Who's dropped out of college?

Are you looking for confirmation bias on a decision you want to make? I know many that have dropped out of college or never went at all. Some are doing very well, some are not.

Not at all. Just curious. I make threads about everything. Been done w/ school a while ago.

About halfway through my degree I was burnt out and considering it. Ended up taking a term "off" enrolled in a bunch of unrelated electives, contemplating switching programs. In the end I succumbed to the sunk cost fallacy and finished. Now I'm working a well paying job in my field which I hate, like everyone else.

I dunno, even with hindsight dropping out seems like the nuclear option. Then again many degrees are basically expensive rolls of toilet paper these days...

Yeah. Was just getting to the point where the material gets difficult, and was putting 100% effort in. Then I suddenly became homeless right in the middle of practicals. So... disappointing to say the least. Would like to go back some day, but don't know if that's realistic at this point/

I didn't but a few friends of mine dropped out but they have great jobs now.
I certainly can't blame anyone who was studying something like history and dropped out. The world only has room for so many Indiana Jones types. The other option would be a teacher, or open a history factory.

I also think that another great thread would be to ask who actually works in the same field that they studied.

I majored in Philosophy.

Therefore staying is just as worthless as finishing!

<codychoke>

About halfway through my degree I was burnt out and considering it. Ended up taking a term "off" enrolled in a bunch of unrelated electives, contemplating switching programs. In the end I succumbed to the sunk cost fallacy and finished. Now I'm working a well paying job in my field which I hate, like everyone else.

I dunno, even with hindsight dropping out seems like the nuclear option. Then again many degrees are basically expensive rolls of toilet paper these days...

I think it is more specific than that in the US at least. The degrees won't necessarily get you into your career, but a graduate degree probably will. The bachelors is devalued more because Masters degrees are more common now.

A true philosophical question. Is earning a Philosophy degree the same as never going to college at all.

In less than most ways, yes.
ucmca5f682nb3oeo4e5415cb4au2u6dl.gif

Last edited:
What were the circumstances, and do you regret it?

As far as here in the U.S., you can be successful without a college degree, but I would say that is a small number of people, and it depends on what they are doing. Depends on how you define 'success'. Financially? Over $50,000 a year? A college degree also helps determine how much you make. Most companies will not even look at you if you don't have a college degree, not if you want to fill the positions that pay $70,000 on up.

College for me was like a rite of passage. I don't remember anything from my major - Psychology (BA). There is also the whole social aspect and experience. Women, friends, and the great discussions in the classroom. It is a higher level from high school.

Today you can get a good degree online, which takes a lot more discipline to complete. Bachelors, Masters, and PhD. But the best education is really time and experience. Learning from the mistakes you and others make.

Dropped out of highschool my sophomore year and got home schooled and ended up with a diploma. Graduated a few years ago from college with a degree in electrical engineering. Had to do a lot of self teaching when it came to math.

I dropped out 3 times, but made it all the way to the finish line the 4th time. I have no regrets because it was a sweet experience the 4th time....it was like it was meant to be.

I dropped out 3 times, but made it all the way to the finish line the 4th time. I have no regrets because it was a sweet experience the 4th time....it was like it was meant to be.
{<BJPeen}

I dropped out three-quarters of my first year through IT studies when I was seventeen. I just couldn’t get my head around Programming and Code at the time so I switched to System Support. I didn’t have the passion for it and I was dealing with quite severe social anxiety and other behavioural issues at the time.

I don’t regret dropping off that path but I wish that I could turn back time and find another path through college instead, especially whilst it was free.

I did some distance learning when I was 25, with the Open University and got myself a Cert HE in Natural Sciences. Same thing happened. Depression, Social Anxiety, Social Isolation and living in an absolute dive with poor equipment and just a dongle for internet. I couldn’t get the group meetings to work either. I wanted to see it all the way through, but I applied for the Royal Navy instead as I felt like it would have been a far better solution for my problems (a full career, sports, friends, travel etc), and stopped once I got the Cert HE. Navy didn’t work out due to me failing a medical (childhood epilepsy was treated late).

I’ve always respected acedemics and I’ve always wanted to be one. I have a poor short-term memory however and my willpower for doing things that I don’t really want to do is low.

I regret not shutting myself away in libraries after school and not doing better at high school, as I need that structure to be able to fully focus. I also wish that I didn’t put so much time into video games and stayed away from my old homes for the most part.

College for me was like a rite of passage. I don't remember anything from my major - Psychology (BA). There is also the whole social aspect and experience. Women, friends, and the great discussions in the classroom. It is a higher level from high school.

thats definitely a good way of putting it. And its just the education in general, its not only about what youre studying, it gives you a certain wider outlook which can be useful in many ways, even behaviour wise.
And people often speak how its a useless piece of paper. Id say the truth is in the middle. Creating your own business and the like, yeah, you probabily will never use it. But otherwise in many situations when applying its either a condition or just in a general way opens doors for you that might otherwise be closed for someone without a degree.

Oh yeah, I also dropped out...had 4 years behind me, 2 exams left but never finished.... I got so fed up with it, was also doing stupid things at that time but a big part was this professor cunt that wouldnt let me pass. 6 times I did the exam and for each time you also had to do all the seminar and practical work again. There were no 6s , either 10 or you fail. I know I shouldve done sth, reported her or whatever,if that would do anything but I was so tired of it I just said (unfortunately) f+ck it all.

I did.

Dropped out. Joined the Marines. Figured shit out. Became a firefighter.

No regrets.

I got a degree... A Master's even, but I still think college is overrated. Although it is starting to change, the mainstream thought is that without College it is impossible to make money. College is merely a means to an end, if you are making money without it very well.

Dropped out after a year because I had no idea what I wanted to major in (much less do for a career), and I didn't want to bury myself while figuring it out. So I joined the Navy.

I went back after the Navy and finished though. It still took me a few semesters to settle on a major (double in Math and Phil), but at least it was free.

thats definitely a good way of putting it. And its just the education in general, its not only about what youre studying, it gives you a certain wider outlook which can be useful in many ways, even behaviour wise.
And people often speak how its a useless piece of paper. Id say the truth is in the middle. Creating your own business and the like, yeah, you probabily will never use it. But otherwise in many situations when applying its either a condition or just in a general way opens doors for you that might otherwise be closed for someone without a degree.

Oh yeah, I also dropped out...had 4 years behind me, 2 exams left but never finished.... I got so fed up with it, was also doing stupid things at that time but a big part was this professor cunt that wouldnt let me pass. 6 times I did the exam and for each time you also had to do all the seminar and practical work again. There were no 6s , either 10 or you fail. I know I shouldve done sth, reported her or whatever,if that would do anything but I was so tired of it I just said (unfortunately) f+ck it all.

This is tragic. That's the point of no return, I would never let that shit go.

Back