Who would you pick to beat Roy Jones in his prime?

kensei

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If you could pick a fighter P4P who could beat Roy Jones JR. in his prime, who would it be?

Andre Ward.

If you could pick a fighter P4P who could beat Roy Jones JR. in his prime, who would it be?
Maybe Andre Ward. Gerald McClellan might have been interesting. Prime RJJ was unreal. The hand speed almost seemed superhero-like.

As a MW? Iegit don't know if there's anyone in history.

Nobody beats a prime RJJ at 160 or 168.

Hmmm....

Like at mw? Mayyyybe srr? But even than i dunno...

Smw.. maybe andre ward?

Lhw....bob foster i think would have been tough for him. And mike spinks

RJJ would comfortably decision Ward. I'd guess SRR at 160 but that's mostly just based on what people say about him who were around at the time.

Hmmm....

Like at mw? Mayyyybe srr? But even than i dunno...

Smw.. maybe andre ward?

Lhw....bob foster i think would have been tough for him. And mike spinks
was gonna say foster. didn't have the speed of rjj but he had frightening power and good skill.

Super Middleweight IDK but middleweight Canelo and GGG would knock him out.

At 175 there are several ATG that could give him a run for his money. Spinks and Foster were mentionned before, maybe Ward too. It's hard to figure out accurately how the likes of old timers such as Charles or Moore, with a blend of power and craft, would overcome Roy's speed advantage. I guess you can't write them out.

At 168, dunno whom this side of Ward... and I'd favor Roy in a close contest. Maybe prime Calzaghe's volume would work, but I think Roy stops him.

At 160 it takes some frigging speed. Maybe Leonard. Hard to discard SRR either. Hearns's reach and power can make it interesting.

Canelo and GGG would knock him out.

giphy.gif

Canelo's slow feet and GGG's predictable right hand can't get them anything but a wide decision loss against RJJ.

Essentially saying all anybody has is a puncher's chance

Back