whole body like he did very often.

Ali, Lewis, Holyfield, prime Bowe and Vitali are close to 50-50.

Who I would favor if its Vegas?

Ali
probably Vitali in all honesty
Holmes probably.
Liston maybe
Lennox
Bowe

and than I would have to think.

I don't think Lewis would've taken prime Tyson. Lewis got KO'd in 2 rounds vs McCall, and in 5 rounds vs Rahman. That shows sloppy defense, and prime Tyson had explosive pinpoint accuracy.

tysons ko win over holmes was legit when you take into consideration how larry schooled prime mercer three years later and arguably beat prime lewis

No, that just tells you of the level of those modern boxers.

Ive heard that before. Ive also heard Foreman say he was slightly affraid of Tyson as well.

But all that mind game stuff aside I think Tysons speed, output, and relentlessness overwhelms Foreman rather easily. Ref stoppage early. Foreman is too slow to get through Tysons defensive moment and even then Tyson has a brick head and can take a ridiculous beating himself.

<Dylan>

Every fighter is slightly afraid of any decent opponent of his. That means nothing. By his own admission, Tyson was fking terrified every time he stepped into the ring.

Tyson's speed, output and relentlessness overwhelming Foreman ......hmm.....where have I seen that before......from someone even better.......oh yeah, vs Frazier and he got bounced out of there 9 times in 5 rounds.
He'd beat Foreman but because he's younger, faster and was in his time not because of anything else but lol that it's a given he'd KO him. Foreman took all of Moorer and never went down, same with Holyfield, Morrison, Cooper and Cooney. All very heavy hitters. Most of them very big guys and ALL of them say you just couldn't back him up. Tyson could very get demoralized, tied up, overpowered in there. And there was always the danger of getting Michael Moorer-ed in there.
This guy is considered one of the 2 heaviest hitters EVER. A power not born out of speed or athleticism or even a mental state of rage but out of pure unadulterated physical prowess.
What happened to Moorer is exactly what Tyson's handlers were trying to avoid. Chances are your man wins but there's a very good chance 30-20% that he gets clocked and put down. The longer a fight went, the more messier Tyson got. See him vs Razor Ruddock.
You don't think ppl would've paid to see him vs foreman ? But instead they fought bums. And if they're not 100% confident in their guy vs old foreman then forget about vs young Foreman. Foreman via sending lil Mike straight to the moon. You'd be seeing the Fanman up there bringing back Tyson on his shoulder to the ring instead of landing empty handed.

And lol at Tyson's supposed ability to take a beating. He cried like a lil girl and spazzed out every time the going got rough.

Quit a lot too.

<Dany07>

Back