Who would've won in a trilogy bout between Demetrious Johnson and Henry Cejudo?

Shay Brennan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In the first fight DJ crushed Cejudo with nasty body strikes.
In the rematch, Cejudo won a controversial decison, mainly thanks to his takedowns.

If this fight happened right after the first one, meaning both fighters were in their prime.
Who would you favour and who would you have been rooting for?

I feel like they should be 1 win DJ, 1 draw. When that 2nd fight was over, I didn't really feel like either guy lost and that they displayed they were evenly matched

Rematch should have happened right away but they didn't give a shit about DJ so that wasn't happening. I would have picked DJ

DJ.

He won that 2nd fight as well I believe. I’m not denying that Cejudo is an incredibly talented fighter, however for the size of the rewards and acclaim he got for his famous run of wins, they seem to come with quite a lot of caveats.

DJ controversial
TJ looked like Christian Bale in The Machinist
Moraes good win but that was the start of a complete and utter fall of a cliff for Marlon
Cruz by that point was a very occasional broken down by injuries.

All amazing opponents and names, all with some form of caveat to consider.

I feel like they should be 1 win DJ, 1 draw. When that 2nd fight was over, I didn't really feel like either guy lost and that they displayed they were evenly matched

Rematch should have happened right away but they didn't give a shit about DJ so that wasn't happening. I would have picked DJ
The rematch didn't happen because DJ wanted to go to ONE.

DJ. I think DJ has improved so much more than Henry since their last fight. And DJ is incredibly analytical. He is the king of making adjustments in rematches

Cejudo was on the way up and DJ on the way down ...
Mighty Mouse left the UFC and became The ONE Flyweight Champion.

So I don’t think he declined. It was a controversial decision… Mighty Mouse TKO’d him the First Fight and the Second was Razor Close.

I think Mighty Mouse could’ve come back and won that Trilogy. That Trilogy between those two was a big “what if” fight that goes under the radar, IMHO. Bad mistake for The UFC to let him go, but The UFC disrespected the guy so much, so I’m glad he went off and became Champion in ONE.

In the first fight DJ crushed Cejudo with nasty body strikes.
In the rematch, Cejudo won a controversial decison, mainly thanks to his takedowns.

If this fight happened right after the first one, meaning both fighters were in their prime.
Who would you favour and who would you have been rooting for?
I thought Johnson won the second fight and he managed that with a partially torn LCL; he'd perform even better without the injury if there were a trilogy.

As far as rematches for Johnson, I always thought he should've fought Cruz at UFC 199. Johnson would've been coming off the TKO finish of Cejudo and unlike the first time he fought Cruz, he was actually training full time by this point and Cruz at UFC 199 was probably the best version we could've gotten post-2011.

Last edited:
With good judges, he already won the trilogy. Third would just determine if he swept it or not

Back